Common searches

Do you dislike the British?

Topic actions

First post, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Or probably more specifically, the English?

From the websites that I peruse I am noticing quite a bit of anti-English sentiment and I am wondering if its something I've just been oblivious to or if people are starting to dislike (or be vocal in their dislike of) the English? Or it is just a few edgy people on the internet? The football memes over the last few days, I understand - the minority of our fans that get drunk and cause trouble are a national embarrassment.

So do you dislike the English, and if you do where are you from? And if you do, does that come down to the common man in the street?

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 1 of 100, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't think anyone has any particular dislike towards England, but many people were very annoyed in them advancing to the finals thanks to a 99% fake penalty on their "world-class" diver Sterling. So those people are very happy to gloat now.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 2 of 100, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr_st wrote on 2021-07-12, 06:07:

I don't think anyone has any particular dislike towards England, but many people were very annoyed in them advancing to the finals thanks to a 99% fake penalty on their "world-class" diver Sterling. So those people are very happy to gloat now.

I'm not particularly into football but those that are fully admit it's a 'soft' penalty and that Stirling has a bit of a rep for diving now. However they say its about time a ruling like that goes in England's favour - The disallowed England goal against Germany in 2010... the hand of God whenever that was in the 80s I think? England has been at the losing end of decisions like that for a while.

Anyway I more meant outside of football because I completely understand that

Reply 3 of 100, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

NO! Why do you need to ask that question on vogons at all?

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 4 of 100, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hell no! I will be forever grateful to Britain for the New Wave of British Heavy Metal (and for giving birth to the genre in general), and also you invented football! And Sir Isaac Newton! So many great things/people come from there...

I think some people harbor resentment for the imperialism/colonialism of the past, and Brexit more recently. It doesn't bother me at all though, I won't judge current Britain for things done back when the world was a totally different place... and Brexit was just your democratic choice as a nation, regardless of how it will turn out in the future.

What I do find odd about the British is the devotion some of them have for the Queen/Royal Family... I think it's difficult to understand for people who have always lived under republic type governments. Personally I am puzzled by the fact that monarchy still exists in some developed countries, like a relic from the past that won't go away.

Reply 5 of 100, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-07-12, 06:13:

As long as discussion is civil there is no defined rule on what questions/topics you can bring up. The problem is that anytime anyone creates a thread about politics/religion/controversial topic it brings out the trolls/the worst in people and it all spirals downwards quite quickly.

Back to the OPs questions, I don't think there is any resentment towards England, atleast here in Scandinavia, but my hairdresser which is from Ireland is much more critical. I guess mostly from historical and political reasons with the whole Northern Ireland situation.

I think it's more noticable nowadays with football since many people believe England has been given an unfair advantage in the championship with much less travelling and very many matches at "home turf".

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 6 of 100, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-07-12, 06:13:

As hopefully a counterpoint to the other websites I go to which tend to have younger, mostly USA based users.

I couldn't sleep this morning (for whatever reason) and was looking at memes and came across the football ones with more general "hate the english" so I ended up googling "why do you hate the english" and came up with other people asking the question with lots of negative responses making me think it was more widespread.

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-so-many-people-s … en-hate-Britain
https://www.quora.com/In-which-country-is-Ant … ent-the-highest

And it sort of answers my question of why but places like Quora are filled with opinionated people by its very nature of being a site where people register so they can discuss their opinion on things. So hence asking here where people probably have less strong opinions on the subject.

Reply 7 of 100, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheMobRules wrote on 2021-07-12, 06:47:

Hell no! I will be forever grateful to Britain for the New Wave of British Heavy Metal (and for giving birth to the genre in general), and also you invented football! And Sir Isaac Newton! So many great things/people come from there...

I think some people harbor resentment for the imperialism/colonialism of the past, and Brexit more recently. It doesn't bother me at all though, I won't judge current Britain for things done back when the world was a totally different place... and Brexit was just your democratic choice as a nation, regardless of how it will turn out in the future.

What I do find odd about the British is the devotion some of them have for the Queen/Royal Family... I think it's difficult to understand for people who have always lived under republic type governments. Personally I am puzzled by the fact that monarchy still exists in some developed countries, like a relic from the past that won't go away.

This is similar to my view - The British Empire did a lot of bad, at a time when what was good and bad was different to today. But the UK also started the industrial revolution, micro-computer revolution, the internet (or WWW I can't remember), Darwin etc. But why do people not openly hate on the other european empires that have come and gone before and during the British empire?

Brexit is just... a mess and I'm sure made / makes us the laughing stock of Europe.

I think most people are indifferent to the Royal Family. The RF doesn't actually do anything or have any particular power. They own a bunch of land but they don't do anything to it- no different to if it was state owned land. If they were removed daily life for us normal people would not change at all. the RF is just about the only identity the UK has left at this point and is probably responsible for a lot of tourism (money) for the UK.

Reply 8 of 100, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There's whole anti western thing going around the planet which I gather has originated in the US. It has really IMHO gone a bit too far. The whole Covington kids and the so called Recon Ranger Indian dude thing in the US and that whole Jessie (the gay Tupoc) Smollet freak show are typical examples. Here in New Zealand a similar thing is happening in regard to the so called "indigenous" peoples here. Even their spoken history states they arrived here in five canoes for goodness sake 😉 The government has even hidden evidence and locations of monuments have clarely predated these people. I have a feeling there is going be a backlash by the general popullus in the not too distint future to stop all this madness.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2021-07-12, 21:23. Edited 1 time in total.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 9 of 100, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Almoststew1990 wrote on 2021-07-12, 06:12:

However they say its about time a ruling like that goes in England's favour - The disallowed England goal against Germany in 2010... the hand of God whenever that was in the 80s I think? England has been at the losing end of decisions like that for a while.

For a while, yes... With that said, their only major victory (1966 World Cup) came largely thanks to an overtime goal (in the final against Germany) that was allowed, even though it is quite doubtful it fully crossed the line. To be fair, the technology at the time did not allow it to be clearly determined, and even today you can get different opinions depending on the angle the scene is viewed from.

I think a lot of people were especially upset over the Sterling penalty decision, because, unlike in the past, nowadays there is tons of technology to determine what happened with very high degrees of certainty, but the way the protocols are written, there was basically no way to force the referee to consult VAR, which he did not. And because it was England and the final was in England, the situation immediately gave rise to allegations of corruption against UEFA for "pulling the home team into the final".

But yeah, this time they got a lucky break from a questionable referee decision and went to the final. And, yes, it can be said that regardless of the questionable decision, England played better than Denmark in that game, and in some way "deserved to win". Just like Italy played better than England in the final and also "deserved to win", although in the end it went to a toss-up which could have easily gone either way.

Unlike most sports, in which the team/player performing better in a given game, is almost guaranteed to win that game, in football ("soccer" for Americans 😉) this is not the case, because the events determining the winner (goals) are relatively rare. Some love football for it, some hate it, but this is how it is.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 10 of 100, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Lots of Indians on Quora. That's not a place you're likely to get a sympathetic opinion about the British.

This is the main issue, the empire. Lots of people are still sore about that. The Indians, the Irish, the Israelis, the Greeks, and many others, still have raw memories of being ruled by Britain.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 11 of 100, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On the royal family, for many years I thought pretty much they seem to be rich and not do much of any use, but nowadays I think this. They are a group of people who live independent from the day to day decision-making that goes on in politics. They are rich by most people's standards, but they are also (when they do the job right, as I believe the queen and her consort did before he died) standard bearers who try to represent principles of behaviour and what's right; in that regard they have a symbolic but (if you let them) important role. They aren't part of the political establishment, they aren't here to drive fashion or provide papparazi fodder (both of which are where I think those who don't understand them think their importance either does or should lie), but they should keep their noses clean, be careful who they associate with, and live a life that's true. That's evidently been a major problem from time to time, not just with the some of the more recent members but also back into antiquity; but that's life, it's what happens when real people are involved, politicians, capitalists and your own families are all the same; but it doesn't invalidate what the monarchy stands for. Whether they are worth the money: personally I don't kike the bean-counting, rank-this-over-that approaches to value that economists and accountants love so much - they miss a lot out and there are higher things than what can be measured.

As regards hating the English. When I watch certain old films I cringe at the way the English portrayed themselves (we know what's best for the world, this foreign country needs a good Biritsh/English person in charge, we have a right to rule and so on); and as a child I disliked the Americans for similar reasons (always bragging, always trying to buy people off, always forcing their ways on others, driven by money...). Regardless of the reality, media portrayals play into what we think whether they are accurate or not. But there' also a difference between how it is to be an average English person at home, and how some of our forbears acted in the world they went out into where they could do as they please; the darkness of some men's souls that shows through when they have power over others. That's only circumstantially to do with being English/British.

Reply 12 of 100, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As a foreigner living in England I find it a funny country at times.
Ireland, Scotland, Wales are proud of their nationality and embrace it. They celebrate their Saint Andrew/David/Patrick day, push to be able to select their country under citizenship in government documents, etc.
England on the other hand seems a bit embarrassed? St George Day is low key, UK is deemed enough in legal documents and I've a few friends who say "I'm not English" because their parents were born outside England even though they themselves have only ever lived and worked here.

Another funny thing is English feel a bit, um guilty? sorry? (nether correct but can't think of a better word) for colonising the world.
Coming from one of those countries I say "We'll at least the Pom's were in it for long term gain, V the wife from South America where the Spanish just grabbed the gold and buggered off again" 😜

The Wife also can't understand why Australia hasn't become independent. I guess it is a bit strange from outsiders point of view but the truth is we already are.
As you say Royals don't interfere with politics as a whole and UK doesn't have any power over the other nations governments. It's all just tradition now.
Thing is in Europe alone you have Belgium, Denmark, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Monaco all with a royal family which I'm sure will surprise some. I guess Queen Lizzy's just got better marketing? 😉

but England will always be the focus of jokes though. What I call the "big brother syndrome" 2 similar countries always have a strong rivalry, eg.
New Zealand Vs Australia
Belgium Vs France
Austria Vs Germany
Canada Vs USA
England Vs "The other Kingdoms"

I also guess Italy been on the Continent became "Team Europe" so gained more support? But nah, I don't think England is hated that much, Poor old Yanks still get the most negative press I'd say.

Reply 13 of 100, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

When you ask people on the internet about something like this, the trolls rear their ugly head, so of course you will see a lot of negativity.
And sports, like religion, brings out the worst in people.
Yesterday, after the game I felt sorry for England. Now I only feel sorry for the team*. That racism sparked by the three missed penalty shots is shameful.

* the team did well and yes, getting to the final by the fake penalty is not nice but then soccer has not been nice for a while now. Italy's games are not known for fair play either. If I were the referee the games would end with only three players per team left 😀

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 14 of 100, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dominus wrote on 2021-07-12, 09:57:

If I were the referee the games would end with only three players per team left 😀

I think the rules require a minimum of 7. The first team to lose 5 players to ejections forfeits the match. 😜

Reply 15 of 100, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
dr_st wrote on 2021-07-12, 10:08:
Dominus wrote on 2021-07-12, 09:57:

If I were the referee the games would end with only three players per team left 😀

I think the rules require a minimum of 7. The first team to lose 5 players to ejections forfeits the match. 😜

hmmm, I'm not saying I'd be a good referee 😀

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 16 of 100, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here are some more examples...

Some (deserved) memes about the football but the comments quickly get... Nasty? I don't think these people are joking about not liking the English outside of football...

https://imgur.com/gallery/9TJtYvh
https://imgur.com/gallery/z5OVhmm
https://imgur.com/gallery/s9ptvJ4

The comments regarding our minority of fans is entirely justified.

We don't celebrate St George's Day (I literally had to scroll back up to check which day it is), and never really have. To be honest a lot of people who live in England will just consider themselves British, that's the default position.

A lot of countries are now in the (voluntary) commonwealth and I don't think anyone has expressed an interest in leaving it given the trade deals (and probably other stuff) that it creates.

Reply 17 of 100, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do I dislike the British people ? No I do not ! I have great British English friends ! Heck I used to be a Depeche Mode fan, and as far I am aware they were a part of the great synth-pop craze of the 80s 😀 now I am just a "synth-maniac" as in I love synthpop 😀 The only thing I did not like was the shenanigans that happened last Wednesday, not the game itself, but the green laser in Kasper Schmeichel´s eyes, the extra ball on the field, the spitting on Danish fans, the booing during the Danish national anthem, and the assaults on Danish fans. That is not bloody okay ! That is bad behaviour ! But blaming it on all other British people ? Nope, sorry wrong door you knocked on for that answer.
And about metal from Britain ? Oh my, Iron Maiden is an awesome band, just to mention one great metal band from Britain 😀

Reply 18 of 100, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

NWOBHM for the win!!

Reply 19 of 100, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Almoststew1990 wrote on 2021-07-12, 06:03:

Or probably more specifically, the English?

From the websites that I peruse I am noticing quite a bit of anti-English sentiment and I am wondering if its something I've just been oblivious to or if people are starting to dislike (or be vocal in their dislike of) the English? Or it is just a few edgy people on the internet? The football memes over the last few days, I understand - the minority of our fans that get drunk and cause trouble are a national embarrassment.

So do you dislike the English, and if you do where are you from? And if you do, does that come down to the common man in the street?

I do not dislike the Brits, English people or at all. Why would I dislike people from a whole country?

But speaking of football, then it is the hooligans that are the issue. Last game that England played against Denmark, then there are stories of English hooligans spitting and throwing bottles at Danish children. Children as young as 9 years old.

And no matter who it is and what country a person is from, then that person need some serious punishment for spitting and throwing bottles at other people. And it just makes it all even worse, when children are involved.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011