VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 22 of 30, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2022-11-17, 19:46:

4) Turtle beach Santa Cruz ( A.K.A. - KY2-Pro16 )
Pros: Easy to setup, Clear sound
Cons: Basic Audio Programs

I think you meant "Turtle Beach Monte Carlo".
Santa Cruz is a PCI card.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 23 of 30, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gerwin wrote on 2022-11-18, 16:52:

Oh yeah, you’re right. Thanks for the correction. 😀

Reply 24 of 30, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MarkP wrote on 2022-11-18, 15:31:

Aren't sound cards supposed to make noise?

We use the word "sound" to describe the sound that sound cards are supposed to make, and "noise" for sounds that come from a sound card, although they are not intended by the software. This is mostly due to the card being susceptible to interference from neighbouring cards (like the early Sound Blaster [Pro] cards), or due to poor voltage stabilization.

Reply 25 of 30, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gerwin wrote on 2022-11-18, 16:52:

Monte Carlo's audio programs aren't bad. They let you make MIDIs and play a keyboard and their fake hi-fi deck feels like one with knobs!!!

the real con's the drivers and amplification issues. Win95 friendly this isn't.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 26 of 30, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gerwin wrote on 2022-11-18, 16:26:

Acer Magic S23 (Crystal CS4232 + OPL3 + Midi WT Header + EEPROM with PnP presets)

This is a great card, very hard to find though in my experience.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 27 of 30, by zyzzle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I also like the PAS16. Still have mine. It was the first 16-bit sound card I purchased after my SB Pro, back in the day. The main reason that I choose it over SB16 is that it has far less noise, and much better frequency response. I also liked the OPL3 synthesis. The downsides are that PAS DOS drivers consume large amounts of DOS memory, and needs EMS as well. I never did purchase an AWE64, a GUS, or a Turtle Beach Multisound, but the GUS would be an interesting card to look for today. Too expensive, but I'd like to be able *finally* be able to see what all the hype was about. Its DOS compatibility is good, especially with nearly every tracker / MOD player out there supporting it! Game compatibilty for the GUS, and especially Turtle Beach was very poor to non-existant.

Reply 28 of 30, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
zyzzle wrote on 2022-11-19, 02:11:

the GUS would be an interesting card to look for today. Too expensive, but I'd like to be able *finally* be able to see what all the hype was about. Its DOS compatibility is good, especially with nearly every tracker / MOD player out there supporting it! Game compatibilty for the GUS, and especially Turtle Beach was very poor to non-existant.

I've found game support for the GUS Classic to be pretty good at least for games from the mid 90s. Epic Megagames games especially make good use of it thanks to their tracker music soundtracks (Jazz Jackrabbit, Epic Pinball, OMF 2097...). I find it generally works well for a lot of other games including classic ID Software, LucasArts, and 3D Realms games from that era.

In fact, just looking up on Mobygames they list over 500 games with GUS support: https://www.mobygames.com/attribute/sheet/attributeId,20/

Interwave based GUS cards (e.g. GUS PnP) is going to be a different story. That card is notorious for compatibility issues especially for DOS games.

Last edited by Shponglefan on 2022-11-19, 02:45. Edited 1 time in total.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 29 of 30, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jo22 wrote on 2022-11-18, 06:56:
SB16 CT17xx, because a) it has the old DSP (no hanging-note bug) b) uses jumpers/needs no Creative software c) has that fat, ba […]
Show full quote

SB16 CT17xx, because
a) it has the old DSP (no hanging-note bug)
b) uses jumpers/needs no Creative software
c) has that fat, bassy Noise Blaster sound (like old Genesis/Mega Drive) 🥲

^this
the "fat" sound is really enjoyable, I'll take that over less noise on newer cards any day.

and for OPL2 I really enjoy the original Adlib, Lemmings just sounds delightful on that.

anything more modern than SB16 I don't really have a favorite there's lots of great cards, but I enjoy the Terratec cards.

Reply 30 of 30, by drosse1meyer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cyberdyne wrote on 2022-11-18, 06:11:

ESS 1869. Perfect Sound Blaster PRO comp. ESFM is OPL3 sounding. No fuss drivers. No midi bugs. Nice aditional 3d effects, that you can control even in dos.

Yea, I just installed one in a 486 build, and was surprised as to how good it sounds overall. Dead simple to setup with ESSCFG

Not bad for an $8 find.

P1: Packard Bell - 233 MMX, Voodoo1, 64 MB, ALS100+
P2-V2: Dell Dimension - 400 Mhz, Voodoo2, 256 MB
P!!! Custom: 1 Ghz, GeForce2 Pro/64MB, 384 MB