VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 21 of 24, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In a peaceful time long long ago, I remember trading in my boxed TES:Arena, floppy version(!), and a bunch of other boxed floppy games, for a boxed CD-ROM copy of System Shock 2 in a shop that specialized in used games and music(CD/LP etc).

That SS2 game then turned out to be a surprisingly scary game, maybe because I had never played any such type of game before, and didn't really know what kinda game it was, me just wanting to trade in the dusty old diskettes for a newer CD game.

No need for any kinda booze though, but that game was really something else at that time, the constant claustrophobic and lonesome spooky atmosphere and all. Not quite so scary these days, but the memories still make it fun to play again.

While Doom2 was much more cartoonish and in your face, not really scary much (though one did jump a little when the monster suddenly broke thru a hidden wall etc).

Reply 22 of 24, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I seem to have a little bit more than normal of natural glitch built in, so for this reason...
https://whyy.org/segments/when-a-bit-of-booze … boost-you-need/

between one and two drinks make me super awesome... well a bit gooderer at rally and circuit racing games and real life pool and snooker, though strangely I seem to have manage to avoid figuring effects on FPS games thus far and likely won't, I'm at like one drink a month because of meds, but I hadn't been a big drinker for a couple of decades, don't like my head foggy. Perversely, I think more than about 5 would probably tend to make me more jumpy as far as scares go though.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 23 of 24, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bestemor wrote on 2022-05-17, 01:01:

That SS2 game then turned out to be a surprisingly scary game, maybe because I had never played any such type of game before, and didn't really know what kinda game it was, me just wanting to trade in the dusty old diskettes for a newer CD game.

System Shock 2 is a great game, and very atmospheric. It has game mechanics that I usually don't like, such as randomly spawning enemies, weapon degradation (and a rather harsh implementation of it, at that), and player movement that feels less deliberate or powerful than in most other first person games, but in SS2 they all come together to make the game much better than if these things weren't in the game.

If anyone wants a really great first person action RPG with various weapons including melee attacks, one that requires some thought, and has strong atmosphere, then I'd really recommend System Shock 2. But if you do play it, then make sure you first download and use SS2Tool, a fan-made program that updates the game and fixes some problems with the game (SS2 was released with quite a few bug and flaws, both major and minor).

Go here to read about it and to download SS2Tool:

https://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=4141.0

You'll probably then want to install the fan-made patch SCP (The System Shock 2 Community Patch), as it has many bug fixes and attribute balances. And you might want to play the game with mods to improve the graphics and sound, it's up to you. To get SCP (you should use SCP, even if you don't bother with the other mods) go to:

https://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=4447.0