VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

How screwed are they? Well they had to announce it on Twitter https://twitter.com/Facebook?

Nothing showing up on time to restore services, may take hours to propagate if DNS related.

Edit: Update, everything was coming back up by about 5pm EST 4th Oct 2021.

Last edited by BitWrangler on 2021-10-05, 15:06. Edited 1 time in total.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 1 of 16, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/10/03/tech/faceb … utes/index.html

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 2 of 16, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yep, you wonder if it is deliberate to flood that out of the news search results. Or to engender sympathy, look at us we're suffering... or is even FBI action, pull the plug, we want a snapshot of everything as it is right now.

edit: Guess I'm just tryna save ppl getting stuck on a 5 hour call trying to talk grandma through re-configuring her router because FB won't load 🤣

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 3 of 16, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Makes me feel good that none of that affects me except for the annoying articles on tech sites of people freaking out because they can't get their fix heh

Last edited by DosFreak on 2021-10-04, 19:58. Edited 1 time in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 16, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Lol. I hear they can't get into their buildings because their smart door locks rely on Facebook services to function. Internet of Things down bad tremendously once again

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 6 of 16, by mR_Slug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keenmaster486 wrote on 2021-10-04, 19:59:

Lol. I hear they can't get into their buildings because their smart door locks rely on Facebook services to function. Internet of Things down bad tremendously once again

There's people who actually do that? Facebook? They let it control their door? So when you eventually get banned from facebook (or outage) they lock you out of your home? 🤣 How daft.

The Retro Web | EISA .cfg Archive | Chip set Encyclopedia

Reply 7 of 16, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mR_Slug wrote on 2021-10-04, 20:23:

There's people who actually do that? Facebook? They let it control their door? So when you eventually get banned from facebook (or outage) they lock you out of your home? 🤣 How daft.

I mean Facebook themselves! They cannot get into their offices because their door keycards stopped working!

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 9 of 16, by Big Pink

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can't get Facebook back online without Dennis Nedry.

I thought IBM was born with the world

Reply 10 of 16, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Pffft, find a kid that knows unix.

Reply 11 of 16, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What's odd about the door thing is the security systems I'm used to don't need the computer for badge access to doors and dns usually to a dc at that site....There is usually a separate box that communicates with the door controllers. I'd like to say that systems that control the door wouldn't be on the network with everything else but usually they are and running win 7 if you're lucky

Of course this being Facebook it's probly all in the cloud outsourced to a vendor in India for nanagement

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 12 of 16, by mR_Slug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keenmaster486 wrote on 2021-10-04, 20:26:

I mean Facebook themselves! They cannot get into their offices because their door keycards stopped working!

OK, that's even funnier! Hope there's someone inside, otherwise they have effectively bricked their office.

The Retro Web | EISA .cfg Archive | Chip set Encyclopedia

Reply 13 of 16, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cloudflare's take on the issue:
https://blog.cloudflare.com/october-2021-facebook-outage/

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 14 of 16, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's returning, albeit with some services still unstable. WhatsApp is still down, Instagram is nearly back, Facebook I do not know, because I do not use it.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 15 of 16, by soggi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

🤣

I really appreciate this happened!

It's very unlikely, but hopefully this leads people to doubt about IoT.

kind regards
soggi

Vintage BIOSes, firmware, drivers, tools, manuals and (3dfx) game patches -> soggi's BIOS & Firmware Page

soggi.org on Twitter - talent borrows, genius steals...

Reply 16 of 16, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

ahahahahahahahahahahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhahahahhhahahaha