VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just thought I'd ask cause that's been kinda my bug for a while. I used to shoot Polaroid 600 Instant Film when I could buy it when I was younger and now I'm into Instax film (I own an Instax Mini 8, Instax Wide 210, Lomo'Instant Automat Glass, and I've just ordered a Lomo'Instant Wide) but I've also got a bunch of Sony Mavica Floppy Disk cameras, a Panasonic PV-SD4090 Super Disk camera and two Sony NEX cameras also (for modern HD photography). It's a neat hobby and I always love messing around with cameras to see what you can achieve.

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 1 of 12, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I currently have a Pentax K-30 as my main camera but want to get the K-1 Mk II, which is a full frame.

I just don't have a lot of time for photography.

When we were moving offices where I used to work, I found one of those old Sony Mavica with floppy drive and brought it home. Still work fine and the battery even holds a charge. I hadn't used one of those cameras since around the year 2000.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 12, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-03-14, 18:52:

I currently have a Pentax K-30 as my main camera but want to get the K-1 Mk II, which is a full frame.

I just don't have a lot of time for photography.

When we were moving offices where I used to work, I found one of those old Sony Mavica with floppy drive and brought it home. Still work fine and the battery even holds a charge. I hadn't used one of those cameras since around the year 2000.

Nice, didn't even know Pentax was still around. 🤣 Also yeah those old Mavicas are pretty cool, they use Lithium Ion Batteries so they are often still good. I still find it cool that it's a camera that uses floppy diskettes. 🤣 Too bad they never came out with a Camera model with Zip discs or something.

Reply 3 of 12, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
King_Corduroy wrote on 2021-03-14, 21:22:

🤣 Too bad they never came out with a Camera model with Zip discs or something.

hmm? ^^
https://www.digitalkameramuseum.de/en/prototy … ies/item/zipcam

at least agfa sold a camera using the click/PocketZip disks though.
https://www.digitalkameramuseum.de/en/cameras … photo-cl30-clik

I'm into photgraphy but I pretty much just use my modern camera.

I do have some vintage video gear though, tube cameras from the 60s ^^

Reply 4 of 12, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
imi wrote on 2021-03-14, 21:44:
hmm? ^^ https://www.digitalkameramuseum.de/en/prototy … ies/item/zipcam […]
Show full quote

🤣 Too bad they never came out with a Camera model with Zip discs or something.

hmm? ^^
https://www.digitalkameramuseum.de/en/prototy … ies/item/zipcam

at least agfa sold a camera using the click/PocketZip disks though.
https://www.digitalkameramuseum.de/en/cameras … photo-cl30-clik

I'm into photgraphy but I pretty much just use my modern camera.

I do have some vintage video gear though, tube cameras from the 60s ^^

Oh man! I wish they'd have sold that cause I would buy one right now. Sadly seems to have been just a prototype. The pocket one is interesting though. 🤣

Reply 5 of 12, by pixelatedscraps

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

New Vogons user here. Photography is my bread & butter (jam). I own and operate a studio based in Hong Kong with plans to open a branch in Berlin soon.

We use Canon, Sony and Mac almost exclusively and are predominantly a commercial lifestyle studio. Software-side we are using Capture One and Adobe. But I suspect if we are on Vogons, the topic should be which vintage gear do I use in my downtime 😉

Here are some of my favourites that I have on rotation:

Mamiya 6 with 50mm f/4 G lens loaded with Tri-X, Delta 100 or Aerochrome
Leica M4 with 35mm f/2.8 Summaron
Yashica T4 Super
Nikon FM2 with 50mm f/1.4
Nikon 35AF
Olympus XA4
Olympus 35 SPN

And don't even get me started on the Soviet-era rangefinders...

My ultimate dual 440LX / Voodoo2 SLI build

Reply 6 of 12, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tbh since this is milliways I was just looking for anything not even vintage (although I'm definitely into vintage stuff, especially instant film at the moment.) That's super cool! Also yeah I'm big into the soviet era stuff as well, I wish there were some instant cameras from the eastern block but it appears there was only one and it's a 40's - 50's kodak style one from the looks of it. I do own three soviet watches though! Two Raketa and one Poljot, awesome looking things but they don't keep time the best. 😜

Ever see the Magny 35'? It's an instant back (bottom?) for 35mm cameras that lets you shoot instax square film with any SLR. 🤣 Pretty cool shit honestly!

Reply 7 of 12, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice, didn't even know Pentax was still around.

Yes, they 'still' are. Ricoh owns the brand and doesn't invest a lot of money in it. They currently don't have a mirrorless camera, in fact, they want to focus on DSLR with a pentaprism and make it better.

pixelatedscraps wrote on 2021-03-16, 03:35:
Photography is my bread & butter (jam). I own and operate a studio based in Hong Kong with plans to open a branch in Berlin soon […]
Show full quote

Photography is my bread & butter (jam). I own and operate a studio based in Hong Kong with plans to open a branch in Berlin soon.

We use Canon, Sony and Mac almost exclusively and are predominantly a commercial lifestyle studio. Software-side we are using Capture One and Adobe. But I suspect if we are on Vogons, the topic should be which vintage gear do I use in my downtime 😉

Here are some of my favourites that I have on rotation:

Mamiya 6 with 50mm f/4 G lens loaded with Tri-X, Delta 100 or Aerochrome
Leica M4 with 35mm f/2.8 Summaron
Yashica T4 Super
Nikon FM2 with 50mm f/1.4
Nikon 35AF
Olympus XA4
Olympus 35 SPN

And don't even get me started on the Soviet-era rangefinders...

That's so nice if you can actually earn a living with photography. I guess you need to have the right contacts (which I don't). I've spent a LOT of money on photography gear as an amateur and never earned a penny with it, except indirectly with the product photography I do for my webshop (for which I don't use my pro cameras haha).

I also own several classic / vintage film cameras, like a Nikon FA and Nikon F-501, but I'm totally not interested in range finder cameras.

I only spend money on three brands: Canon, Nikon and Pentax. It just gets out of control if you don't adhere to some rules 🤣 xD

I'm not really a collector by the way, I actually use my cameras. I especially like street photography.

Reply 8 of 12, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm into photography, even if I have not been able to / wanted to go anywhere to take any photos in the last year!

I'm not even an amateur, I have a basic DSLR and 18-55 lense. I just like composing and playing around with aperture and shutter speed. I like landscapes, nature and "things" more than people and emotions.

I think there is a thread already on Vogons for photographers.

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 9 of 12, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not really that much, but my wife is. That's part of how we met, she did photos of my band at our relearsal space back in May 2010, I asked our drummer how I could get in touch with her, he got me her number (she worked where he did), and we are like soul mates on the sides of music. That said, her aunt just gave us a bunch of old Photography gear from the 1980's - like actual 9mm cameras from the 80's, I think they were Cannons, and super high end, and a Tripod. I'm trying to learn the tech on some of that stuff to maintain it.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 10 of 12, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Almoststew1990 wrote on 2021-03-19, 18:45:

I'm not even an amateur, I have a basic DSLR and 18-55 lense. I just like composing and playing around with aperture and shutter speed.

Then you probably already know a lot more about photography than most folks who can barely operate their phone camera haha. You don't really need an expensive camera and lens to take nice, interesting photos. Better gear expands your ability to take photos whatever the circumstances and can make taking photos easier. The light(ing) (and your knowledge there of) and your creativity are much more important.

I really like photography, not just for the artistic / creative aspect. It gives me a reason to go outside, take a walk, visit places I don't know.

Reply 11 of 12, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's a few Instax shots I took Wednesday night at about 12am during some light rain. I still got soaked but it was a good first test of my new Lomo'Instant Wide. 🤣

5XqBH1s.jpg
Most proud of this one, I can't believe how well it turned out!

nkh30K1.jpg
Sadly there was a drop of rain at the top of the lens so you can see how the light caught it at the top of the frame. 🤣

Reply 12 of 12, by pixelatedscraps

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SpectriaForce wrote on 2021-03-18, 14:16:

Nice, didn't even know Pentax was still around.

That's so nice if you can actually earn a living with photography. I guess you need to have the right contacts (which I don't). I've spent a LOT of money on photography gear as an amateur and never earned a penny with it, except indirectly with the product photography I do for my webshop (for which I don't use my pro cameras haha).

Well, times are tough right now let me tell you that. And prior to Covid-Wuhan flu, 2019 was also a tough year for small businesses in Hong Kong with the huge unrest and crackdown. I'm very lucky that my partner (also my wife and mother to our child) is perhaps the more talented in our studio and covers the areas of photography that I don't have much interest or skill in so we are able to survive when one sector of the industry is down (i.e. hospitality, travel editorial and airlines).

It's definitely not easy and the path to owning a studio (7+ years now) that can sustain itself in a world where imagery is being consumed and demanded at a voracious rate is terrifying. Quite frankly, if I knew 7 years ago what I know now, I would have chosen a different path. Banking? Trading? Eugh.

My ultimate dual 440LX / Voodoo2 SLI build