Common searches

I miss the 70’s, 80’s, and 90’s

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 202, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I always thought of the 1970s as the worst decade of the 20th century, but I'd definitely take it over the mess that was the last 20 years. #$% the 21st century.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 21 of 202, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2022-05-12, 13:28:

I always thought of the 1970s as the worst decade of the 20th century, but I'd definitely take it over the mess that was the last 20 years. #$% the 21st century.

The '90s was kind of a mixed bag. I really liked the early 90s, but things started sucking around 1995 or so. More precisely, it's when Gen X culture got sidelined.

Reply 22 of 202, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2022-05-12, 13:32:

The '90s was kind of a mixed bag. I really liked the early 90s, but things started sucking around 1995 or so. More precisely, it's when Gen X culture got sidelined.

did .. you just reply to your own post ? rather than edit it ?

You know the first sign of madness is talking to yourself.
The second is answering yourself.

thats 2 for 2

Reply 24 of 202, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-05-12, 13:35:
did .. you just reply to your own post ? rather than edit it ? […]
Show full quote

thats 2 for 2

Yes. It happens a lot.
I meant to go back and fix it, but at that very moment my wife informed me that she had just found a really big bag of money so I got distracted and forgot about it.

Reply 25 of 202, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ptr1ck wrote on 2022-05-12, 13:49:

I miss anticipating Y2K.

You miss the hype, I can understand that ..what really hurt was how much of a fizzer it was.

Little to nothing actually happened, it was like turning up to a rave party to find no band, no booze and no drugs.

Reply 26 of 202, by ThinkpadIL

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I miss anticipating Y2K.

Nowadays you have Y2K every once in a while when you suddenly get a notice that next month Blablube is going to stop supporting your version of Blabloid. 😄

Last edited by ThinkpadIL on 2022-05-12, 13:57. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 27 of 202, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2022-05-12, 13:52:
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-05-12, 13:35:
did .. you just reply to your own post ? rather than edit it ? […]
Show full quote

thats 2 for 2

Yes. It happens a lot.
I meant to go back and fix it, but at that very moment my wife informed me that she had just found a really big bag of money so I got distracted and forgot about it.

😁

Reply 29 of 202, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ThinkpadIL wrote on 2022-05-12, 09:22:

Just a small example. If you think that there wasn't an eBay in 70's, you're wrong. It was even in year 70 B.C. But then you had to wait quite a lot of time just to receive a catalog which would arrive in a form of rolled paper with some guy on horse. Then you'd have to wait few months till you'd get your order. Of course packaging materials were very primitive back then, but you are able to experience that kind of eBay even today. There are still some sellers who have no clue that bubble wrap is already invented and package things with crumpled sheets of newspaper. And you always can order shipping by Sea. It will take about the same time to arrive as in year 70 B.C.

70 b.c. was the last time you could get a voodoo card on ebay-ish for under $5000 i think!

I miss anticipating Y2K.

there is something about that seems to have gone - the optimism of the 90's perhaps

Reply 30 of 202, by ThinkpadIL

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerry wrote on 2022-05-12, 15:03:

70 b.c. was the last time you could get a voodoo card on ebay-ish for under $5000 i think!

If you'll look around you'll see that there are always places where you can get things for a fraction of eBay prices. For example there are some pieces of hardware that are sold on eBay for $300 and just around the corner the same day you can find them for $20.

Be creative, be patient and don't be lazy and you'll get all you want and for affordable price. 🙂

Reply 31 of 202, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The decline of smoking has been accompanied by an increase in weight. These things are probably related. Instead of lung disease people die of heart disease. At least the air is cleaner I suppose.

I suspect the increase in allergies also has to do with the decline in smoking.

Last edited by Errius on 2022-05-12, 17:07. Edited 1 time in total.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 32 of 202, by ThinkpadIL

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Errius wrote on 2022-05-12, 16:14:

The decline smoking has been accompanied by an increase in weight. These things are probably related. Instead of lung disease people die of heart disease. At least the air is cleaner I suppose.

I suspect the increase in allergies also has to do with the decline in smoking.

The nature (or the God) has created us weak enough to ensure that we will for sure die and strong enough to let us hold on till then for several dozens of years. 🙂

Reply 33 of 202, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sometimes I miss the 1990s. It was a simpler time (and my country was still rich). People were more social which is good for your mental health. Nowadays you are nerdy on your own, which is a shame. Introverts usually need to be forced to be social or they revert into loneliness which is not good for you.

Reply 36 of 202, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I miss the simplicity of gaming in the mid to late 90s. You would go to a physical store, buy a game CD, put it on your PC (or PlayStation) and it would just work. No mandatory firmware updates, no enormous day 1 patches to download, no hiding half of the game's content behind season passes and no "always online" DRM for single-player games

The rapid hardware advancements were another cool thing during that time. A lot could change in just a few years. In particular, upgrading from something like a Pentium 133 + S3 Trio64 to a Pentium 3 Coppermine + TNT2 felt like a quantum leap.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 37 of 202, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

After thinking a lot about it, what I miss the most is the pre-Internet days. Or I should say the pre-"massive Internet adoption" days, I'm fine when it was non-essential for life. What I really miss is how slow some things used to be... when a movie, game or album came out, there was enough time to absorb it, enjoy it to the fullest (or be thoroughly disappointed by it). Nowadays these things are no longer an "event", it's just about the hype about what's coming next, and as soon as it's there you pretty much have to move on to the next big thing at breakneck speed.

With a game, for example, the hidden secrets and that sort of stuff took time to be unraveled, sometimes you would find it on a magazine or a friend who stumbled into it. All that is gone now, when a game comes out it gets fully datamined in less than 24hs and in the same period of time you already have thousands of 100% playthroughs. And the key here is that unless you cut yourself off the Internet for a while, you can't avoid it.

It also has affected my work as a software developer. New versions of libraries and frameworks are released almost daily, many times breaking compatibility with the previous versions and threatening to end support unless you update. All of this without providing any real added value. It's 2022 and we're still finding new and innovative ways to render an accordion in HTML, while using extremely complex algorithms behind the scenes to determine which annoying adds we're going to show to the hapless users. Or crypto mining, another example of heaps of processing power absurdly wasted on inane things.

I would pay good money to get back to those saturday mornings when my friends and I would go to the (not entirely legal) games store with a box of floppies to get the "latest" stuff, fooling around waiting for the game to install. Even if it was a disappointment, we would go back to Wolf3D/Doom (or downloading 640x480 pics of Pam Anderson at 2KB/s) and have a lot of fun.

Reply 38 of 202, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Things were simple back in the 70’s thru 80’s.
You could go home and forget about work. Relax have a refreshment.
The 90’s were more hectic but still manageable.

Bring back the Fax Machine. I still have Mine but have not received a fax in a long time and have not been asked to send a fax either.
I have not sent a Fax since 2018.

Attachments

Reply 39 of 202, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The "Golden Age" was 1990 - 2006; beginning with Windows 3.x and the premier series of Upper Deck 1990-91 Hockey Cards and sunset-ed with the end of support for Windows NT 4.0 and the release of Windows Vista and NVidia Geforce 8800 Series cards. There's a special place in my heart for '95-'00, though.