Vogons Ranks

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 43, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shreddoc wrote on 2022-04-12, 01:38:
Yes, one must always be suspicious of a "book" which contains mostly pictures, right? […]
Show full quote
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-04-12, 01:21:
Good point. I was mainly defending him, but let's leave it be. […]
Show full quote
Shreddoc wrote on 2022-04-12, 01:10:

It's just the nature of internet forums, that the user group is mostly temporary. Forum profiles take a long time to build up, but it doesn't take much to end them. A small argument which blows up into foolishness, or a lingering disagreement with mods, or some other scandal-in-a-teacup, can suddenly make a former online home untenable.

Having seen or even experienced such things firsthand over the years, it's always the same pattern of trivialities as mentioned above. I don't think the exact details - e.g. with PCL - really matter, and anyway, it's not polite/fair to speak at length about a non-participating user.

Good point. I was mainly defending him, but let's leave it be.

Users leaving a forum, sure, happens all the time.
There was one that got to bask in my presence for years, but then they pissed me off.
Turns out, that simply is the place where fun, passion and eloquence go to die. Awful, nasty place full of highly unattractive minds.
Think the name was "face-book" or something like that.

Yes, one must always be suspicious of a "book" which contains mostly pictures, right?

Usually when a person leaves a niche interest forum, it is due to an issue with just one or a few people - the same cannot be said for mainstream social media! There, it is simply all Borg*.

(*and not of the Bjorn variety, before you speak..)

Well, sometimes special interests just take a hiatus. I myself registered here in 2013 than didn't even lurk for half a decade and then exhumed an old mail account just to exhume my login here.

Also, "Borg" ist the German agrarian term for a neutered, male pig.
So there's that.

I like jumpers.

Reply 21 of 43, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There, it is simply all Borg*.

(*and not of the Bjorn variety, before you speak..)

*Grabs the other end of the stick.* ... nah it's more your John McEnroe, racquet throwing tantrums and swearing at the umpires, yer basic social media platform.

Ah right, topic, ranks, nobody salutes and you don't get a pay increase, pffft.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 22 of 43, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've been here for quite a while and wondered what the highest title was.

I've also gotten annoyed quite a few times at certains members and even mods.

If you can just learn to take certain stuff with a grain of salt and not get all bent out of shape about stuff then you can keep having a good time on forums such as this.

One of the forums I am a member of have an enormous number of threads where the members are bashing a specific member for fun and threads where it just becomes a bash-fest for whoever wants to join in bashing each other.

It's all in good fun so nobody really cares.

It's actually a really good place to hang out and has been for years and years.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 23 of 43, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Usually when a person leaves a niche interest forum, it is due to an issue with just one or a few people - the same cannot be said for mainstream social media!

Or maybe personal decisions maybe, PCL could have stayed here and keep silence on Electromyne. Well money business shouldn't be discussed anyways so that was irrelevant if he provided more content here.

cyclone3d wrote on 2022-04-12, 04:34:
I've been here for quite a while and wondered what the highest title was. […]
Show full quote

I've been here for quite a while and wondered what the highest title was.

I've also gotten annoyed quite a few times at certains members and even mods.

If you can just learn to take certain stuff with a grain of salt and not get all bent out of shape about stuff then you can keep having a good time on forums such as this.

One of the forums I am a member of have an enormous number of threads where the members are bashing a specific member for fun and threads where it just becomes a bash-fest for whoever wants to join in bashing each other.

It's all in good fun so nobody really cares.

It's actually a really good place to hang out and has been for years and years.

Since forums like this one provides more than "Very old games on new systems", it refuses to get boring after some time and people hand onto it. Balance should be there in life, right? Vogons has quite the balance.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 25 of 43, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-04-11, 17:08:

I saw some people put .gif as their profile, I wonder if it's possible now.

Now who would do something as annoying as that? 😁

Gmlb256 wrote on 2022-04-11, 18:47:

Yes, even Phil was offering discount codes when someone bought on Electromyne. Seems that some users here were unhappy about the sponsorship and saw him as an accomplice in rising prices for old hardware.

I never quite understood the logic behind that. The man's gotta eat - and I for one am very happy about the Opti Mad 16 Pro soundcard deal he made, because it allowed me to get a really good DOS sound card for a very good price.
Other people like the 8 Bit Guy and LGR are also bringing obscure hardware into the spotlight, driving up the prices - yet I don't see people getting as mad about them on the same level.

Aren't we all driving the prices for this hobby up by just discussing it publicly here? 😉

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 26 of 43, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-04-12, 06:56:

Usually when a person leaves a niche interest forum, it is due to an issue with just one or a few people - the same cannot be said for mainstream social media!

Or maybe personal decisions maybe, PCL could have stayed here and keep silence on Electromyne. Well money business shouldn't be discussed anyways so that was irrelevant if he provided more content here.

Quality over quantity.

Reply 27 of 43, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
schmatzler wrote on 2022-04-12, 20:47:
I never quite understood the logic behind that. The man's gotta eat - and I for one am very happy about the Opti Mad 16 Pro soun […]
Show full quote

Yes, even Phil was offering discount codes when someone bought on Electromyne. Seems that some users here were unhappy about the sponsorship and saw him as an accomplice in rising prices for old hardware.

I never quite understood the logic behind that. The man's gotta eat - and I for one am very happy about the Opti Mad 16 Pro soundcard deal he made, because it allowed me to get a really good DOS sound card for a very good price.
Other people like the 8 Bit Guy and LGR are also bringing obscure hardware into the spotlight, driving up the prices - yet I don't see people getting as mad about them on the same level.

Aren't we all driving the prices for this hobby up by just discussing it publicly here? 😉

I agree with you on this. Even the last bit of it 😜

I don't see it as some kind of controversy, youtubers do sponsorships all the time and many of those are totally unrelated to the rest of the contents and it never bothered me as as much as some of the youtubers calling their sponsors their very really good friends (which I actually do find annoying). I think Phil's has done the retro community a great service both on his channel and on here. I reckon prices were gonna go up anyway, covid and the parts not having been made anymore for a long while (well, most parts anyway) with parts continuously dying combined with ebay greed being a thing as well (sellers always jacking up prices and ebay skimming more money of the sales prices), prices were probably gonna go up regardless.

So I'm not too bothered with it, though the rise of prices did and has caught me by surprise anyway.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 28 of 43, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
schmatzler wrote on 2022-04-12, 20:47:
I never quite understood the logic behind that. The man's gotta eat - and I for one am very happy about the Opti Mad 16 Pro soun […]
Show full quote

I agree with this. Nothing wrong with making his hobby a success. His channel is fairly diverse I think and I've gotten enjoyment out of his videos and learned a few things along the way. That is worth something.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2022-04-15, 06:54. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 32 of 43, by RaiderOfLostVoodoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-04-13, 06:31:

This thread is going from "Vogons Ranks" to "PCL monetization". He won't be happy seeing I started this thread 🙁

Why does it matter?
He didn't post anything within the last 5 years.

Reply 33 of 43, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shreddoc wrote on 2022-04-13, 07:40:

It could be a rank demotion! 😧 😧 😧

You guys xD

RaiderOfLostVoodoo wrote on 2022-04-13, 07:56:

This thread is going from "Vogons Ranks" to "PCL monetization". He won't be happy seeing I started this thread 🙁

Why does it matter?
He didn't post anything within the last 5 years.

Nah I mean we shouldn't be discussing other people after all...

Reply 34 of 43, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm reasonably sure he isn't the only one if it's about feeling somewhat unhappy about making a point of the sponsorship when the sponsorship by itself is barely even worth mentioning imho. It's just beating a dead horse at this point and the horse itself was barely worth mentioning even back then. It's been discussed to death, at some point you just gotta move on. Personally I wouldn't be surprised if (if he reads this here) he barely even cares himself (disclaimer, I obviously can't think for him so I could easily be wrong about this).

He has the most replies but spread out across 2 accounts, so it's not weird seeing his name being mentioned due to the topic of this thread.
And also don't forget this thread is only like a day old so no need to enter dramatown already. Regarding ranks on forums, there just isn't very much to discuss anyway.

Report spammers here!

Reply 35 of 43, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote on 2022-04-13, 11:18:

I'm reasonably sure he isn't the only one if it's about feeling somewhat unhappy about making a point of the sponsorship when the sponsorship by itself is barely even worth mentioning imho.

I wasn't around when this whole controversy happened so what I say on it becomes irrelevant anyways. Was it like doing business on vogons, similar to QEMU 3dfx project?

Reply 36 of 43, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-04-13, 11:25:

I'm reasonably sure he isn't the only one if it's about feeling somewhat unhappy about making a point of the sponsorship when the sponsorship by itself is barely even worth mentioning imho.

I wasn't around when this whole controversy happened so what I say on it becomes irrelevant anyways. Was it like doing business on vogons, similar to QEMU 3dfx project?

Unlike Phil, that QEMU fork was notorious for its author which was promoting it even in places where nobody asked for it and had an arrogant attitude.

As for the derailment that's why I mentioned posts ago that it was better to stop or the mods will likely lock this thread later on. 😜

Last edited by Gmlb256 on 2023-01-27, 05:03. Edited 1 time in total.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 37 of 43, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's not even a controversy, or barely so. Some people tried to make it a controversy but imo it never was. It was however discussed along other youtubers who helped make retro computing more popular and this "controversy" was just a sidenote in that open debate. Btw the debate itself was rather interesting.

Like they say in Dutch, it was nothing more than a storm in a glass of water.

Gmlb256 wrote on 2022-04-13, 12:29:

Unlike Phil, that QEMU fork was notorious for its author which was promothing it even in places where nobody asked for it and had an arrogant attitude.

As for the derailment that's why I mentioned posts ago that it was better to stop or the mods will likely lock this thread later on. 😜

If there was one thing Phil was devoid of, it's arrogancy. I never noticed any arrogancy in whatever medium he positioned himself in. If anything, he's been rather helpful overall. Heck, his own website has been a reliable (and free for us) staple when it comes to certain drivers and benchmark suites for the retro computing community.

If I had to say anything about it, I'd say it was mostly just an angry (and perhaps even jealous) mob having descended from the bowels of the net.
Claiming he somehow 'backstabbed' 'us' or any wording of that kind is frankly just preposterous.
And I'm not saying he is perfect. Nobody is. But at some point it just became mostly antfuckery.

Report spammers here!

Reply 38 of 43, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote on 2022-04-11, 22:52:
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-04-11, 11:43:

Of course there are Vogons ranks, depending on the number of posts that everyone has. Most people still are Newbies here, with the least being l33t+. What's the highest rank possible here, and is there a race for it? I see DosFreak has the most posts currently with appiah4 having the most posts/day.

Did you calculate the post/day manually or is there somewhere these stats are conveniently displayed?

And I'm still waiting for this btw 😜

Report spammers here!

Reply 39 of 43, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote on 2022-04-13, 12:53:
Tetrium wrote on 2022-04-11, 22:52:
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-04-11, 11:43:

Of course there are Vogons ranks, depending on the number of posts that everyone has. Most people still are Newbies here, with the least being l33t+. What's the highest rank possible here, and is there a race for it? I see DosFreak has the most posts currently with appiah4 having the most posts/day.

Did you calculate the post/day manually or is there somewhere these stats are conveniently displayed?

And I'm still waiting for this btw 😜

Just check your own profile.