VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi Vogons,

I have been trying to recall anything else about an old forum or bulletin board to assist me in digging it out of the waybackmachine or other archives. For all I know it's still on the web, just obscured by the lack of SEO, and Google's artificial stupidity.

Mostly it was focused on genuine IBM hardware, but had a section for clones also I think. I remember the page title as "The IBM-PC Hardware Page" but there may be some variance. It existed somewhere in the timeframe of 2000-2008 at least. I believe it used a free hosting service, like boardhost or proboards, but neither of those look quite right in layout. Possibly it had 3rd party software on a free domain like tripod. I recall a mottled brown background, possibly a texture from Doom or other game.

Layout: I think it had two panes of "folder" sections, but then they expanded into threaded topics, sorta like a combo of boardhost and proboards. Though not sure if it was something that usually looks different but was set to different behavior. I think vbulletin and simplemachines can be made to look like that, but I don't think it was anything so popular or well built. My recollections of exact mechanics are a bit vague though.

Personalities: Either the owner, admin or chief mod called himself "Neil Cavuto" after the newscaster. There was another dude on there who for some reason liked to keep mentioning his encounters with call girls.

It wasn't very high traffic, I would not be surprised to find out that only 200 people knew of it's existence, but hopefully one or two of them are here...

So does anyone have the original URL in archived bookmarks, have better recollections of the pages that might make for better search terms, or even just remember what hosting it used?

TIA

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 1 of 11, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sounds like uncreativelabs from the 1990’s defunct brave net host and it’s related web ring cousins

Neil Cavuto, Steven Pierce, Harshbarj, Raven, Lanmaster, dejeepbrat, MikeChambers, anonymous, RoadWarrior, Puckdropper and I will have to think of the other 2 dozen regulars many of which had their own forums on various topics that were in the same ring as uncreativelabs, I no longer Remember which forum Cavuto managed but if you ask at uncreativelabs and the founders are still alive you might find out.

As an interesting side note this hobby still has most of the same people and I have noticed “old” names on vcfed so maybe he is there?

Reply 2 of 11, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Bravenet!!! Yes that's the one, and I remembered the background similarity with Uncreative Labs original page, but it sounds like it was possibly the same one. Yah, that's maybe how I got there, through the webring. Thanks very much for those tidbits. I don't necessarily wanna hunt down the people though, just got a vague memory of a few interesting project topics I would like to dig out. I was wondering also if it was a holdover from the late 90s, thinking I'd come across it earlier, but somewhere in the noughties is when I last remember visiting.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 3 of 11, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The way bravenets 2page infinite scroll worked was old messages just got deleted

We used to have games of keeping everything under a couple threads so you could exceed the comment limit but bravenet then started erasing the original topics creating disjointed conversations

Sadly those forums could not be effectively archived bravenet had really small limits (kilobytes) for data so you couldn’t do much

I rather miss the webring concept since you could find hidden gems you would never see on a search engine.

Uncreativelabs.org still exists and was made to look in spirit like the bravenet forum, lots of regulars were lost during the gradual transition from bravenet to the .org site since bravenet was literally viewable on anything (no overhead) and you could impersonate others since you didn’t need a log in.
Usually in the form of making Raven mad.

Ah well

Reply 4 of 11, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Fun fact: VOGONS originated by Snover, DosFreak, Nicht Sehr Gut and myself (Stiletto) constantly going off-topic on vladr's VDMSound support forums... on Bravenet. 😉

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 5 of 11, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Uncreative labs still exists- http://www.uncreativelabs.net/

I use to go there quite frequently as well Justin Webbers Computer.net (now part of Tom's hardware) came along.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 6 of 11, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rmay635703 wrote on 2021-10-20, 18:48:

Sadly those forums could not be effectively archived bravenet had really small limits (kilobytes) for data so you couldn’t do much

I rather miss the webring concept since you could find hidden gems you would never see on a search engine.

I see what you mean, I managed to find my way to ...
https://web.archive.org/web/20020609182346/ht … rnum=2936154515
But none of the posts got archived.

I remember that page and a lot of the users there. Was kinda /root for UCL and all associated. The archive crawler was very clearly pagerank/popularity focused, many links to other stuff are not archived. I managed to get one webring page, can't find a copy of the obsolete computer webring or the old MSDOS webring though...
https://web.archive.org/web/20030414172439/ht … NG/homepage.htm

Still puzzling about Neil Cavuto's page though, must have been a bit later I went on there, think he must have had bravenet forum embedded in another page. Remember links, resources and articles top and bottom of forum area. It was more PS/2 and later IBM machine leaning. I was wondering if I'd find old stuff about the PC330 there.

Kinda feeling like I've run into harshbarj or S. Pearce elsewhere somewhat more recently, maybe I saw the names browsing vcfed or something.

Reply 8 of 11, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rmay635703 wrote on 2021-10-25, 04:19:

UCL had a homepage that varied slightly over the years

http://web.archive.org/web/20000815205756/mem … .net/~cholowat/

Shivers, that brings back fond memories. There was a 386Forum/Page around at one point as well. There was lots of goodies to download from it. had a beigy/light brown background an the lettering was yellow iirc.

Reply 10 of 11, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

heh yeah, Computercraft is still up.

Reply 11 of 11, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Something for the script kiddies 😉

http://web.archive.org/web/20000815074354/htt … docs/linin.html