Common searches

First post, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TnkJ8_BmSI

https://blog.google/products/stadia/message-o … aming-strategy/

For many years, Google has invested across multiple aspects of the gaming industry. We help developers build and distribute gami […]
Show full quote

For many years, Google has invested across multiple aspects of the gaming industry. We help developers build and distribute gaming apps on Google Play and Google Play Games. Gaming creators are reaching audiences around the world on YouTube through videos, live streaming and Shorts. And our cloud streaming technology delivers immersive gameplay at massive scale.

A few years ago, we also launched a consumer gaming service, Stadia. And while Stadia's approach to streaming games for consumers was built on a strong technology foundation, it hasn't gained the traction with users that we expected so we’ve made the difficult decision to begin winding down our Stadia streaming service.

We’re grateful to the dedicated Stadia players that have been with us from the start. We will be refunding all Stadia hardware purchases made through the Google Store, and all game and add-on content purchases made through the Stadia store. Players will continue to have access to their games library and play through January 18, 2023 so they can complete final play sessions. We expect to have the majority of refunds completed by mid-January, 2023. We have more details for players on this process on our Help Center.

The underlying technology platform that powers Stadia has been proven at scale and transcends gaming. We see clear opportunities to apply this technology across other parts of Google like YouTube, Google Play, and our Augmented Reality (AR) efforts — as well as make it available to our industry partners, which aligns with where we see the future of gaming headed. We remain deeply committed to gaming, and we will continue to invest in new tools, technologies and platforms that power the success of developers, industry partners, cloud customers and creators.

For the Stadia team, building and supporting Stadia from the ground up has been fueled by the same passion for games that our players have. Many of the Stadia team members will be carrying this work forward in other parts of the company. We’re so grateful for the groundbreaking work of the team and we look forward to continuing to have an impact across gaming and other industries using the foundational Stadia streaming technology.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 17, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I didn't expect it to last, Google has this bad habit of killing off anything they cant monetize with adds, hard to sell ads when almost noone wants your product and sees it as nothing but another google plus.

Reply 5 of 17, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheMobRules wrote on 2022-09-30, 06:27:

Apparently they're refunding all hardware and game purchases (at full price I assume)? I wonder how much that's going to cost.

Not much, because hardly anyone used it. 😁

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 7 of 17, by Namrok

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good riddance. A world where Stadia succeeds is a world where we have even less property rights concerning hardware and software than the illusion of ownership we're already left with. I'm sure someone will pull it off at some point, but I'm glad Google failing pushed off that future another 5-10 years.

Win95/DOS 7.1 - P233 MMX (@2.5 x 100 FSB), Diamond Viper V330 AGP, SB16 CT2800
Win98 - K6-2+ 500, GF2 MX, SB AWE 64 CT4500, SBLive CT4780
Win98 - Pentium III 1000, GF2 GTS, SBLive CT4760
WinXP - Athlon 64 3200+, GF 7800 GS, Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 8 of 17, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

At least they are refunding, I can think of a variety of other small launches that died on the vine.

I wonder if monthly service fees stay with google
(Considering the differences in plan the pay as you go might get more of the costs back to the user)

Reply 9 of 17, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Big Pink wrote on 2022-09-30, 12:00:

Relying on Google in any way is like building your house on sand. How many times must old proverbs be relearned?

After I lost my "purchase" of Monkey Island 2 SE on the iPad back when Disney acquired Lucasfilm, I hardly buy games as digital downloads. With the Switch for example I purely stick to cards/physical releases... Plus retro games of course. They can never take those away from us. 😁

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 11 of 17, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lti wrote on 2022-10-01, 15:51:

I didn't know that Stadia was still around.

If stadia was going to succeed it would have had no better opportunity than the pandemic.

So yeah, bad concept and better competition

Reply 13 of 17, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rmay635703 wrote on 2022-10-01, 15:53:
lti wrote on 2022-10-01, 15:51:

I didn't know that Stadia was still around.

If stadia was going to succeed it would have had no better opportunity than the pandemic.

So yeah, bad concept and better competition

Wasn't either of these things ..it was Google itself that killed Stadia ..ever notice just how little marketing and ads there were for it or just how few 1st party google gaming studios there were developing for it ?

Google pushed it for perhaps 3 months if we are being generous and then .. nothing but radio silence from them about it.

Google killed Stadia but not actually supporting it or marketing it or shit even keeping the few studios they had for it alive.

I can actually think of perhaps only two other companies that could provide a platform for streaming than Google and thats Microsoft and Amazon so we can exclude the better competition side of things as there are really only three companies that could do it on the scale required and own the hardware needed and I wouldn't say either MS or Amazon are better here.

The concept also wasn't terrible . .nVidia has much the same thing and IIRC even there you still need to have at least purchased the games to be able to stream them, the execution of the concept was ...the horrible part and in typical Google fashion they ballsed it up.

(I guess Cloudflare could but I dont know if they have the infrastructure required for such a huge service)

Last edited by TrashPanda on 2022-10-01, 18:56. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 15 of 17, by NTG2001

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

While Google may have failed miserably, I'm more worried about Microsoft and Sony succeeding with theirs (honestly though it'll probably just be MS that succeeds). People seem to be a little more interested in Xcloud and PS Now and I'm worried that we may still be looking towards a dark future. Hopefully that turns out to be wrong and I'm just being doom and gloom.

With Stadia failing from a company as big as Google, maybe it'll spook people enough to prevent streaming ever taking the mainstream. IDK, only time can tell.

Reply 16 of 17, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Don't forget Nintendo. They're already doing some cloud'ing with some Switch games, powered by Win7 clusters.

Stadia was already DOA from announcement, and early reception being poor because it showed way too much bubbled development in fiber-spoiled environments to make it a feasible console alternative with today's (and tomorrow's) infrastructure. OnLive history repeats.

And then there's the google service lock-in.... They don't care if you're a developer for a Stadia game as if they lock your Gmail, they'll lock you out of everything. It's happened to Terraria, having their stadia version cancelled as a result - which seems a bit silly to technically exist for a well optimized, small game with low sysreq that playing it on Stadia would mean downloading 190 whole terrarias a minute minimum.

One can only hope developers can release their Stadia exclusives elsewhere to make up for this.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 17 of 17, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote on 2022-10-02, 02:26:

OnLive history repeats.

Yeah, I was about to say... When Stadia showed up I was so confused why Google was trying to do what OnLive did. I honestly have no idea how these multi-national multi-billion-dollar corporations even work these days...

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων