User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gerry wrote on 2022-07-07, 07:31:
makes it sound vulnerable :( […]
Show full quote
Hezus wrote on 2022-07-05, 19:35:

Glad to see this little corner of web 1.0 still standing! Congrats Vogons!

makes it sound vulnerable 🙁

if vogons went then retro pc discussion would dissipate to various small islands of social media and tiny unsustainable forums set up by earnest enthusiasts, it would effectively be over

forums may be web 1.0 i agree and with that they have a number of advantages over other forms (not least showing up on search engine results)

I definitely agree with this one!
The information is relatively easy to find and because of the focus on writing and the clean structure (not unlike some certain socialmedia platform about faces where the GUI is so messy I still keep forgetting where I need to go to in order to go to do something) makes it easy to read and comprehend and also easy to download (and I mean download what you see and not that you end up with some corrupted page which has almost all relevant information missing or something).

Also this format invites one to take the time to write something, which in turn makes it a more pleasant read years down the road which imo is one of the strengths of this forum format.

It's structured so nicely, I really can't see the benefits of other platforms who clearly use a more messy layout (like facebook, discord, reddit, etc) and/or where you soon need to scroll ungodly amounts in order to re-find something again where in forums it's much easier (and faster) to click to the previous page of threads.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 61 of 72, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote on 2022-07-08, 07:58:

and also easy to download (and I mean download what you see and not that you end up with some corrupted page which has almost all relevant information missing or something).

Yes it's awesome that a free forum such as Vogons hosts its own pictures and files, so the obscure driver you need isn't on some long-gone BlahUploadShare site.

Reply 62 of 72, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I saw the birthday hat, but did not scroll in the topics, so did not know how old the site/ forum is. Well happy birthday i guess. Learned alot of things in here, the community seems very VERY dedicaded and enthusiastic about the retro electronics it is even amazing really the amount of dedication most ppl here have.

BTW really like the main page logo, how it shifts and do stuff, someone has a good taste in such little things..

Snover wrote on 2022-07-01, 19:37:

VOGONS: 20th Anniversary Retro Edition? Sure, why not!

logo-20anniversary.jpg

It is gratifying for me to see how long and how well VOGONS has remained relevant, especially given how many online community spaces have been absorbed by the big corporate social networking sites. Happy anniversary to you all, and thank you to the whole community for keeping this space alive and well.

FK the social medias such as facebook, instagram, tweeter and others... Never liked these placed, and never will. They seems full of ppl, yet souless also full of BS and crap.. Not to mention outside of a group you can see political nonsense, wars and other crap. Meanwhile here the whole site/ forum is all about the retro games, consoles, computers, software and stuff, is not just a cash grab, as the social media is...

darry wrote on 2022-07-02, 13:38:
I love the logo's Scanimate vibe. Anybody who watched TV in the 70s and 80s will have seen this style of visual art in station I […]
Show full quote

I love the logo's Scanimate vibe. Anybody who watched TV in the 70s and 80s will have seen this style of visual art in station IDs, commercials, news show intros, etc . Those were generated using an analogue computer called Scanimate.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scanimate and especially this about the last of the Scanimate analogue visual fx computers still being maintained and used http://www.scanimate.com/

It's a fascinating read, IMHO and there are videos on youtube and a documentary for sale on the Scanimate site .

Again IMHO, this is very much in the spirit of Vogons.

Yep the logo it is a nice one..

Oetker wrote on 2022-07-08, 11:02:
Tetrium wrote on 2022-07-08, 07:58:

and also easy to download (and I mean download what you see and not that you end up with some corrupted page which has almost all relevant information missing or something).

Yes it's awesome that a free forum such as Vogons hosts its own pictures and files, so the obscure driver you need isn't on some long-gone BlahUploadShare site.

Yes that is very good, the site have its own files for upload, as using photo sites sucks, all the time i see broken links, and missing pictures, when someone post picture that was uploaded to site like image snack (these days that site is pure garbage).

Mah systems retro, old, newer (Radical stuff)
W3680 4.5/ GA-x58 UD7/ R9 280x
K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM x2 P3 933/ GA-6VXD7/ Voodoo V 5.5K
Cmq P2 450/ GA-BX2000/ V2 SLI
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 63 of 72, by drosse1meyer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

w00t
Happy (belated) Birthday!!

P1: Packard Bell - 233 MMX, Voodoo1, 64 MB, ALS100+
P2-V2: Dell Dimension - 400 Mhz, Voodoo2, 256 MB
P!!! Custom: 1 Ghz, GeForce2 Pro/64MB, 384 MB

Reply 66 of 72, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
twiz11 wrote on 2022-07-11, 00:46:
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-06-30, 08:57:

The 20th Anniversary of Vogons is here.

happy 20th anniversary, I wonder if anything will change

I tuned the crystal ball to 2042, they're arguing about whether the average Fortnite player would have had a Ryzen 9 and RTX3090 or not, and asking if that was even enough for low settings to get a barely acceptable 240fps on a barely acceptable low resolution 4K vintage monitor.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 67 of 72, by TechieDude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Only 4 more years, and it will be legally allowed to ride any kind of motorbike in my country 😆
For the record, you can only ride up to 125cc (or was it 250cc?) until you're 24 here.

Reply 68 of 72, by Alexis78

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for this Forum!
I use It when I want help for D-Fend Reloaded or for DBGL.

Edit: Woah! 20 years, It´s a lot, really, in Internet 20 years and being still alive It means that You are a living dinosaur! Congratulations Vogons!

GIVEABLEGREETINGS107-2.jpg

Reply 69 of 72, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ouch, I've been on the internet since 1993, what does that make me, Pre-Cambrian, some horseshoe crab or ceolocanth? 🤣

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 70 of 72, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-07-23, 19:47:

Ouch, I've been on the internet since 1993, what does that make me, Pre-Cambrian, some horseshoe crab or ceolocanth? 🤣

Pretty much.

Any older, and you would probably be a unicellular organism in a primordial (digital) soup. 😉
FWIW, my first Internet experience was around the same time, through a friend's father's works provided shell account on some UNIX host .
I remember using Archie and also downloading Future Crew's latest and greatest when it was still warm from Assembly 93's oven . I wasn't even old enough to (legally) drink, 🤣 .
EDIT : To be clear, I was mostly a spectator, but I was having fun and I clearly remember joking with that friend and his father about ordering a pizza over the Internet, like it was some kind of far-fetched and decadent over-indulgence .

Reply 71 of 72, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-07-23, 19:47:

I first set foot on the Internet in 1995, you predate me by two years 😀

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.