VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This thought appeared suddenly. Sound Blaster, Adlib, Gravis, WSS played a vital role in DOS and mainly upto Windows 9X era. Since then, MIDI has been emulated but I don't know other things from it to be emulated.

So has there been ever the practice to emulate an entire card? I am not quite sure how that will work out, but you can think how the MIDI will work out, also the CD audio mixer may be predictable. So in all seriousness, is there any need to emulate an entire "such old card" for a new platform.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 3 of 7, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You're not going to run those old .386/.VXD device drivers and DOS TSRs on "new platforms".

Sound card faking attempts were done with VDMSound and SoundFX2000 to a limited buggy degree in the early 00s prior to DOSBox obseleting NTVDM workarounds, and as DOS16 NTVDM's pretty much dead for at least a decade....

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 7, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote on 2022-06-26, 21:21:

You're not going to run those old .386/.VXD device drivers and DOS TSRs on "new platforms".

Sound card faking attempts were done with VDMSound and SoundFX2000 to a limited buggy degree in the early 00s prior to DOSBox obseleting NTVDM workarounds, and as DOS16 NTVDM's pretty much dead for at least a decade....

That clears Dos emulation. Win32 Games that look for a particular sound driver, or a particular sound card, do they exist. Very old Win32 games would list a Sound Blaster compatible as the minimum so I ask here if any Win32 game from the time did such a thing

Reply 5 of 7, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There are certain games like Eradicator which can use AWE cards in interesting ways. A few DOS titles also have native (enhanced) ESFM support which can sound kinda neat.

file.php?id=100595&mode=view

These are edge cases though, not the norm.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 6 of 7, by Plasma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-06-26, 21:38:

That clears Dos emulation. Win32 Games that look for a particular sound driver, or a particular sound card, do they exist. Very old Win32 games would list a Sound Blaster compatible as the minimum so I ask here if any Win32 game from the time did such a thing

In general, no. Windows abstracted hardware access for this very reason, to avoid software needing to specifically support hardware. Back in the day I used to play MS Golf with a "PC speaker" sound driver because I didn't have a sound card.

The one exception would be extensions such as EAX/A3D. But those were never required.

Reply 7 of 7, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Plasma wrote on 2022-06-27, 00:52:
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-06-26, 21:38:

In general, no. Windows abstracted hardware access for this very reason, to avoid software needing to specifically support hardware. Back in the day I used to play MS Golf with a "PC speaker" sound driver because I didn't have a sound card.

The one exception would be extensions such as EAX/A3D. But those were never required.

Hmm so that clears it then. There's no need of emulating an entire sound card for Windows, except for proprietary features.