ebay enters the ashbin of history

Topic actions

Reply 22 of 27, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Unknown_K wrote on 2022-08-29, 14:57:

You do know PayPal reports your transactions to the government for tax purposes.

I only sell things that I generally bought new at full retail.

As another alluded to it’s usually “illegal “ to tax when there is no overall financial gain, basically means everyone now has to become a business to write off all sales as being losses.

Extremely stupid and will dramatically raise tax preparation costs, but is the direction they have been moving for over a decade.

Guess I’m glad I stopped selling on eBay

Reply 23 of 27, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Unknown_K wrote on 2022-08-29, 14:57:

You do know PayPal reports your transactions to the government for tax purposes.

So when I do spend 20$ on cologne and have it shipped to me, the goobermensch is going to lnow about it? And levy penalties? Havent't sold anything in ages. Ain't nothing to report.

Reply 26 of 27, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chris2021 wrote on 2022-09-01, 16:05:

And whatever happened to those storefronts that would sell your items for you? Did ebay somehow do away with them somehow?

Likely drives “reporting” which again increases tax preparation costs.

These types of things should have hard requirements for
1. Affects businesses only
2. Affects people over a specific gross / income
3. Affects only entities that both make over $10,000 a year from 100+ non-vehicle sales

Sadly.gov just sees a financial source little understanding that individuals lack the ability to claim original cost against the fictional “profits “ they see.

Reply 27 of 27, by kennyPENTIUMpowers

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i went to list something a few months ago and when i got to the end and about to list it had a charge... there shouldnt have been a listing fee but there was for some reason...
so i sent a msg and got a reply that it was just a "glitch" and if i send another msg after the sale they will refund the fee.. i looked around and a few others had the same question going back 8+ mths...
so yeah an 8 mth on-going "glitch" that just happens to be in their favor.. sure it was only a couple of dollars but that is besides the point... it just felt like a deliberate scam..