Do you dislike the British?

Topic actions

Reply 81 of 100, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
antrad wrote on 2021-07-25, 15:36:

I dislike the British for driving on the wrong side of the street and using outdated measuring system and spreading those all over the world.

But they have TopGear! 😃
Doesn't that make up for that? Hm?

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 82 of 100, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote on 2021-07-25, 20:09:

I dislike the British for driving on the wrong side of the street and using outdated measuring system and spreading those all over the world.

But they have TopGear! 😃

Had. America/Amazon now has the actual TopGear crew.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 83 of 100, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anders- wrote on 2021-07-25, 16:25:

Do you know the background for left-/right-side traffic? It's an interesting piece of history.

Not sure about the British, but in the case of Japan (which is also a left-driving country), I remember reading somewhere that it was because most samurai in ancient times were right-handed and therefore had their swords sheathed on the left side of their belts, so they walked on the left side to prevent their sheaths from bumping against those of people walking in the other direction as they passed one and other.

As for the imperial measuring units, I think they're kept in place mostly to confuse the rest of us 😁

In fairness to the British, these days its the Americans who insist on hanging on to those archaic units of measurement, much more so than the British do. With the exception of road signs and speed limits, the Brits have mostly gone metric.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2021-07-27, 03:36. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 84 of 100, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BetaC wrote on 2021-07-25, 20:16:

But they have TopGear! 😃

They feel very past it now though. I can feel Lochdown being the last GT episode they do. They're genuinely old for the type of TV they do and it makes me a bit sad as I grew up with them buying 10 grand Maseratis that blew and engine and got dumped in a hedge 🙁

Surprised this thread is still going tbh but I have decided or realised most people do not hate the British on principle and I also deleted my account on that other website that gave me that impression in the first place as the constant (very one sided) US politics got me down and I couldn't not look at it for some reason!

Last edited by Stiletto on 2021-07-27, 03:35. Edited 2 times in total.

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 85 of 100, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
digger wrote on 2021-07-25, 20:28:

Not sure about the British, but in the case of Japan (which is also a left-driving country), I remember reading somewhere that it was because most samurai in ancient times were right-handed and therefore had their swords sheathed on the left side of their belts, so they walked on the left side to prevent their sheaths from bumping against those of people walking in the other direction as they passed one and other.

In the UK we were taught it was because "knights and stuff" had their... big stabby stick thing in their right hand sticking out to the right so they hung left on the road so they could stab the other guy on approach. Not sure if that was for sporting events or general travel!

As for the imperial measuring units, I think they're kept in place mostly to confuse the rest of us 😁

In fairness to the British, these days its the Americans who insist on hanging on to those archaic units of measurement, much more so than the British do. With the exception of road signs and speed limits, the Brits have mostly gone metric.

Yeah we're mostly metric in professional environments and shops etc, but a few traditions stand out like milk and alcohol.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2021-07-27, 03:36. Edited 2 times in total.

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 86 of 100, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

By the way, I love how SpaceX insists on showing everything on their launch stream in meters and kilometers. Both the recent Virgin Galactic and Blue Origin space launches were "dumbed down" for American audiences by showing speeds and altitudes in feet and miles.

Good to see Musk drawing a line in the sand on this and making the statement "In the space industry we use the metric system, bitches. Deal with it!" It probably helps that he's South African, not British like Branson or American like Bezos.

Reply 87 of 100, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BetaC wrote on 2021-07-25, 20:16:

But they have TopGear! 😃

Yeah, but still.. The TG crew was/is very British by nature and everyone liked/likes them. 🙂
My sister and me still love watching previous episodes, also. Even though we're not automobile enthusiasts.
I guess it takes a moment to get used to that kind of humour, esp. for some of my fellow country men,
but I haven't heard anything negative from them.
One of them is a former East German, even. 😀
When he's visiting us on Saturdays sometimes, we all watch the re-runs on TV together.

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 88 of 100, by CalamityLime

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well I'm Irish, I have the dislike the British, it's like the law or something. So, reeeeeeeeeeee!

Especially now with Brexit ruining the UK used market on ebay, such a pain to import now. Several services existed to make importing from UK used market to Ireland much easier, AddressPal is one, Parcel Motel is another. AddressPal now just opens the package, takes a random guess as to how much the item is and charges import tax based on that guess. Which has become even more of a pain since the rules have changed again in June. In fairness, amazon.co.uk has been the most helpful with explaining how importing from the UK works now.

However, dislike for different countries can always be found if you dig deep enough into the weeds but it's rarely worth thinking about. Don't let it get to you.

Be Happy, it's only going to get worse.
- Projects
Limes Strange 3D models
USB-2-232

Reply 89 of 100, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I thought Brits went metric years ago. The Americans are the ones behind the times....😉

Last edited by Stiletto on 2021-07-27, 03:37. Edited 1 time in total.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 90 of 100, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Almoststew1990 wrote on 2021-07-25, 20:30:

They feel very past it now though. I can feel Lochdown being the last GT episode they do. They're genuinely old for the type of TV they dj and it makes me a bit sad as I grew up with them buying 10 grand Maseraties that blew and engine and got dumped in a hedge 🙁

If you can get access, give Clarkson's Farm a shot. My family enjoyed it as a whole.

digger wrote on 2021-07-25, 20:44:

By the way, I love how SpaceX insists on showing everything on their launch stream in meters and kilometers. Both the recent Virgin Galactic and Blue Origin space launches were "dumbed down" for American audiences by showing speeds and altitudes in feet and miles.

Good to see Musk drawing a line in the sand on this and making the statement "In the space industry we use the metric system, bitches. Deal with it!" It probably helps that he's South African, not British like Branson or American like Bezos.

If you want to go there, they really should have been showing the knots for speed and feet or metric interchangeably for elevation, as air travel still uses non-metric measurements for the most part, while space does meters. Especially with Branson, either was probably in use at any given moment.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 91 of 100, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-07-25, 23:34:

I thought Brits went metric years ago. The Americans are the ones behind the times....😉

It's a muddle. Brits use miles, feet, metres, yards, kilograms, pounds, pints, litres, gallons, stones interchangeably. Britain didn't switch from imperial to metric but got stuck somewhere in between.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2021-07-27, 03:37. Edited 1 time in total.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 92 of 100, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Errius wrote on 2021-07-26, 03:28:
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-07-25, 23:34:

It's a muddle. Brits use miles, feet, metres, yards, kilograms, pounds, pints, litres, gallons, stones interchangeably. Britain didn't switch from imperial to metric but got stuck somewhere in between.

So do I....😉

Last edited by Stiletto on 2021-07-27, 03:38. Edited 1 time in total.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 94 of 100, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Anders- wrote on 2021-07-26, 06:41:
Yep, left-side traffic so you can easily attack opponents (most folks being right-handed), at least for knights and nobels (pea […]
Show full quote
Almoststew1990 wrote on 2021-07-25, 20:33:

In the UK we were taught it was because "knights and stuff" had their... big stabby stick thing in their right hand sticking out to the right so they hung left on the road so they could stab the other guy on approach. Not sure if that was for sporting events or general travel!

Yep, left-side traffic so you can easily attack opponents (most folks being right-handed), at least for knights and nobels (peasant travelling on the right side). Leftover from roman times when a large amount of roads were being constructed, I think.
I read that during the french revolution the aristocrats trying to make it out stuck to the right side of the roads (blend in with the lower class) to avoid capture.
Napoleon decided his military should travel on the right side, maybe to make a point of the difference between england and france? The current travelling way was passed on to all the colonies.

A friendly group of brits on vacation in france 😀
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUexzDFhWtM

Funny how It's someone from Sweden talking about the switch of roadside travel. I only found out about yours last year and found it really interesting.
https://youtu.be/h6RWrzRF8Fc

Reply 95 of 100, by Scoob

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

How can you dislike someone because of his nationality? Isn't that xenophoby?
Do you identify with every english people? Are english people the borg? I don't know every english people so I can't answer you question. But the few I know are bloody nice chaps, with whom you can have a jolly time at the pub, I might add! 😁

Reply 96 of 100, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think so, it's xenophobia kinda. Luckily, the internet allows us to experience ordinary people from all over the world.

Forums and YouTube provide us an unfiltered look at the individuals of all nationalities.
Before that, there were a lot of stereotypes in people's heads.
Unless that person was a radio operator, maybe. They had interests in international friendship for over 100 years.

I'm really grateful for what we have now.
Culture is a common good of all humans and it's nice if it's being exchanged sometimes.
Someone slowly realizes that the average people from, say, Russia, Turkey, Germany etc. aren't that bad actually.

In fact, most of them may vary a lot from what someone has heard in media or learned in school.
But yeah, I think it's difficult to separate the individual from the citizenship sometimes.
Especially if emotions are running high.

Also, some countrymen may act differently if they are in the holidays or living in a foreign country. For the better or worse. Thus, people shouldn't be judged by their nationality alone.

That being said, I think it's generally lame that people in the news are defined by their age, gender and nationality alone so often. This reduces a person to a number.

Edit : It's kind of ironic that former enemies have so much in common. Say USA/Russia in the space age.
Or GB/Germany in the days of early wireless set/radio development.
Judging by all these private videos on YT, the individuals of each side could have been the best friends.
If just citizenship/ideology wasn't getting in the way so much all the time.. 🙁
Anyway, this is now. We now have the chance to model the future.

Oh, by the way - do you guys remember the days when "young" people were considered the future?
This was very motivating. Back then, society and older people actually valued their children (1-99).
I wished things would still be that way.
If you value someone, he/she/.. usually tries to make you proud, tries to be a good person.
*sigh* Things could be so easy if people at least tried to believe in better days.

Last edited by Jo22 on 2021-07-26, 22:12. Edited 1 time in total.

//My video channel//

Reply 97 of 100, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jo22 wrote on 2021-07-26, 21:56:

I think so, it's xenophobia kinda. Luckily, the internet allows us to experience ordinary people from all over the world.

KFsw1vA.jpeg

🤣

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 98 of 100, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^Haha — oh my god, thanks! 🤣🤣

Seriously, thumbs up!
I'll add that into my collection. Love that kind of humor, too.
😂

(To my defense, I grew up with a father who's a radio amateur.
International friendship was a thing there before the web..
Just look for vintage SSTV, Robot 8 etc.
People were exchanging pictures via shortwave since the 60s or so.)

//My video channel//

Reply 99 of 100, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This one is still one of my favorites:

be-like-bill.jpeg
Filename
be-like-bill.jpeg
File size
43.17 KiB