VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

https://www.theregister.com/2022/11/28/epson_ … laser_printers/

Epson will stop making laser printers. This is an end of an era. I suspect they will still continue to produce highly profitable ink jets though.

Last edited by Kahenraz on 2022-12-03, 09:18. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 4, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The end of an era would be if everyone stopped making laser printers.
But there's still Brother, Canon, HP, Lexmark, Oki, Xerox...

Epson wasn't even a major player in that field - I've seen plenty of dot-matrix and inkjet printers from Epson, but probably not a single laser one.

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 2 of 4, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I swapped out my HP Office jet printer for an Epson All-in-One because it was PC and Mac compatible.
But because I never use it the jets have become clogged with dry ink.

I wish these Ink Jet printer manufactures could design a EASY to remove and clean jets.
This is probably the Number one reason why so many of these ink jet printers get thrown away.

Everything works on my Epson but the ink jets and it’s about 10. Years old printer.

So I just print on my Samsung Budget Laser printer which only costs about $100 NEW ten years ago.
They still work perfectly and toner cartridges are inexpensive that why I purchased it.

So I am looking at HP All-in-One Color Laser printers now.
Just not sure which model to purchase as there are so many.
But I want one that would accept toner Cartridges from third party manufactures too.

You can’t go wrong with HP laser printer.
We used them at exclusively at almost all of the large computer companies I worked at.
All except for ONE Very Large UNIX computer company that exclusively use Lexmark Laser printers.

I just wish they would make those ink jets EASY to remove and clean.
That the only reason I would ever purchase another ink jet printer.

Reply 3 of 4, by zyzzle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Inkjet printers are a total scam. Talk about "corporate grooming" for perversion and profit! That's inkjets. They successfully convinced everyone that they absolutely *need* color. Truth is, color isn't required on 99%+ of routine printing tasks.

Therefore, laser is the real deal, and it's always been the real deal. Cheap, reliable, and very professional.

Companies love to charge $20 per ink cartridge x 4 to 6 per printer = $120+ for a set. Often more than the entire printer costs brand new. (That's the "loss leader", the printer itself, you see). When the nozzles of one "dry" up, the entire printer becomes unusable -- by design, locked down, walled garden -- until you go out and spend another $20 on a new cartridge. Probably $19 of that $20 is pure profit for the printer manufacturers -- this is their bread and butter, after all.