VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am trying to find a program for someone who's laptop I have fixed. The program keeps an encrypted text file full of her passwords, so she starts the program, enters her password, and the list of passwords is listed as a text file, so she can copy and paste the passwords or URLS etc into any programs or web browsers, etc. Basically, it's like keeping a text file full of your PC passwords and other data, but it's encrypted to protect the data from hackers or from anyone who gains access to the laptop but doesn't have the program's password.

She can't remember the name of the program, or when it was installed, but it ran on Windows 8, was simple to look at, and let you highlight the passwords or other data by highlighting the text as you do in a text editor, then right-clicking the text, and selecting copy. Then pasting it as normal into the text entry box or address bar etc of a browser or other Windows programs.

Personally, I've not heard of anything like this, would it be safe? Most people I know either use a password manager or a real notepad and pen (the ultimate un-hackable solution).

Reply 1 of 3, by Ethaniel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kerr Avon wrote on 2022-07-07, 21:51:

I am trying to find a program for someone who's laptop I have fixed. The program keeps an encrypted text file full of her passwords, so she starts the program, enters her password, and the list of passwords is listed as a text file, so she can copy and paste the passwords or URLS etc into any programs or web browsers, etc. Basically, it's like keeping a text file full of your PC passwords and other data, but it's encrypted to protect the data from hackers or from anyone who gains access to the laptop but doesn't have the program's password.

She can't remember the name of the program, or when it was installed, but it ran on Windows 8, was simple to look at, and let you highlight the passwords or other data by highlighting the text as you do in a text editor, then right-clicking the text, and selecting copy. Then pasting it as normal into the text entry box or address bar etc of a browser or other Windows programs.

Personally, I've not heard of anything like this, would it be safe? Most people I know either use a password manager or a real notepad and pen (the ultimate un-hackable solution).

It sounds a lot like KeePass...

Reply 3 of 3, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As long as the user doesn't use terrible passwords, re-use or share any of them, a password manager such as KeePass is useful for managing a lot of accounts.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS