VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought this Corsair RM550x brand new a little over a year ago and I have been successfully running it in my 486 DX2 66mhz since new and today it failed, there was no bang or pop from a capacitor and there is no burnt smell it's just half dead, I plugged it into my power supply tester and it shows its only got +5VSB and +12 and no voltage from the rest ie -12, PG, etc before I bought this PS I asked if 550watt was OK to use on a 486 pc I would just like to confirm it is still OK and if a 550watt could be damaged by using it in a 486 with a good quality adapter with -5 volts being converted from the +12 volts, the adapter also has a 5 or 10watt resistor for continuous load from an orange wire the guy who made the adapter said it was to keep a load for some reason I can't remember why.

Reply 1 of 3, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The resistor in those adapters is used as a dummy load for the 3.3V rail, because it is not used by AT motherboards.

Regarding the failure, it's difficult to tell what may have gone wrong without seeing the insides of the PSU, do you know if the board is still working? You should check for shorts, maybe the short circuit protection didn't kick in soon enough and some components were blown. But that's just speculation on my part.

Reply 2 of 3, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would like to open the power supply but I can't in case it stuffs up the warranty I asked scorptec about it today and I'm in luck as it has a 10 year warranty so I'm sending it to them soon

Reply 3 of 3, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TheMobRules wrote on 2022-10-24, 19:24:

The resistor in those adapters is used as a dummy load for the 3.3V rail, because it is not used by AT motherboards.

Regarding the failure, it's difficult to tell what may have gone wrong without seeing the insides of the PSU, do you know if the board is still working? You should check for shorts, maybe the short circuit protection didn't kick in soon enough and some components were blown. But that's just speculation on my part.

I agree .

I would specifically check all the power inputs on the motherboards and also the -5V adapter for a dead short with ground . Make sure that dummy resistor on 3.3V hasn't failed shorted .