VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DarcTangent

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,
Been reading lots of good information here and watching YouTube videos. I have just been going through my old computers. I have decided to clean up and build one DOS, Win95, Win98 computer and sell all the other old stuff I don't need. I have a K6-III+ 550 and two Canopus Voodoo2 cards which I think will be the heart of the system. I bought these new way back when. I have an Asus P5A ver 1.04. I picked up a floppy emulator and a CF to IDE adapter. Looking into sound card and 2D card options. I'd like to focus on compatibility but want the most performace on the high end I can reasonably get. I do have a Quadro2 Pro I'm thinking of using as the 2D D3D OpenGL card... I have a good selection of CPUs (Winchip2, Cyrix 6x86L) that I want to run tests on and will post the results with as may FSB and multiplier settings as I can. Thanks so much everyone for this resource and any advice will be appreciated!

Reply 3 of 5, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hello back!
First off I guess it should be said you don't really need all 3 systems, in fact you could probably get away with one.
It's very rare to run into incompatibility issues between Win95 and Win98 and Dos7 that sits underneath Win9x can handle the pure dos side of things.
But if its a case of you want all 3 systems then that perfectly fine and you may find 3 isn't enough (my wife wishes I was joking but I'm not)

SS7 and Voodoo 2 SLI, you definitely have some of the more desirable and expensive parts already for a Win9x build.
Will be interesting to see what other hardware you have if this is the level of stuff you have lying around.

Reply 4 of 5, by DarcTangent

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the welcome people!
Taking a page out of Phil's book, I'm trying to build one system that works with all three OSes. I have a bunch of old stuff and I need to organize and sell. This started when I was looking for a large CRT TV to play Duck Hunt on and saw someone looking for a Sony GDM-FW900. Long story short, I sold the monitor to Linus Tech Tips (they came to my house 10 hours away!). My lame claim to fame. After that I thought that I should do something with the rest of it. I have 21" and 19" CRT NEC monitors and a Kryotech SuperG as well as a Kryotoch Renegade. I will be rebuilding my refrigerated Chip-con prometeia 3200+ (3000GHz!) which was the biggest project I have done so far. I also have other old school water cooling projects. Laughable now, with aquarium pumps and car heater core rads. I have a Pentium Overdrive 83MHz for a 486. Canopus Voodoo 6Mb (I bought that new too. That was amazing in the day). That's most of the good stuff, I think. Erp, I'll shut up now.
I guess I'll have to play with some benchmarks and check compatibility but I hope the Quadro2 Pro and Voodoo2 SLI is a good combo. I'm back to more reading, but I'll be thankful for any suggestions.
Cheers!

Reply 5 of 5, by DarcTangent

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well that is interesting. The K6-III is not a K6-III+. With an old BIOS on an Asus P5A (1.04) the K6-III works flawlessly. The K6-III+ will not POST with many multiplier*FSB combinations. The only FSB settings that work with every multiplier is 66MHz and 105MHz. Also the K6-III does not have a 2.0x multiplier, but a 2.5x. The K6-III+ has 2.0x but no 2.5x.