VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just curious....
I have an old copy of visual C++ 5.0. I never really spent any time with it. Is there any point in doing so now?
Being that this came from the 95/98 era, I am dubious that any programs developed with it would even run on a modern comuter
But I could be wrong....

Reply 1 of 7, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you packaged it all up together with all required DLLs, etc. you could probably run on a newer OS. It really depends more on the program itself.

I probably wouldn't bother with it unless you have some old code that you need to modify/fix.

There are newer versions that will compile stuff just fine for Win9x usage.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 7, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ncmark wrote on 2021-07-31, 18:11:
Just curious.... I have an old copy of visual C++ 5.0. I never really spent any time with it. Is there any point in doing so now […]
Show full quote

Just curious....
I have an old copy of visual C++ 5.0. I never really spent any time with it. Is there any point in doing so now?
Being that this came from the 95/98 era, I am dubious that any programs developed with it would even run on a modern comuter
But I could be wrong....

If you're interested get a copy of

Programming Windows

, fifth edition. Much is still applicable and 32-bit binaries would still run.

Reply 3 of 7, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's nothing in MSVC5 (or even MSVC4) that would make programs that excludes newer Windows. Unless you tell it to output 16-bit programs or start linking ancient DirectX libraries or MFC dlls that Win10+ probably won't ship anymore.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 5 of 7, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Visual Basic 5/6 also used the Visual C++ compiler, albeit a somewhat hacked one.

From what I read, VB5/VC++5 was the last one to allow for using relocation tables via command line parameters.
- These were needed for Win32s compatibility, among other thing.

However, there were a lot of compatibility issues with Win32s and other DLLs, so it barely worked in practice.
- Newer versions of VB/VC++ fixed older issues, but introduced new ones at same time.

Officially, MS never supported Win32s in later versions of VC ++ and never supported it in 32-Bit VB at all.

Also, VB6 and Visual C++ 6 core runtimes shipped with many Windows versions.
Older versions didn't, by comparison.

A visual history of Visual C++

http://www.malsmith.net/blog/visual-c-visual-history/

Visual C++ at virtuallyfun.com
https://virtuallyfun.com/wordpress/category/visual-c/

Edit: Also interesting: http://bytepointer.com/msvc/index.htm

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 7 of 7, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote on 2021-07-31, 19:21:

There's nothing in MSVC5 (or even MSVC4) that would make programs that excludes newer Windows. Unless you tell it to output 16-bit programs or start linking ancient DirectX libraries or MFC dlls that Win10+ probably won't ship anymore.

I got MFC Tabs working in Windows 10 using VC++ in Visual Studio 2016.

A pain in the but to figure out, but MFC can still be used in Win10.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK