Common searches

First post, by Dormat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recall it looked like this:
-Mostly black background
-Maybe a checker-patterned floor with some red color in the scene
-In the foreground, there were around 5 chrome ball-bearings/pinballs hovering slightly over the floor, spinning in a circular formation

Thinking back, I'll guess that this was just a few frames rendered in something like POVRay and looped continuously. It was a very smooth animation and you could see the reflections of everything in the ball-bearings.

Does this ring a bell for anyone? I can't even guess what the name was.

Reply 2 of 11, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Pretty slick for dos.

So it was actually a screensaver? As in dos would time out and it would activate?

Would it activate while running programs or just in dos mode?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 3 of 11, by Dormat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote on 2022-10-24, 03:29:

That's not the one, but thanks for mentioning it! I've never seen that one before. It's quite a good guess though. There's an extremely similar scene it that demo. The major difference is that the balls/orbs are circling parallel to the floor and not perpendicularly through it.

Last edited by Dormat on 2022-10-24, 04:01. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 11, by Dormat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-10-24, 03:39:

Pretty slick for dos.

So it was actually a screensaver? As in dos would time out and it would activate?

Would it activate while running programs or just in dos mode?

No, screensaver is, perhaps, an inaccurate description. If I recall correctly, it was one (maybe two) file and did not invoke any memory residency (TSR).

Reply 7 of 11, by Dormat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
liqmat wrote on 2022-10-24, 04:37:

I bet it was a FLIC animation. There are literally dozens if not hundreds of those from the 1990s. FLI, FLC and FLX files were everywhere back in those days.

After looking a this pack, I think you could be right: https://archive.org/details/3d_flics_2
But, that give me a new thing to search for, so thank you!

Reply 8 of 11, by Dormat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does anyone know of any repos or old shareware CDs that have a bunch of FLIs?
I reviewed all the links at FLIC (FLI/FLC) Animations, but don't see the one I'm looking for.

Last edited by Dormat on 2022-10-24, 06:20. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9 of 11, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dormat wrote on 2022-10-24, 06:14:

I reviewed all the files at FLIC (FLI/FLC) Animations, but don't see the one I'm looking for.

This might be useful. A search engine that indexes the contents of every CD ROM on archive.org: http://discmaster.textfiles.com/

Reply 10 of 11, by Dormat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Pierre32 wrote on 2022-10-24, 06:17:
Dormat wrote on 2022-10-24, 06:14:

I reviewed all the files at FLIC (FLI/FLC) Animations, but don't see the one I'm looking for.

This might be useful. A search engine that indexes the contents of every CD ROM on archive.org: http://discmaster.textfiles.com/

Wow. It even shows preview thumbnails. That's very powerful. Thanks!

Reply 11 of 11, by Dormat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The one below is very close, but now that I look at this one, I remember that the two circular groups of steel balls are on the same plane, one inside the other, spinning opposing directions and the view is above the plane of the balls.
http://discmaster.textfiles.com/view/6145/wos … .ZIP/8STEEL.FLI

Maybe it only ever got distributed as an EXE..