VOGONS

Common searches

I will never EVER buy a robot manufactured in China

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can we all agree this is the prudent stance to take on this issue. It's not that I have specific plans to actually buy a robot butler, assistant, bodyguard. If I did I know it won't come from there.

Reply 4 of 26, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
maxtherabbit wrote on 2022-07-21, 21:05:

I will smash your robot with my fists regardless of its nationality

See. People already regard these things with homo spaien style traits. While my robot won't be chinese, it may possess dual citizenship. So there.

Reply 6 of 26, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Errius wrote on 2022-07-21, 21:36:

You've been hanging around that forum that shows bloody industrial accidents haven't you?

No. I just don't savor the idea of a chinese made robot attempting to strangulate me while I sleep.

Reply 7 of 26, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chris2021 wrote on 2022-07-21, 18:54:

Can we all agree this is the prudent stance to take on this issue. It's not that I have specific plans to actually buy a robot butler, assistant, bodyguard. If I did I know it won't come from there.

My dear old mum has been coming out with this sort of anti-China nonsense a lot lately too - this is next level nonsense though I must say.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 8 of 26, by MarkP

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chris2021 wrote on 2022-07-21, 21:54:
Errius wrote on 2022-07-21, 21:36:

You've been hanging around that forum that shows bloody industrial accidents haven't you?

No. I just don't savor the idea of a chinese made robot attempting to strangulate me while I sleep.

Components inside that robot WILL be from China.

You have been assimilated!!!!

Reply 13 of 26, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

most people who follow slashdot will likely have seen this

https://twitter.com/i/status/1549651495997476864

it's in the same trend as the guy who mount gun to a drone.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 14 of 26, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote on 2022-07-21, 23:16:

My dear old mum has been coming out with this sort of anti-China nonsense a lot lately too - this is next level nonsense though I must say.

So ... the Chinese, in particular the CCP can be trusted? Various Chinese manufacturers never ever sell fraudulent good? Never ever look for new innovative ways to spy on the US and others? Never take pot shots at orbitting satellites? Really??

Reply 15 of 26, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chris2021 wrote on 2022-07-23, 05:14:
badmojo wrote on 2022-07-21, 23:16:

So ... the Chinese, in particular the CCP can be trusted? Various Chinese manufacturers never ever sell fraudulent good? Never ever look for new innovative ways to spy on the US and others? Never take pot shots at orbitting satellites? Really??

That's a description that fits practically every nation.

There are legitimate things to be mad about the CCP about (not so much the Chinese). This is just misguided nonsense.

Reply 16 of 26, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

well, i can say i was bought a robot manufactured in china, a horikawa knock-off, some time in the last 15 years probably. unfortunately it didn't last long, but i loved it all the same. it was cheap, it walked, stopped, doors flipped open, guns blazed and went rat-a-tat while the top half-rotated, and then it set off again. but eventually it broke, after not a great deal of use.

my real horikawa Fighting Robot was a masterpiece of (I assume) japanese 1960s manufacturing, scared me nearly to death aged 4, walked, stopped, the single gun lit up and fired swinging side to side, then continued on its way. best robot ever. eventually, proably within months, it ended up in the garden broken, rusty and filled with mud. happy memories.

i would buy any of them at the drop of a hat chinese konck off or the real horikawa, except horikawa prices are silly now: a fighting robot not fully working went for way too much for my taste last week.

Reply 18 of 26, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ZellSF wrote on 2022-07-23, 07:31:

That's a description that fits practically every nation.

There are legitimate things to be mad about the CCP about (not so much the Chinese). This is just misguided nonsense.

That's a relief. I didn't realize that "practically every nation" has China's near-monopoly over the manufacture of electronics these days, and has the same need to engage in proven wholesale theft and manipulation of information to the degree China does.

None of this is about "the Chinese" or being blindly "anti-China", despite the track record of the CCP in trying to spin every type of disapproval that way. It's funny how this stuff always seems to come from either (1) apologists, or (2) people who buy cheap Huawei or Xiaomi routers, and simply want to believe really hard that they don't have backdoors the size of aircraft carriers.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 19 of 26, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
VileR wrote on 2022-07-23, 09:37:

That's a relief. I didn't realize that "practically every nation" has China's near-monopoly over the manufacture of electronics these days, and has the same need to engage in proven wholesale theft and manipulation of information to the degree China does.

Everyone tries to do it to the extent they're capable of. If you think Russia and the US are moral saints beyond manipulating information and stealing what they can, you must have missed a lot of news. It's more understandable that you've missed what smaller actors are doing.

Really not seeing the near-monopoly on the manufacture of electronics either. A quick Google search gives me only results that they have a monopoly on raw materials, but you can't spy on people with raw materials.