VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by dnewhous

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have tested using a Yamaha FB-01 sound module and a M-Audio Uno (compatible back to 98SE) and the external synth does work with Alib/Soundblaster midi modes. It sounds so much like DOSBox that I imagine that it is the basis of DOSBox. There is a rack mountable version, the Yamaha FSR1, that might be useful for OPL4 emulation. AWE32 MIDI mode, which must be OPL3 mode, does not work in DOSBox or DOSBox -X.

The manual does not say what type of synthesis chip it has. Part of the reason to do with this is to prove that MIDI worked before Roland too over the technology than 1988, because this is pre-Sound Canvas technology.

Last edited by dnewhous on 2021-05-29, 12:33. Edited 1 time in total.

Daniel L Newhouse

Reply 1 of 4, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The FB-01 uses the YM2164:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_YM2164

Edit:
The Yamaha DX7, which was released in 1983 also has MIDI. This article also mentions the Prophet 600, which was the first MIDI synth:
http://www.vintagesynth.com/yamaha/dx7.php
http://www.vintagesynth.com/sci/p600.php

I have a really old MIDI card made by Syntech. The model is "Standard MIDI Interface".

The box and manual only mention the C64 and Apple IIe / + , but the box also has an IBM sticker on it.

Last edited by cyclone3d on 2021-05-13, 23:12. Edited 1 time in total.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 4, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's pre-GM, so won't sound great as a GM sound module. But it is IBM Music Feature Card compatible, with scali's DOSBox fork or SoftIMFC:

Re: The Yamaha FB-01/IBM Music Feature Card support thread!!

Reply 3 of 4, by dnewhous

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oops, I flubbed my test. I forgot, I need to set oplmode to none to test whether the FB-01 works with DOSBox or not. No, it does not work. And DOSBox kind of hangs up with it.

DOSBox does not hang when I put the module in receive all mode by pressing the system setup mode multiple times. The line in on my onboard audio is not working. This is a sign I may need a new computer.

I tested the line in with a portable CD player, and it does work. Using a Yamaha synth is not going to work.

I tried DOSBox -X 0.83.11.

oplmode = none
oplemu = compat
oplport = auto

I hear a faint whine for the BGM, it's as if there were a trumpet stuck on one note.

I can hear the feedback clearly if I disconnect the line in and touch it with my thumb.

I can hear how OPL3 compat mode enables an eerie warbling for the BGM that leaves the Soniqbear disappointing. I can get General MIDI to work.

There is a setting in DOSBox -X for record FM (OPL) output. It produces DRO output. My dreams have all come true. Thanks, Ozzy.

Are there any settings necessary to get that to work? It's nice if DOSBox -X would put a checkmark next to that option if that output were engaged.

Anyway, with oplmu = mame and with protect = off on the FB-01 the volume mixer does display line in as if there were a signal detected. There is still no background music with XCom on Adlib/Soundblaster mode.

Other information, the sequencer that goes with an FB01 is the QX21 and there is no official automation file (that's what it's called!) that goes with the unit.

For the FSR1, which is the rack mountable unit, the automation files have extension .fseq (format sequence). But the device is not meant to be plugged into a computer directly, it is meant to be used with a keyboard workstation.

I'm curious what the automation file type was for the IBM Music Feature card, the manual had this to say

The IBM PC Music Feature card sends and
receives on MIDI channel 1 when powered on. The
card can send or receive on any of the 16 available
MIDI channels, with the appropriate software
applications.

Last edited by dnewhous on 2021-07-13, 00:11. Edited 2 times in total.

Daniel L Newhouse

Reply 4 of 4, by dnewhous

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The automation file for a Soundblaster 16 is the cmf file. Creative MIDI file.

I've perused the manuals for an AWE32 and an AWE64. The Soundblaster 16 Waveffects supports CMF files. It's not completely clear that the AWE32 doesn't.

Daniel L Newhouse