Common searches

Compaq armada 1750

Topic actions

Reply 160 of 179, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice, I see it has the good graphics card as well.

Not extremely powerful but it is at least better than my ibm 600 that is similarly specced but with no 3d acceleration.

Or at least i think the 600e doesn't have 3d acceleration.. I might do some benchmarks in an other thread at some point. 😀

One thing I like about the armada is the sound card. But mine is very noisy (ground loop). So not very pleasant to use. I was gonna look into it but it's hard to work on laptops if you don't the space..

That big box dark forces copy is a nice catch! It should play nicely.

Reply 161 of 179, by boby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Joakim wrote on 2021-06-04, 13:53:

Finally I found a caddy. Hopefully it fits! Will see next week. 😀

Hey. I know it is an old post, but maybe you could help me out, as I also need a caddy for my 1700 armada.
Where did you find yours? Was it expensive?

Br,
Slobodan

Reply 162 of 179, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
boby wrote on 2024-02-07, 10:41:
Hey. I know it is an old post, but maybe you could help me out, as I also need a caddy for my 1700 armada. Where did you find yo […]
Show full quote

Hey. I know it is an old post, but maybe you could help me out, as I also need a caddy for my 1700 armada.

Br,
Slobodan

I just checked eBay and searching Compaq Armada 1700 lists one 4Gb HDD with Drive caddy right now, I wouldn't say its cheap but none of the "Orphaned Computer" spares for the 1700/1750 are.

I cant provide eBay links here but the clue is in my above sentence.

Reply 163 of 179, by boby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Trashbytes wrote on 2024-02-07, 10:45:
Hey. I know it is an old post, but maybe you could help me out, as I also need a caddy for my 1700 armada. Where did you find yo […]
Show full quote

Br,
Slobodan

I just checked eBay and searching Compaq Armada 1700 lists one 4Gb HDD with Drive caddy right now, I wouldn't say its cheap but none of the "Orphaned Computer" spares for the 1700/1750 are.

Yes, I saw that, but the price is insane. Entire laptop was around $30. ☹️

Reply 164 of 179, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
boby wrote on 2024-02-07, 10:53:
Show full quote

Br,
Slobodan

Yeah, spare parts like HDD caddies are expensive for most laptops, its not just the Armada suffering from this.

Reply 165 of 179, by boby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Trashbytes wrote on 2024-02-07, 11:13:

Yeah, spare parts like HDD caddies are expensive for most laptops, its not just the Armada suffering from this.

I simply don't understand this. Ok, I get that someone pulls out the hard drive to protect their data, but in this case they took the hdd with caddy and probably thrown the caddy away after.

Reply 166 of 179, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
boby wrote on 2024-02-07, 11:56:
Trashbytes wrote on 2024-02-07, 11:13:

I simply don't understand this. Ok, I get that someone pulls out the hard drive to protect their data, but in this case they took the hdd with caddy and probably thrown the caddy away after.

Thus you do understand now why caddies are expensive because you are not the only one buying them to replace the ones thrown away.

Reply 167 of 179, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Show full quote

Br,
Slobodan

Yeah, I learned the hard way always to check that the computer is complete with a caddy...

I think I bought it on eBay from Germany. I looked through all the compatible armada service manuals for the different Compaq serial numbers of the HDD. If I remember correctly, the caddy itself does not have a serial and there are plenty of compatible hdds. I might have posted them in this topic. Use these numbers and search eBay.

Reply 170 of 179, by KitsuneFoxy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have two of these for a long time, one is a spare.
This was my laptop from 2001 till 2010. The Armada uses a BX chipset with the MMC-2 CPU form factor. A long time ago I upgraded it to a Pentium 3 600, which runs at 500 and you have to enable the L2 cache with cpumsr, It's max is 320mb ram, (but i believe that if you removed the onboard 64mb and replaced with larger chips it would read them. I have not done this)
But the ram can run at 100mhz with the p3. Mine also has a CD-REwriter instead of the standard drive. It runs a 40gb WD ide drive.
I don't know if they ever made a version with a better GPU in it. but mine has a rage LT 4mb. Good enough i suppose. Only issue i've ever had is the fan being weird with how it is controlled. Have to unplug and replug the power to make it come on permenantly.
I have not been able to find a docking station which adds a lot more ports and such.

There was a website on wireball that had everything about drivers, upgrades etc for it too. I have it archived well, pages saved..

https://web.archive.org/web/20061129083414/ht … 1750_repair.htm

Reply 171 of 179, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
KitsuneFoxy wrote on 2024-03-20, 00:49:
I have two of these for a long time, one is a spare. This was my laptop from 2001 till 2010. The Armada uses a BX chipset wit […]
Show full quote

This was my laptop from 2001 till 2010. The Armada uses a BX chipset with the MMC-2 CPU form factor. A long time ago I upgraded it to a Pentium 3 600, which runs at 500 and you have to enable the L2 cache with cpumsr, It's max is 320mb ram, (but i believe that if you removed the onboard 64mb and replaced with larger chips it would read them. I have not done this)
But the ram can run at 100mhz with the p3. Mine also has a CD-REwriter instead of the standard drive. It runs a 40gb WD ide drive.
I don't know if they ever made a version with a better GPU in it. but mine has a rage LT 4mb. Good enough i suppose. Only issue i've ever had is the fan being weird with how it is controlled. Have to unplug and replug the power to make it come on permenantly.
I have not been able to find a docking station which adds a lot more ports and such.

There was a website on wireball that had everything about drivers, upgrades etc for it too. I have it archived well, pages saved..

I have 4 of them now but from that 4 I can build a really nice one, I just have to find the time to pull them all apart and swap some parts around, got one model with the 8Mb Rage and LS 120, another with the large 1024x768 screen and 2Mb chips GPU but it needs a new inverter or a LED overhaul. One of the two 800x600 ones has a PII400 in it with a 60Gb HDD and the last 800x600 is a spares machine I guess.

So I have a bit of work later when I can find the time to build one nice 1750 and then have a lot of spares to sell off, I also cant find a USB pass through basestation or a DVD drive for them. (the DvD drive does exist its just really rare)

I also got lucky and managed to obtain two brand new batteries for the 1750, now I just need to make some new BIOS batteries.

Reply 173 of 179, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
I have two of these for a long time, one is a spare. This was my laptop from 2001 till 2010. The Armada uses a BX chipset wit […]
Show full quote

There is the 8mb ATI rage (mobility?) card. if the computer has composite out, it has the "good" card. Maybe it runs tomb raider with ATI patch at least.

I wonder how rare this type of computers are, I have a similar IBM computer (600E) but it has no hardware 3D capabilities. The thing I miss is perhaps a lower resolution screen, 640x480, but idk if it possible to fit one.

I boght a broken Armada 1700 as a spare but it had a different layout all together, only some parts are replacable, but not the sound card board for instance, which was the one I wanted to snatch.

Reply 175 of 179, by KitsuneFoxy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Joakim wrote on 2024-03-21, 06:42:
There is the 8mb ATI rage (mobility?) card. if the computer has composite out, it has the "good" card. Maybe it runs tomb raider […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

There is the 8mb ATI rage (mobility?) card. if the computer has composite out, it has the "good" card. Maybe it runs tomb raider with ATI patch at least.

I wonder how rare this type of computers are, I have a similar IBM computer (600E) but it has no hardware 3D capabilities. The thing I miss is perhaps a lower resolution screen, 640x480, but idk if it possible to fit one.

I boght a broken Armada 1700 as a spare but it had a different layout all together, only some parts are replacable, but not the sound card board for instance, which was the one I wanted to snatch.

Mine has the composite out, but it's only a 4mb card. Rage LT. Unless the ram for the card is reported incorrectly. The armada 1750 has become quite rare now. Dissapearing about 2005/7 I occasionally check ebay uk for parts, like i want the optional dialup modem and the extra caddy that plugs into the back. The spare i haven't looked at for a while, but i believe that also is the same model.

Reply 176 of 179, by KitsuneFoxy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Trashbytes wrote on 2024-03-20, 01:40:
I have 4 of them now but from that 4 I can build a really nice one, I just have to find the time to pull them all apart and swap […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

I have 4 of them now but from that 4 I can build a really nice one, I just have to find the time to pull them all apart and swap some parts around, got one model with the 8Mb Rage and LS 120, another with the large 1024x768 screen and 2Mb chips GPU but it needs a new inverter or a LED overhaul. One of the two 800x600 ones has a PII400 in it with a 60Gb HDD and the last 800x600 is a spares machine I guess.

So I have a bit of work later when I can find the time to build one nice 1750 and then have a lot of spares to sell off, I also cant find a USB pass through basestation or a DVD drive for them. (the DvD drive does exist its just really rare)

I also got lucky and managed to obtain two brand new batteries for the 1750, now I just need to make some new BIOS batteries.

I am jealous you have the LS120. I do have the model with the 1024z768 screen. I have been curious if it's even possible to piggyback extra ram onto the gpu from that series of card.
Yeah I don't have the official dvd drive for it. I made one fit though. If you're interested i can take some pictures of them both 😀

Reply 177 of 179, by KitsuneFoxy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
KitsuneFoxy wrote on 2024-03-23, 21:03:
I have 4 of them now but from that 4 I can build a really nice one, I just have to find the time to pull them all apart and swap […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

I am jealous you have the LS120. I do have the model with the 1024z768 screen. I have been curious if it's even possible to piggyback extra ram onto the gpu from that series of card.
Yeah I don't have the official dvd drive for it. I made one fit though. If you're interested i can take some pictures of them both 😀 I am still looking for the optional modem for it, just for completeness.

Reply 178 of 179, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah I don't have the official dvd drive for it. I made one fit though. If you're interested i can take some pictures of them both 😀 I am still looking for the optional modem for it, just for completeness.

The DvD drive hack sounds like it would be fun to try, photos of hwo you did it would be great.

Not sure if you can piggy back more ram on the 8Mb mobility version, its a XL based rage GPU and I dont remember them ever having more than 8Mb, but perhaps you could try it on the 4Mb model.

Reply 179 of 179, by KitsuneFoxy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Trashbytes wrote on 2024-03-23, 23:05:

The DvD drive hack sounds like it would be fun to try, photos of hwo you did it would be great.

Not sure if you can piggy back more ram on the 8Mb mobility version, its a XL based rage GPU and I dont remember them ever having more than 8Mb, but perhaps you could try it on the 4Mb model.

Well, It was a bit lazy, but it's a standard drive, and i had to cut up it's face plate to make it fit into the curved part of the laptop. It's not pretty but it works.
Battery doesnt charge anymore D: I also forgot how dog slow it is with XP (which supports wpa2 for my wireless). Slamming the crap hard drives page file. I was thinking of putting a IDE to MSata drive in.
I don't know what the model strip means, but mine says 6300/T/4000/D/0/1

Attachments