VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I just watched this overview of how Unreal Engine 5 is coming along. Really cool stuff!
https://youtu.be/gry36cT3TdI

They are getting closer, but to me it looks like reflections as well as too perfect geometry is still going to be an issue, nit to mention some movement mechanics.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 10, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've played it on my Series S and was slightly underwhelmed compared to what the hype was making it out to be.

It was a bit of a blurry mess due to whatever dynamic resolution and temporal anti aliasing was going on, most likely due to the lack of power on the series S. However having messed with DLSS and TXAA in various games I usually now just force native Resolution and no TXAA, instead using are MSAA (or is that SMAA) and lower settings if I need to.

There seemed to be loads of filters and post processing going on (it is meant to be a movie after all)

The physics and animations in the actual game bit were not very good at all (GTA 4 Euphoria was better!)

People looked fantastic though!

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 3 of 10, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

if a decade of UE4's jank is any indication, graphics prowess are the least of my concerns when the QOL, input and UI tends to get ducttaped for most of the games... if they're lucky to not be fixated on certain effects that Unity doesn't ship

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 10, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can only imagine Unreal Engine 5 being a complete soulless husk of what the engine once was.

Epic Games, can you just open source Unreal Engine 1 already so I can actually start making my game?

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 5 of 10, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Unless video cards become halfway affordable again at some point in the next 10 years, I think game devs might need to shift their efforts to something other than graphics.
They may create a consumer rebellion if they ignore the escalating cost of what they're pushing.

Reply 6 of 10, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't care how realistic the graphics are; as long as they still fall into "Mexico in American movies" trope, then the graphics still suck.

mexico-mexico-american.jpg

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 7 of 10, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I suppose the colors palette problem comes from bad design choices maybe supposed to increase realism but at the end often decreasing it. Back in the past games I didn't like the few oversaturated colors most games had that was far from realistic in a time I hoped to see gfx realism in game graphic but appeared that the enviroments colors weren't always even close to any real place on the planet. For the few modern games I've seen nowdays, it looks like in the middle of the absurd amount of "post processing effects" and similar techniques, the color problem still is there even if different.
Anyway imho while indeed modern engines/hw increased a lot rendering realism to a level where gfx rendering is not that important anymore, maybe games concept and lack of new ideas are nowdays a much bigger problem similar to what often seems happening for the cinema itself.

Last edited by 386SX on 2021-12-22, 15:49. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 8 of 10, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In this thread I learned that American movies render Mexico in idTech engine.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 9 of 10, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote on 2021-12-21, 04:14:
I don't care how realistic the graphics are; as long as they still fall into "Mexico in American movies" trope, then the graphic […]
Show full quote

I don't care how realistic the graphics are; as long as they still fall into "Mexico in American movies" trope, then the graphics still suck.

mexico-mexico-american.jpg

🤣 at the thread you linked.

I actually really like the Dirt games. Never really thought about the color pallet being drab. Then again I also don't like over-vibrant colors in games either. I don't really want my games to look like everything is super reflective and in neon colors lighted by neon lights.

But it also depends on the game.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 10 of 10, by Con 2 botones

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I feel photorealistic graphics have been more of a hindrance than a help.
But sure, that also depends on the genre.
Most of the time I like "games looking like games", not movies (graphics also conditions gameplay).

I´ll take Fortnite aesthetics over WarZone, for instance, anytime.
90s graphics are more than enough to me.