VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've been using Mozilla Suite for quite some time now, but now that the writing is on the wall as far as which pacikages are going to be updated from now on, I've decided to make the leap to Firefox and Thunderbird. I never used any of the other components of the Mozilla Suite, so it was really just style changes that made me hesitant. The biggest one was Firefox's infamous download manager thing, which I managed to beat into behaving in a fashion I can live with.

I also found myself immediately downloading the following:
- Pinball Modern theme, because the default theme is crappy
- Flashblock, because I hate waiting for flash ads to load in order for me to be able to view a web page
- Single Window (tabbed browsing extension), because I hate when I click a link and it opens in a whole new window instead of a new tab. I like having only one browser window open with lots of tabs - it keeps my Windows task bar from getting cluttered, among other things.

I've heard that there is a Firefox tweak utility available that I might look into next.

Thunderbird, on the other hand, is quite nice. It seems to be more polished and less quirky than Mozilla Mail & News. In addition, it has built-in RSS support, so I don't have to fight with Forumzilla's quirks any more. It's kind of cool having my Comcast ISP POP3 email account, several RSS feeds, and the SDL newsgroup all accessible in one program with a consistent interface.

Unfortunately, it does seem that the overhead of running two separate programs is significant, as Firefox and Thunderbird have a larger combined memory footprint than Mozilla with a Browser and Mail & News window open at the same time. A difference of 20 megabytes really isn't significant when I have a gig of RAM though, so I can't really complain.

I need to get a theme for Thunderbird. I remember reading something about a version of Pinball for it, but I don't know if it's been released yet or not.

Reply 1 of 14, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

HunterZ, so as not to continue the hijack in the other thread, I will respond here. You said that you could live with Firefox's download manage if you could get it to not use a default download directory. If you go into the config file, look for "browser.download.useDownloadDir" and set it to false. It will now ask you every time where you want to save it, with the browse dialog open to the last folder you saved a DL in.

Also, if you have a broadband connection, there is a tweak that you can do in the config that will significantly speed up Firefox.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 2 of 14, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks. Actually I found that download manager setting in the options menu (using v1.0.4).

Do you know off-hand what that speed tweak is, or where I can go to find it? Thanks.

As an update to my previous post: I looked at some Thunderbird themes and didn't see anything good. The default isn't that bad though, so I'll live with it until/unless I see something better.

Edit: I tweaked several about:config settings based on this guide: http://www.tweakguides.com/Firefox_1.html

I left a lot of settings alone that the author recommended adjusting though.

Reply 3 of 14, by Targaff

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There's a plugin called Tweak Network Settings that does a lot of the back end changes automatically.

Intel CC820 | PIII 667 | 2x128MB SDRAM | 3Dfx Voodoo 5 5500 @ Dell P790 | Creative SB PCI128 | Fujitsu MPC3064AT 6GB + QUANTUM FIREBALLlct10 10 GB | SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-608 | IOMEGA ZIP 100 | Realtek RTL8139C | Agere Win Modem

Reply 4 of 14, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The plugin you downloaded to put everything in one window is actually functionality already built into Firefox. Change browser.tabs.showSingleWindowModePrefs to True and look in your Advanced preferences. 😀

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 5 of 14, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Found that one too, but thanks Targaff.

One small difference between Mozilla and Firefox that I don't like is that when I open a new tab in Firefox it doesn't put the cursor in the address bar so I can type one in. I didn't even know how used I was to doing that in Mozilla until I started using Firefox in earnest.

Reply 6 of 14, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
HunterZ wrote:

<snip> when I open a new tab in Firefox it doesn't put the cursor in the address bar so I can type one in.

That is correct if you use CTRL-T to open the new tab. But if you double-click on free space on the tab row (next to an existing tab), a new tabbed page is created, and the cursor goes to the URL field.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 7 of 14, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nope, not for me. I'm using Firefox 1.0.4. Besides, if I have to move my mouse to the top of the screen to open a new tab, then I may as well move it up to the address bar too 😜 Hell no.

Reply 11 of 14, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In my case I am still using Mozilla 1.7.8 because I haven't got a "composer" replacement. I also use Mozilla mail but I could live using FireFox + Thunderbird. Do you know any html editor (gui) similar to Mozilla's composer that will run standalone? 😎

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 12 of 14, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nope, but I'm not much into HTML editing these days. I did use Mozilla's HTML editor/composer component and found that it was good for viewing HTML from an editing point of view, but that it added a lot of bloat to my pages and that I had to fight with it to get it to do things the way I wanted (which was usually a less complicated way than it was trying to do things). I ended up using Mozilla to see how the page was laid out but used Notepad to edit it.

Reply 13 of 14, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think that Dreamweaver generates the cleanest code of all the WYSIWYG editors and is easy to use. You could pick up an older version for not a whole lot, though I would not go earlier than 4.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 14 of 14, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would suggest spending 20 minutes learning XHTML and editing it by hand -- it's not hard. (http://w3schools.com) The cleanest, tightest, and standards-compliant code will only come from a human. 😀 I don't think I've ever seen a WYSIWYG editor output fully-W3C-compliant code. That said, there is a stand-alone Mozilla Composer called Nvu.

Yes, it’s my fault.