VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've been a member here for years and haven't bothered posting about this because I have so little to go on.

Basically, there was a game I remember playing at school when I was a kid and only a few aspects have stuck with me and it's almost irritating that it pops into my head periodically and yet I have absolutely no clue how to identify it. I've looked from time to time on MobyGames or just plain googling it, and I've never found anything.

Time frame:
Rough estimate of 1994 to early 1997 time time frame. I would lean toward 1995-1996, but I can't say for sure because most of my classrooms looked the same at that school! I would have been done at that school in June of 1997, so early 1997 would be the absolute latest. Also, this was in the USA.

Technical stuff I remember:
It had at some voice acting and\or video playback with voices, so it almost had to be on CD-ROM.
Graphics were 8bit\256 color VGA level with smooth artwork and a fair amount of detail... not something from the 80s with flat colors and no details.
I sadly do not know if it was DOS\Windows or Macintosh... doubt it was anything else though, given the above.

Specific details I remember:
Some kind of distant overview of the map\gameworld that vaguely reminds me of a board game. I have had trouble finding anything that looked like this on Mobygames, but if I find anything to better describe what I'm remember I will post it. I think the map\gameboard was a darker scene? Could be wrong about that.

I don't remember traditional adventure game style walking around and clicking. I feel like you just traveled\navigated from the overview map and were presented with various puzzles or locations to do things at.

Can't remember the theme... vaguely feel like it was sci-fi or futuristic, but it could have been anything.

The most distinct thing I can remember is that at some point the player will reach a point where some strange bald guy (either he was glowing or he was in a bubble\ball or something, I think he was blue?... really weird) is suddenly on screen preventing your progress, and I'm almost positive it was either full motion video or a small portion of the screen playing a recording of a real person acting. He very clearly says in what I remember as some kind of mashup of a New York + Italian accent "Ooohh! You ain't goin' NOWHERE baby..." ... and... at that point I think you have to either solve a puzzle or go back and complete some other tasks before he will let you pass.

I also remember having this feeling that our teacher got the game either as some kind of mail-order thing, or it had some kind of connection to a retail product... like it was offered as some kind of promo on a cereal box, or something like that. But this could be totally wrong. I was not very old at the time, 🤣.

This was a very small school, so I doubt they'd have the money for the latest and greatest hardware of the time... we mostly played on Apple II systems from what I remember, but this machine was newer than the others.

Any suggestions are welcome. Can't be any worse than having this dumb game pop into my head once in a while over the past 25+ years and not knowing what it was.

EDIT: The overview picture at about 0:45 in this video of "The Island of Dr. Brain" is kind of like what I was talking about regarding the map\gameboard. The game doesn't seem to have any other similarities however. I'm thinking the game I played is a little newer and had less hand-drawn animation and more live-acted stuff.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 1 of 5, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Holy cow! I found it thanks to this reddit post!! I thought for a second that it might be health related, so before I added that to my post I searched for 90s health related computer games and found:
https://www.reddit.com/r/tipofmytongue/commen … lifestyle_game/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xn8O7nVkuc0

Dr. Health'nstein's Body Fun

I was a little off on several details, but overall it fit pretty well. It played like a board game. The bad guy wasn't blue, but he had this crazy fisheye effect on his camera that made him look like he was in a bubble. And he said "You ain't goin nowhere baby!" in a New York accent... exactly what I remember!

Amazing! I haven't seen this in probably 27-28 years.

Reply 3 of 5, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rmay635703 wrote on 2022-12-08, 05:15:

Good Lord that reeks from the extreme 90’s cheese and sleeze.

Yeah, it's really REALLY bad. Not surprising that it's so hard to find. 🤣

Reply 5 of 5, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It doesn't show it in the video playthrough, but if you feed your character really poorly I think they get really out of shape looking.

If you skip through and look at the different levels\maps, the names of some of the shops are hilarious. Definitely has a lot of cringeworthy '90s tropes though, for sure. I'm so glad to finally know what this was. 😁