VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by CraigAB69

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I wanted to scan a couple of manuals so that text searching will work. What software do people recommend, so that the scan will enable text searching? Or do I need to pass it through a couple of pieces of software?
Linux and windows software is fine.
I have Canon MX 350, so I think it might be ok, but I am not sure. I understand there is some great hardware that will do the job, but I don't have the money for that at the moment.

Regards,
Craig

“Wyrd bið ful āræd. Fate is inexorable.”

Reply 1 of 4, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ABBYY FineReader does a great job. Not only does it do OCR, but it also fixes various scan issues like skewed pages, black borders, etc. You can also use the eraser tool there to remove scribbles/stapler holes/creases. It also gives you somewhat detailed feedback about its process and gives you some options to intervene.

Adobe Acrobat Professional also does OCR, but I think it's a bit more limited as far as page manipulation goes.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 2 of 4, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Adobe Acrobat Standard is fine as well and a lot cheaper than Pro. The only thing that Pro has over standard is running batch jobs which 99.9999% of users will never need.

And Adobe only offers subscription service now so you would most likely need to get an older version.

Foxit Phantom PDF would work fine as well.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 4, by zerodiagonal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Archive.org can "derive" text in pdf images onto an OCR'd pdf. Can't vouch for it's accuracy as I haven't really done any comparison but judging by the old manuals I archived there, it does a pretty decent job. You won't have any options to pre-process the images (like straighten edges, cropping, etc) so if you need it better do it before uploading. DIY Book Scanner has a few software solutions to automate the process, OCR is optional: https://diybookscanner.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=18 .

Reply 4 of 4, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I haven't OCR-ed anything for a while, but when I did so at work, ABBYY Fine Reader is the program I used, and it was really good, with the outputted text rarely needing any manual editing. I might have used other programs (I've worked at a few different places over the years) but if so I can't remember any, and I don't remember anyone hating ABBYY Fine Reader, or saying that they'd prefer to use a different program instead. Something more accurate might have been released in the meantime, but Fine Reader's accuracy and intelligence was already very good, plus it's probably been updated since I used it, adding more accuracy and features.

I suppose there might even be a good, free, open source OCR program now, given how clever and generous open source programmers can be,

There might even be a good, free, open source OCR program now.