"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 1 of 32, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Glad they listed "Secret of Vulcan Fury" at the top. This is one of those games where I wish someone would rescue the code (IOW, release it) before Interplay loses it like Origin did with their Ultima 7 code.

While I'm at it, someone rescue the "Babylon 5" sim from Sierra that was about 94% completed when it was cancelled (while at the same time "Professional Bullriding" was given a "green light"... *cringe*).

All that time, money, and effort...for nothing.

OTOH, the "Warcraft Adventures" was no big loss. Budget animation cut-scenes being done by people in a far-away country that knew virtually nothing about Warcraft and a storyline about the poor Orcs being oppressed by the terrible humans (apparently we were supposed ignore everything that happened in Warcraft I and II).

Reply 2 of 32, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

While I'm at it, someone rescue the "Babylon 5" sim from Sierra that was about 94% completed when it was cancelled

*sniff* 🙁
http://www.playdevil.com/shots/b/Babylon5/Babylon5.html

That game looked incredible. I heard it used all the same 3D models (well, probably pared down some) that they used in production...

Stiletto

Reply 3 of 32, by LSD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

While I'm at it, someone rescue the "Babylon 5" sim from Sierra that was about 94% completed when it was cancelled (while at the same time "Professional Bullriding" was given a "green light"... *cringe*).

Seen this?

http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/babylon/

It isn't Into the Fire but it'll probably be the next best thing.

Wasurenaide...
...watashi ga iru koto o.
Itsudatte soba ni iru yo.

Gentoo. Because everything else is just shit. 😁
Registered Linux user #319839

Reply 4 of 32, by [vEX]

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Originally posted by Stiletto
Reminds me of this old article:
http://videogames.gamespot.com/features/universal/graveyard/

Hmm, on that page they mention Thrill Kill (Playstation game).
Still, there exist not one, but two copies on the net.
One is a very early beta and hasn't any music/videos while the other is said to be the complete thing (I myself have a copy of the latter). Someone told me way back that it infact was on sale for a few days and then called back 'cause of all the violence and such.

Antec P182B | Asus P8Z77-V PRO | Intel i5 3570k | 16GB DDR3 | 4TB HDD | Pioneer BDR-207D | Asus Xonar DX | Altec Lansing CS21 | Eizo EV2736W-BK | Arch Linux (64-bit/x86_64)

Reply 5 of 32, by Kyl3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Graphics of babylon 5 look very similar to sierra's homeworld.. like'd that game though.

Never cared for the babylon 5 series.. hated those cardboard sets.. To easy (thin) storyline.. maybe the series got better later on but my first impression ruined it..

Thnx for sharing that link.. I enjoyed reading that !!

Reply 6 of 32, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kyl3 wrote:

Graphics of babylon 5 look very similar to sierra's homeworld..

Considering it premeired in 1994, it makes more sense to compare it's imagery to that time. At that time, only theatrical movies had anything comparable.

Never cared for the babylon 5 series.. hated those cardboard sets..

Cardboard sets? You're doing room analysis?

To easy (thin) storyline..

Compared to what?

Reply 7 of 32, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
LSD wrote:

Seen this?

http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/babylon/

It isn't Into the Fire but it'll probably be the next best thing.

Noo, I hadn't. Woohoo! 😀

Stiletto

Reply 8 of 32, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
[vEX] wrote:

Hmm, on that page they mention Thrill Kill (Playstation game).
Still, there exist not one, but two copies on the net.
One is a very early beta and hasn't any music/videos while the other is said to be the complete thing (I myself have a copy of the latter). Someone told me way back that it infact was on sale for a few days and then called back 'cause of all the violence and such.

Geez, I hadn't read the article in a while. The next time you mention a game in there, please provide a link. In this case:
http://videogames.gamespot.com/features/unive … ard/sony17.html
http://videogames.gamespot.com/features/unive … yard/sony18.tml

Anyhow, it's an old article. For example, in the Arcade section, Judge Dredd was found and is now in MAME, Primal Rage 2 and Tenth Degree are lovingly archived/hoarded (although they will not be publicly and illegally distributed with any amount of pleading - http://www.safestuff.com/mystuff.htm) as is Metal Maniax (http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?game_id=1952)

😀

Stiletto

Reply 9 of 32, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
LSD wrote:

Seen this?

Actually, I remember hearing about it some time ago. They've obviously put a lot of TLC into the models and texture mapping. Those "organic" ships must be downright painful to model, but the EA ships look just about identical to the production models.

I'll take it, thanks. Still want the Sierra sim though...

Reply 10 of 32, by Targaff

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just don't understand why the B5 game was canned; it's not like there wasn't demand for it, and I somehow doubt that it was that awful (definitely not compared to the aforementioned bullriding game, anyhow... geez).

I wonder, though, whether they had the same ignorance toward the demand level as Warner did. JM Straczynski posted on Firstones about their reactions to the sales of the Season 1 DVD:

All I'll say is that Warners is, apparently, stunned.

and

I don't know if they'll be able to move up the date, which last I heard was about April, but I did hear the other day that they want to get the next set up and running asap. It's suddenly become a priority item.

Who'd've imagined?

If that's the case, Sierra are as much losers in this as we are...

Reply 11 of 32, by Kyl3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Originally posted by Nicht Sehr Gut […]
Show full quote

Originally posted by Nicht Sehr Gut

Considering it premeired in 1994, it makes more sense to compare it's imagery to that time. At that time, only theatrical movies had anything comparable.

Cardboard sets? You're doing room analysis?

Compared to what?

I'm sorry.. I never intended any offense.

In the netherlands babylon 5 was "probably" very late broadcasted.. I think I saw it the first time around 1998.
I also never cared for sgi graphics.. so I judged the looks by the cardboard sets..

In comparisson to startrek ds9 it looks kinda cheesy.. storyline erm.. no it's surrounding universe including..

About cheesy sets.. I really enjoyed the movie Dune which I also saw the first time around those day's.. Which was more dated.. but not really comparable so I think I'm blattering now..

Hmm I hope U understand.

(I like startrek enterprise nowadays!!)

Reply 12 of 32, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In comparisson to startrek ds9 it looks kinda cheesy.. storyline erm.. no it's surrounding universe including..

Bablyon 5 looks cheesy compared to DS9? BWAHAHAHAH! Now that's rich!

I like startrek enterprise nowadays!!)

This explains much. No further comments from me. 😀

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 13 of 32, by LSD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kyl3 wrote:

I also never cared for sgi graphics..

Believe it or not, B5s effects were done on Amigas (as were SeaQuest DSVs).

Wasurenaide...
...watashi ga iru koto o.
Itsudatte soba ni iru yo.

Gentoo. Because everything else is just shit. 😁
Registered Linux user #319839

Reply 14 of 32, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by LSD Believe it or not, B5s effects were done on Amigas (as were SeaQuest DSVs).

They needed whole farms of them to render the animations in time for production, they shifted to PC's later when Lightwave became available for them (which was good as Commodore had imploded itself by then).

And about the DS9 comparison, until B5 came along Sci-Fi shows on TV followed the standard formula of extremely expensive model filming that was recycled endlessly. B5 allowed us to see whole battles from start to finish, instead of relying on a character's description of events. Also B5 was a lot closer to real-world than many other SF "franchises".

Final note. Paramount got the great idea for a series about a space station shortly after they had rejected JM Straczynski's idea for a space station series. Fancy that.

Reply 15 of 32, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kyl3 wrote:

About cheesy sets.. I really enjoyed the movie Dune which I also saw the first time around those day's.. Which was more dated..

1984, to be precise. Obviously, a TV series cannot run with the budget of a motion picture (can't bring in enough profit to justify that). Also, DUNE is a very different story.

Apparently your problem seems to be the "plain-ness" of the general appearance of the station's interior. That's just logic. It wouldn't make sense if the station was full of "entertaining" sets.

Reply 16 of 32, by Lobivopsis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

They needed whole farms of them to render the animations in time for production, they shifted to PC's later when Lightwave became available for them (which was good as Commodore had imploded itself by then).

Lightwave still has the best modeler around. (they're about to go to version 8 BTW)

Reply 17 of 32, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

To bring that topic a bit more on topic again:
Even though Ultima 9 WAS released eventually one could argue that the unfinished/scraped incarnations of U9 should count as well. The screenshots were great and the story was supposed to be a whole lot better.
Unfortunately Ultima Online interfeered.

Reply 18 of 32, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Dominus Even though Ultima 9 WAS released eventually one could argue that the unfinished/scraped incarnations of U9 should count as well. The screenshots were great and the story was supposed to be a whole lot better.

At least it was released. Anyway, the patch/mod by fans apparently goes a long way to resolving those issues.

Reply 19 of 32, by Lobivopsis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

They should have done a 1024x768 16-bit color 2D game instead of that 3D crap IMHO. Only recently have 3-D graphics started to be able to approach the detail of 2D artwork.

Also, this fixation on "realistic" 3D by PC developers has me baffled. Despite the lower specs I find the character and graphics designs in the typical "cartoony" console game more visually pleasing. (Panzer Dragoon Orta made my jaw hit the floor)