Common searches

First post, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Behold...

Attachments

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 1 of 14, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I want it on punched cards 😜

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 3 of 14, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Grzyb wrote on 2022-02-11, 14:53:

I want it on punched cards 😜

I'm guesstimating over 20 Million cards and would take 2 shipping containers to deliver.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 5 of 14, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's been around a while. The original is for Windows 8

JndEJiL.png

Someone changed the name but forgot to update the copyright date which is still 2013

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 8 of 14, by zyzzle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, and with quite efficient LZ4 compression, as well. So, 1713 disks is a vast overestimate. I'd be pretty confident that with good, high-dictionary .7z compression, and 1.8 mb floppies (20-sectors, 82 tracks), you could get Win10 LTSC down to under 100 floppies!

Reply 10 of 14, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh yeah, I've developed a way to compress a whole DVD onto a 720Mb floppy, but can't get volunteers to help me write the decompression routine. 😉

edit: ruined the joke by mistyping MB when I mean kB.. because of course DivX was well used for getting a DVD movie onto ~700MB of CD

Last edited by BitWrangler on 2022-02-13, 15:17. Edited 1 time in total.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 11 of 14, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Seriously, I'm wondering what's the record diskette count for a single software product?
My candidate is Microsoft Office 97, with 46 diskettes.

Just imagine this: shuffle around for hours with forty-six floppies, and finally... Clippy! 🤣
The Ultimate Masochist Experience 🤣

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 13 of 14, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is nothing, what if last floppy is corrupt. In the old days i had one of last floppy corrupt in a Windows 95 floppy installation.

Grzyb wrote on 2022-02-13, 07:49:
Seriously, I'm wondering what's the record diskette count for a single software product? My candidate is Microsoft Office 97, wi […]
Show full quote

Seriously, I'm wondering what's the record diskette count for a single software product?
My candidate is Microsoft Office 97, with 46 diskettes.

Just imagine this: shuffle around for hours with forty-six floppies, and finally... Clippy! 🤣
The Ultimate Masochist Experience 🤣

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 14 of 14, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cyberdyne wrote on 2022-02-13, 09:06:

This is nothing, what if last floppy is corrupt. In the old days i had one of last floppy corrupt in a Windows 95 floppy installation.

That's why my father bought PC Tools Deluxe in the 1980s..
It had an awesome backup program with compression, error correction etc.
He used that to setup those PCs he sold and to create recovery diskettes.
That worked fine in the MS-DOS 5 and Windows 3.0/3.1 times and before.
Because back then, such software did not require registration.
The competition, Novell DOS and DR DOS, sadly, did require this.
That hindered pre-installations.. Silly Novell/Digital Research! 🙄

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//