VOGONS

Common searches

[Solved] Trying to find a copy of Borland C++ 3.0 (not 3.1)

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by lethal_guitar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For a reverse-engineering/source code recreation project, I'm trying to find a copy of Borland C++ 3.0. I was able to easily find versions 2.0 and 3.1 on the internet, but not 3.0 - it's not on archive.org, nor does it seem to be on any Abandonware sites AFAICT. Was wondering if someone here happens to have a copy of it, or maybe has some suggestions on where else to look/ask for it.

The reason I need specifically 3.0 is that the code I'm analyzing is definitely using some functions that are not present in 2.0's standard library, like _dos_read(). But the codegen of 3.1 is off in certain places, and the Copyright string in the EXE is also 1991, whereas 3.1 has 1992. I did find a manual for 3.0 which does mention the _dos_read() function, so I'm fairly confident that 3.0 is what the original authors were using.

Last edited by lethal_guitar on 2022-06-17, 12:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 10, by lethal_guitar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
vstrakh wrote on 2022-06-17, 10:39:

This page with floppy images shows the screenshot with version 3.0 exactly: REMOVED
Some more choices are close by: REMOVED

Thanks, I've got my copy of 3.1 from that page. But the screenshot you're referring to is Turbo C++ 3.0, not Borland C++ 3.0 (the former was a lower cost option for hobbyists, the latter was for professional development). I might as well give it a try to see if the codegen behavior matches but based on the mismatching copyright in the screenshot ("1990, 1992" vs "1991", which I'm looking for) I'm not too confident that it will be the right version.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2022-07-10, 18:10. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 10, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Use other forms of communication for things that aren't approved on vogons.

So:
Q: I'm looking for X and I think I should be able to download it because it's old so of course I think I should be able to do whatever I want.
Response: I can help you with tracking that down. Send me a PM or email

Note that if it's a thread with a bunch of responses for emails and PMs then it will be closed.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 10 of 10, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Closed.
Mods cannot monitor every thread, users should report these violations as quickly as possibly so that this site can continue to operate.
ucp.php?mode=terms

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline