VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by nemo1217

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Back in the late 90s, my home PC was a IBM Aptiva with Pentium 133Mhz.
When I visited my father's office, I poked around on my father's office PC and the Pentium MMX chip (233 or 200 I forgot) was a
night and day difference for me. It was so much snappier than my home PC.

Then in the early 00s, my new home PC was equipped with a Pentium 4 1.4 GHz Willamette chip. I always wanted a Athlon Thunderbird but the sales person persuaded my parents to buy a Pentium 4. (E.g. AMD chips are very hot, not compatible with all programs , 🤣)
Luckily, that Motherboard(Asus P4T) died after 2 years and I ended up getting a Athlon XP 1800+. (I swear the motherboard died "on itself".)
Even without gaming, I can feel the performance difference between the old PC and new PC. It's so much snappier.

But things were different after that.
I got a Thinkpad X220 with a Sandy Bridge chip in 2011. I used that for ~ 5 years and even when it retired in 2016, I never got the feeling that it is slow.
Now my daily driver is a Ryzen 3800x. I also have a X58 XP retro system running a Xeon 5675.
Honestly speaking, when both are running Windows 10 and I am not gaming, I can not feel the speed difference between them.

What kind of speed difference are you able to feel ? How was your journey on that ?

Reply 2 of 7, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can't see the difference between a Ryzen 3800X and a XEON 5675 when not gaming... ummmmm....

My father-in-law got a Ryzen 2xxx series based laptop and it is so crazy quick that it is very easy to tell the difference between in and a laptop running a high end Intel 4th gen based laptop... for that matter, it is snappier than an Intel based laptop that has an I7-8650U.

At one point I was running an x58 setup with a XEON X5675 that I had overclocked quite a bit. That system was really slow in daily tasks compared to a 4930k. Then I went to a XEON E5-1680v2 and that was not all that noticeable in daily tasks.

As for really old stuff back in the day.... jump from 386sx to 486DX2-66 was quite a jump as was the jump from that to an AMD 5x86 133.

Then the jump to a K6-2 was huge as was the jump to Slot-A Athlon and then to Socket-A Athlon and then to Socket 939, and then to LGA775 with a Q6600 G0.

All of those were quite large jumps.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 7, by nemo1217

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-04-17, 07:01:
You can't see the difference between a Ryzen 3800X and a XEON 5675 when not gaming... ummmmm.... […]
Show full quote

You can't see the difference between a Ryzen 3800X and a XEON 5675 when not gaming... ummmmm....

My father-in-law got a Ryzen 2xxx series based laptop and it is so crazy quick that it is very easy to tell the difference between in and a laptop running a high end Intel 4th gen based laptop... for that matter, it is snappier than an Intel based laptop that has an I7-8650U.

At one point I was running an x58 setup with a XEON X5675 that I had overclocked quite a bit. That system was really slow in daily tasks compared to a 4930k. Then I went to a XEON E5-1680v2 and that was not all that noticeable in daily tasks.

As for really old stuff back in the day.... jump from 386sx to 486DX2-66 was quite a jump as was the jump from that to an AMD 5x86 133.

Then the jump to a K6-2 was huge as was the jump to Slot-A Athlon and then to Socket-A Athlon and then to Socket 939, and then to LGA775 with a Q6600 G0.

Ah. One thing I forgot to mention is that X5675 does feel slow out of the box. But when you enable high-performance power mode, it becomes much snappier.
I would attribute this to the inferior power management on older CPUs. Maybe they don't boost or go out of idle state(from Px to P0) as fast as modern chips. But when they are running at good clock speed, it's in deed very snappy.

Reply 4 of 7, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
nemo1217 wrote on 2021-04-17, 07:25:
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-04-17, 07:01:
You can't see the difference between a Ryzen 3800X and a XEON 5675 when not gaming... ummmmm.... […]
Show full quote

Ah. One thing I forgot to mention is that X5675 does feel slow out of the box. But when you enable high-performance power mode, it becomes much snappier.
I would attribute this to the inferior power management on older CPUs. Maybe they don't boost or go out of idle state(from Px to P0) as fast as modern chips. But when they are running at good clock speed, it's in deed very snappy.

I had mine overclocked with no power saving features enabled. All cores were running at the same speed. I was on the x58 platform for quite a few years. The jump to x79 was pretty large.

Was also running DDR3-2000 on it in triple channel mode.

I originally had an i7-920 and it decided to start having problems and then just die completely. I forget what I had it overclocked to.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 7, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I definitely could tell the difference between my i7 860 and 3700X when not gaming. It wasn't a huge difference but it was there. Less so for my 4770K and 3700X when just faffing on the desktop.

It's also storage related. One had an SATA3 SSD and one had an NVMe SSD.

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 6 of 7, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Once your PC has the CPU speed it needs for day to day use (non gaming) it will seem much as any other, even one with a much better passmark

operating systems tend to run at a certain pace and slow downs or stutters are rarely CPU speed related these days

usually what differences there are will be more down to GPU, memory speed, hard disk speed (i.e. using ssd) and other factors (motherboard, cpu cache etc)

the PC needs to be tasked with something considerable like a game or video encoding or something like that before you appreciate the difference.

Reply 7 of 7, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The fact that plenty of S775 based PC's are still used for office work is proof speed gains aren't what they used to be.
Video or script heavy web pages are probably the most demanding workload for a general daily driver PC and if your not visiting badly coded sites like these then its doubtful you''' notice a night and day difference.

2 main laptops I use are my own from 2008 and works from 2016. Start up time is the biggest difference but this is probably just as much to do with the SSD vs Spinning rust in my own and playing videos off the web full screen which will take a few seconds to buffer vs works which plays instantly. Neither are making me consider upgrading a laptop that's over 10 years old.