VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 80 of 82, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I actually ordered myself an Athlon II 640 after reading this thread. I used to own this chip at some point, first with a HD4850 then with a HD770. I think I might rebuild my 640 + HD4850 build, install a Linux/WinXP/Win7 triple boot on it and keep it aside because why not..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 81 of 82, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I do not like to argue with anyone if he uses rude expressions and does not present arguments quietly.
It is about arguing reasons why an FX processor is so expensive today and if that price is really justified, and I have commented on that line.
Based on my twenty-four year experience in a computer sales and repair shop and the fact that I have fifteen AMD based computers and only six Intel based computers.
I have always chosen to buy AMD over Intel knowing what I was buying.
Edit, it is twenty-two year experience instead of twenty-four, the first two years don't count as experience.😉

Reply 82 of 82, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Hoping wrote on 2021-10-26, 10:17:
I do not like to argue with anyone if he uses rude expressions and does not present arguments quietly. It is about arguing reaso […]
Show full quote

I do not like to argue with anyone if he uses rude expressions and does not present arguments quietly.
It is about arguing reasons why an FX processor is so expensive today and if that price is really justified, and I have commented on that line.
Based on my twenty-four year experience in a computer sales and repair shop and the fact that I have fifteen AMD based computers and only six Intel based computers.
I have always chosen to buy AMD over Intel knowing what I was buying.
Edit, it is twenty-two year experience instead of twenty-four, the first two years don't count as experience.😉

Well...I agree with you. No reason to be rude. I didn't think that I was rude however, I was outspoken, yes. But I certainly didn't mean to be rude, if I came across that way then I apologize.

Same as you I've got roughly twenty years or so experience in IT support. 19 of that officially in the "professional" space (being paid for my work) and same as you I prefer AMD for their usual bang for the buck.

However I just don't see the motherboards from quality vendors being inferior to their Intel counterparts. With that being said there were (and are) some stinkers out there as far as modernish boards go (I'm looking at you Biostar) but that goes with either platform Intel or AMD.

I guess it's just a case of what ones I've messed with, in my enterprise experience it is generally OEM stuff large DELL/HP/Lenovo and those all tend to be Intel based as they are usually servers, workstations or thin clients.
That said, I've retired a ton of working VIA and AMD based thin clients from HP and they all seem to be largely reliable.

Custom built stuff on the other hand as long the board partners are reputable I've had no reliability issues with either companies products.
I will say however that I've seen a suprisingly number of DOA motherboards come from MSI over the years and I tend to steer clear of their stuff for that reason.
Asus/ASRock/Gigabyte all have thier ups and down and I have my preferences for various reasons but reliablity isn't one of them.