VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 22 of 27, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For me it's usually when it's ruined past a point that it's worth keeping.

For example, I had a VERY prized copy of The Secret of Monkey Island - it was the copy my sister bought in 1991 - THE game, the exact copy, that got me into DOS Gaming, and someone "really close" basically trashed the house one night - trying to destroy as much as possible - and the most bothersome victim was that - the disks were messed up and/or missing, the only thing I have left is the Dial-A-Pirate wheel with the bolt in it, and the data off the disks which I'd stored, the manuals were wrecked more than the 30 year old coffee stain. Me and the wife looked at getting me another copy on e-bay but I'm not paying $152.00 for an original VGA release of Monkey Island - I'd rather just keep the money and the memories.

TBH I have way more than I need at this point, 7 486 machines (5 laptops, 2 desktops), 1 Pentium 75 MHz laptop for Win9x, 1 286, 1 386SX w/ Blue Lightning (driving the 486# up to8 if you count that chip), 1 Tandy 1000 V20 (8088 class) machine. I'm pretty well stocked for retro-computing. And now all my games are hosted on a e-z share thing on a 64GB USB Stick on my router that I can FTP into and grab whenever I feel like.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 23 of 27, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmm, I can’t even join this Facebook group, says I violated assist rule during signup

Answered truthfully was recommended in my feed was mainly curious what type of posts were there.

Maybe I should link this thread in the answers next time

0365A3B3-FACD-4EBB-BB8E-E53766ADB5DC.png
Filename
0365A3B3-FACD-4EBB-BB8E-E53766ADB5DC.png
File size
226.3 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 24 of 27, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Honestly it does feel good getting rid of a load of stuff and having space again. I'm selling maybe 75% of my stuff and binning 25% - the bits that are temperamental so I don't want to sell, some untested RAM i picked up in a bucket, a couple of MX cards that no one wants...

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 25 of 27, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Almoststew1990 wrote on 2022-08-30, 07:28:

I'm selling maybe 75% of my stuff and binning 25% - the bits that are temperamental so I don't want to sell, some untested RAM i picked up in a bucket, a couple of MX cards that no one wants...

You could sell all of those in a lot, as long as you properly declare it as "for parts only".

People who repair retro hardware can often find a use for such items. For example, one could transplant a memory chip from a GeForce 2 MX to a different, more desirable but damaged card.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 26 of 27, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Its like saying I am going to retire and live in paradise.
So you retire and vacation in paradise until your money runs out.
Then you end up coming back to civilization and working again.

I don’t collect hardware I just build simple computers to run games and programs.
So I just have a few computers. And all my computers works great. I don’t have any non-working broken computers or hardware.
If its broken beyond repair I send to recycle center.

Reply 27 of 27, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wish I could retire now and play retro games on retro hardware full-time. My nightmare is when I retire in 10 years all my retro gear will have died by then. Then I guess I will have no choice but to through it away.