VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Brawndo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't know if a thread like this has already been started or if it's against the rules or anything, but I thought it would be useful for the community to help each other out by sharing information about deals gone bad when buying retro hardware, particularly on eBay, due to bad sellers. Maybe this will help others avoid similar headaches and know who to avoid doing business with.

I'll start with my most recent experience. I bought a RIVA 128 complete in box from a seller a week ago (eBay username redacted) and the item still has not shipped, and the seller will not respond at all to my messages. It's a new account, but with eBay's buyer protection it was worth taking a chance. Tomorrow I will have to open a case with eBay to get my money back. This will be the second time in 2 months I'll have to leave negative feedback, which I have only had to do a handful of times in almost 25 years of doing business on eBay.

I particularly wanted to put this one out there since this item was a good price, and I could see others from this community being interested given what it is. It appears the seller has no intention of actually shipping it, if they even have it.

Screenshot-20220723-135800-e-Bay.jpg

Last edited by Dominus on 2022-07-24, 09:01. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 5, by ThinkpadIL

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Actually there are always sellers like that appearing on eBay from time to time, so I think it makes no sense to publish posts on each one of them.

What makes sense in my opinion is to give general tips, and there are actually two of them - if it is within 30 days window from the last delivery date - go open dispute on eBay, if it is later but within 180 days of your payment date, go open PayPal dispute. That's it.

Reply 2 of 5, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

"Open box".. English is a strange language.
For a moment, I thought it was about selling an original box without its contents.
Because, this was a thing on the platform +15 years ago.
People saw a box for a higher price and thought they'd get a NOS item.
In reality, it was just the box itself that was for sale. 😂

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 5, by ThinkpadIL

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote on 2022-07-23, 20:29:
"Open box".. English is a strange language. For a moment, I thought it was about selling an original box without its contents. B […]
Show full quote

For a moment, I thought it was about selling an original box without its contents.

There are also sellers that are selling only a picture of a real stuff. So beware, in the end you may not even get an empty box. 😄

Reply 4 of 5, by Brawndo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2022-07-23, 20:29:
"Open box".. English is a strange language. For a moment, I thought it was about selling an original box without its contents. B […]
Show full quote

Yeah "open box" is definitely open for interpretation. However if you read the eBay description of what an open box item is, it's an otherwise "new" condition item in the original box which may or may not include all the contents. That listing description is certainly used way too liberally. I've seen auctions listed as open box and it's literally just a used video game console with a single controller and absolutely nothing else. Yeah that's not what I consider "open box." I guess maybe in the sense that at some point in the past a box was opened to take it out? 🤣

But whatever, I took a chance on this item because the buyer protection program is very good, and I have credit card protection to back that up, so worst case I don't get it and I get my money back. What I don't get is why a seller would want to wreck their feedback score so early on for $30. If your intent is to scam people out of money, wouldn't you go for more than $30?

ThinkpadIL wrote on 2022-07-23, 20:41:

There are also sellers that are selling only a picture of a real stuff. So beware, in the end you may not even get an empty box. 😄

Yeah that appears to be the case here. Sucks for them, a negative feedback for your second feedback is not a good way to start selling.

Reply 5 of 5, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I've edited the original post, no need to name and shame (could make Vogons liable in certain cases). You took the chance and through eBay and Paypal you will get your money back.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper