VOGONS

Common searches

Not another O/S war

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I stated this on my forum and I thought I would post it here as well for further debates 🤣

This is not "another o/s debate" but instead I want to ask a question. Here it is:

What the $%#^ is wrong with people?

That sound frank, but let me explain. Why do people get so bent out of shape over an operating system? I just don't understand.... Its a piece of software! Not a life style...It always seems that out there people go bannanas when someone "disses" their choice and they backfire with insults like "Fanboy!" or "Troll!" and their ego grows in size. It's become common on the internet which was supposed to be about freedom of speech and opinion.

Lets look at the main issues of all 3.

1) If you like mac os you are perceived as a niche user who only cares about looks and not substance. You also yell at ANY mac related fodder and basicallly hail jobs.

2) If you like Linux then you are an elite user. You are god and all should bow to your knowledge. If anything yells at linux, backfire and assume the attacker uses windows. Remember, you "chose" everything about your O/S and since it works for you everyone must use it too!

3) If you like windows then your a noob. Everyone knows you only do it because "everyone else does". You yell at both of the other O/S just because they are not your cup of tea and claim "its my way or the highway" when it comes to getting anything done.

Well....thats basicaly the perceptions of the internet. Why? Well there may be some people who actually fall into those perceptions but I seriously doubt that it holds true for all users of any O/S. I just really would like to understand why its seen this way: How come if you praise Linux your fighting the power and are for "freedom" yet if you praise Mac your just being naive and if you praise windows your useless and are a m$ lover. Thats what really makes me laugh.

What do I use you ask? Windows....it does what I need, not because I dislike the other two. In all truth I've never used a mac nor have I been enlightened to different linux flavours (only slackware/redhat). Is there a better choice for me? Maybe. Do I care? Not really...unless some linux varient tickles me a certain way, or if I somehow obtain a mac to try out. Does this make me a noob and a moron? I guess so since I support the evil M$ empire and don't have any linux penguin bumper stickers or wallpapers

People need to leave this kind of thing off the net. Why not constructivly criticize all choices? An O/S is meant to provide you with a good platform. If someone finds one platform above another...why should that make you feel threatened? It doesn't make sense.

If you flame me or call me names you'll only prove me right....

Reply 2 of 3, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

What do I use you ask? Windows....it does what I need, not because I dislike the other two. In all truth I've never used a mac nor have I been enlightened to different linux flavours (only slackware/redhat).

Right there avatar_58, you fall into the same trap as 99.99% of the happy amateurs. No one (except for the 0.001% of the users that do some programming) uses an operating system. What they use is a shell - either a command line shell, or a GUI shell.

What most people fall in love with is the GUI, whether it is called Explorer (on Windows), Finder (on Mac), KDE, fvwm2, twm, mwm (on Linux), or Workbench (Amiga).

A few connoisseur (like me) have actuall fallen in love with an operating system. In my case it is Unix due to its simplicity, stability, versatility, and expandability.

Death to Windows 😒 Long live Unix/Linux/MacOSX 😁

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 3 of 3, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Exactly.

The OS doesn't matter. Even the guy's that program the OS's do not want the OS to be noticed. As long as the OS does what it needs to do and does it well for your purposes that's all that matters.

As for me.....

I've been using MS OS's since MS-DOS 4 back in 1990.
I've been using Linux off and on since 1999 but it's mostly been Windows usage sadly.
I've never used a MAC except for the Apple II computer's back in the day...I prefer building my own computer and the price range was way out there anyway, plus the OS sucked A@@ before OSX.

I've recently found the time to start game testing under Linux and was quite suprised at the progress that Wine\Cedega had made. This is one of the biggest things holding me back from full usage of Linux, already I've started converting most of my Windows tasks into Linux....hopefully pretty soon I'll be full Linux except for a couple of games.