Common searches

Vogons Ranks

Topic actions

First post, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Of course there are Vogons ranks, depending on the number of posts that everyone has. Most people still are Newbies here, with the least being l33t+. What's the highest rank possible here, and is there a race for it? I see DosFreak has the most posts currently with appiah4 having the most posts/day.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 3 of 43, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

l33t++'s after 5000, and that is it. Postcount/ranks don't really matter, unless you want to PM someone. I'm in no race to find out, and a posting rate isn't exactly a thing one should be proud of.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 43, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

At least one must be "Member" to be able to PM someone, this seems to be done to prevent spamming the PM inboxes.

There are even some users with the l33t ranking and aren't that knowledgeable, so the number of posts aren't really a good indicator.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 6 of 43, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Duke is #1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlXHCykk7fU

Initially we used Vogons avatars but that went way. Vogons do have a hierarchy but on this site everyone is equal except for the rank for post count and if you're a mod.
Over time we've had assholes mess things up so we had to put restrictions in place. 🙁
Some day you'll be l33t like the rest of us. 😉

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 43, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DosFreak wrote on 2022-04-11, 16:25:
The Duke is #1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlXHCykk7fU […]
Show full quote

The Duke is #1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlXHCykk7fU

Initially we used Vogons avatars but that went way. Vogons do have a hierarchy but on this site everyone is equal except for the rank for post count and if you're a mod.
Over time we've had assholes mess things up so we had to put restrictions in place. 🙁
Some day you'll be l33t like the rest of us. 😉

I saw some people put .gif as their profile, I wonder if it's possible now.

Regarding mods, I have seen vladr becoming inactive here. Isn't he the the Vlad who made VDMSound?

Then I remember Nicht Sehr Gut and Caulser2000 being some of the most active members but now inactive and banned respectively.

Well Snover was successful in launching a good community after all.

Also wonder about PhilsComputerLab and his other profile Mau1wurff and why he left from here suddenly, he's still active on YT.

Reply 8 of 43, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just realized I made it to "Oldbie" within a few weeks - must be the post 500 mark.
It happens if you engage in topics like this one. So far I could help it not to post any photos of my dinner.

At least now I'm not a total member any more.
So, far from being a noob, by the time I'll reach "leet" status I hope I'll know half as much as Jon Snow.

I like jumpers.

Reply 9 of 43, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-04-11, 17:08:

Also wonder about PhilsComputerLab and his other profile Mau1wurff and why he left from here suddenly, he's still active on YT.

I believe that is was due to the Electromyne controversy based on what I read. He is still kind of lurking around since he has done video about UNISOUND and Using Audigy 2 ZS drivers with a SB Live!, both which originated on this forum.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 10 of 43, by RaiderOfLostVoodoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-04-11, 17:14:

So, far from being a noob, by the time I'll reach "leet" status I hope I'll know half as much as Jon Snow.

Half of nothing = still nothing.

Reply 11 of 43, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RaiderOfLostVoodoo wrote on 2022-04-11, 18:07:
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-04-11, 17:14:

Half of nothing = still nothing.

The mathematician speaks...

Gmlb256 wrote on 2022-04-11, 17:39:
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-04-11, 17:08:

I believe that is was due to the Electromyne controversy based on what I read. He is still kind of lurking around since he has done video about UNISOUND and Using Audigy 2 ZS drivers with a SB Live!, both which originated on this forum.

Isn't electromyne his sponsorer? I haven't heard about the controversy but yeah he is still following this site, but not mentioning it as he used to.

Reply 12 of 43, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-04-11, 18:22:

Isn't electromyne his sponsorer? I haven't heard about the controversy but yeah he is still following this site, but not mentioning it as he used to.

Yes, even Phil was offering discount codes when someone bought on Electromyne. Seems that some users here were unhappy about the sponsorship and saw him as an accomplice in rising prices for old hardware.

Last edited by Gmlb256 on 2022-04-11, 23:05. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 13 of 43, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-04-11, 11:43:

Of course there are Vogons ranks, depending on the number of posts that everyone has. Most people still are Newbies here, with the least being l33t+. What's the highest rank possible here, and is there a race for it? I see DosFreak has the most posts currently with appiah4 having the most posts/day.

Did you calculate the post/day manually or is there somewhere these stats are conveniently displayed?

And I'd say quality over quantity! 👍

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 14 of 43, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gmlb256 wrote on 2022-04-11, 18:47:

Yes, even Phil was offering discount codes when someone bought on Electromyne. Seems that some users here were unhappy about the sponsorship and saw him as an accomplice in rising prices for old hardware.

Interesting.
So, people blamed Phil for, uhm, capitalism?

I'm no expert on youtubing, but I think making a living off it isn't trivial and many channels have some kind of sponsoring deal - if it's done with open cards, well, we can't all be amateurs?

Never bought at electromyne. But compared to countless crypto-commercial hardware Bogarts on the bay, how evil are they really?
Never underestimate the challenge on providing used goods on normal retail levels, with all the liabilities of customer's right to return items and warranty...

I like jumpers.

Reply 15 of 43, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-04-11, 23:18:
Interesting. So, people blamed Phil for, uhm, capitalism? […]
Show full quote

Interesting.

I'm no expert on youtubing, but I think making a living off it isn't trivial and many channels have some kind of sponsoring deal - if it's done with open cards, well, we can't all be amateurs?

Never bought at electromyne. But compared to countless crypto-commercial hardware Bogarts on the bay, how evil are they really?
Never underestimate the challenge on providing used goods on normal retail levels, with all the liabilities of customer's right to return items and warranty...

Yep, buying old and used things has its own risks no matter where you are getting it. Some people think they are entitled to them.

As for Phil, someone who witnessed the controversy first hand could explain that with clarity as I rarely watch Phil's YouTube channel. His channel some interesting videos but a good amount of them are focused on an era that I'm not interested as far as retro computing is concerned.

Anyway, better not to get this thread derailed about him and hardware prices which doesn't end well.

Reply 16 of 43, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gmlb256 wrote on 2022-04-12, 00:39:
Yep, buying old and used things has its own risks no matter where you are getting it. Some people think they are entitled to the […]
Show full quote
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-04-11, 23:18:
Interesting. So, people blamed Phil for, uhm, capitalism? […]
Show full quote

Interesting.

Yep, buying old and used things has its own risks no matter where you are getting it. Some people think they are entitled to them.

As for Phil, someone who witnessed the controversy first hand could explain that with clarity as I rarely watch Phil's YouTube channel. His channel some interesting videos but a good amount of them are focused on an era that I'm not interested as far as retro computing is concerned.

Anyway, better not to get this thread derailed about him and hardware prices which doesn't end well.

Well, since the OP's questions have been more than answered, I don't think there's great discipline due here, or?

But, anyway, not important. I liked much of Phil's stuff as he gave advice for realizing DOS and 9x machines on a budget and making do with what's available, somewhat down to earth.
Also, funny accent 😉

I like jumpers.

Reply 17 of 43, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's just the nature of internet forums, that the user group is mostly temporary. Forum profiles take a long time to build up, but it doesn't take much to end them. A small argument which blows up into foolishness, or a lingering disagreement with mods, or some other scandal-in-a-teacup, can suddenly make a former online home untenable.

Having seen or even experienced such things firsthand over the years, it's always the same pattern of trivialities as mentioned above. I don't think the exact details - e.g. with PCL - really matter, and anyway, it's not polite/fair to speak at length about a non-participating user.

Reply 18 of 43, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shreddoc wrote on 2022-04-12, 01:10:

It's just the nature of internet forums, that the user group is mostly temporary. Forum profiles take a long time to build up, but it doesn't take much to end them. A small argument which blows up into foolishness, or a lingering disagreement with mods, or some other scandal-in-a-teacup, can suddenly make a former online home untenable.

Having seen or even experienced such things firsthand over the years, it's always the same pattern of trivialities as mentioned above. I don't think the exact details - e.g. with PCL - really matter, and anyway, it's not polite/fair to speak at length about a non-participating user.

Good point. I was mainly defending him, but let's leave it be.

Users leaving a forum, sure, happens all the time.
There was one that got to bask in my presence for years, but then they pissed me off.
Turns out, that simply is the place where fun, passion and eloquence go to die. Awful, nasty place full of highly unattractive minds.
Think the name was "face-book" or something like that.

I like jumpers.

Reply 19 of 43, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-04-12, 01:21:
Good point. I was mainly defending him, but let's leave it be. […]
Show full quote
Shreddoc wrote on 2022-04-12, 01:10:

Good point. I was mainly defending him, but let's leave it be.

Users leaving a forum, sure, happens all the time.
There was one that got to bask in my presence for years, but then they pissed me off.
Turns out, that simply is the place where fun, passion and eloquence go to die. Awful, nasty place full of highly unattractive minds.
Think the name was "face-book" or something like that.

Yes, one must always be suspicious of a "book" which contains mostly pictures, right?

Usually when a person leaves a niche interest forum, it is due to an issue with just one or a few people - the same cannot be said for mainstream social media! There, it is simply all Borg*.

(*and not of the Bjorn variety, before you speak..)