Common searches

Reply 20 of 29, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shponglefan wrote on 2022-12-30, 02:41:
liqmat wrote on 2022-12-29, 19:32:

Many, though, are high quality so some great titles get buried in the sea of releases nowadays.

That's what is so wild to me. There are probably some fantastic games that almost nobody is playing, because they simply can't get noticed.

It's good that we have really affordable hard drives and cloud storage these days. Hopefully, the gems will be backed up. This is a lot better than hoping that someone kept a backup on a floppy stuck in their attic for a couple of decades.

Reply 21 of 29, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

One bonus of having a massive backlog is that I'm not in a rush to play any new games. Most of my game purchases are retro games or indies, which often go on sale for under $2.

I still feel guilty for having such a huge backlog, so I'd like to start one of those projects where you randomly pick a game and play until you die or reach a time limit. At least those games won't go unplayed and it would feel like less of a waste of money.

Reply 24 of 29, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Between physical, steam, gog, origin, ubisoft and amazon I have over 1000+ games, about 900+ of which are unplayed.

I try to think of my backlog as a retirement project..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 25 of 29, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

not having gone down the gog, steam, etc rabbit whole I don't own that many games "only" about 120.
Even still I keep going back to maybe 10 games, eg Doom, which though I've finished many times over still replay every year or so and have no chance of finishing even 1/2 of the games I own

Reply 26 of 29, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote on 2023-01-05, 19:46:

not having gone down the gog, steam, etc rabbit whole I don't own that many games "only" about 120.
Even still I keep going back to maybe 10 games, eg Doom, which though I've finished many times over still replay every year or so and have no chance of finishing even 1/2 of the games I own

120 is a modest amount, but interesting that you go back the same ones - i think we all do that, a kind of 80/20 rule (well, 98/2 rule a lot of the time!)

when a game is good i always want to exhaust it, explore more and do almost everything rather than move on to a new game

i also think about genres like racing games - there are plenty of them, but very soon they all feel the same so there is little return in playing a new one - i suppose all genres are like that but straight up racing games seem more so to me

Reply 27 of 29, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

GOG.com is the only digital vendor I use, and I do keep buying titles even though I am not likely to play them. The reason for that is that I view GOG.com as a service that I want to continue to use (off-site archive of titles I do and don't have on physical media), and if I don't give them some money from time to time, the service they provide will likely go away. I don't consider this as a Software-as-a-Service (SaS) situation, but rather something like the Internet Archive or Wikipedia or any humanitarian charitable organization. I wouldn't bet money GOG.com will be there ten years down the road, but I hope for the best and plan for the worst.

Reply 28 of 29, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gerry wrote on 2023-01-06, 11:31:

i also think about genres like racing games - there are plenty of them, but very soon they all feel the same so there is little return in playing a new one - i suppose all genres are like that but straight up racing games seem more so to me

I agree but don't think racing is any better/worse then other genres.
Say a F1 racing sim (which I'm not even into) from mid 90's has a very different feel to mid 2000's to one 5 years ago, even though for the most part its even the same tracks.
but improvements in graphics, more realistic simulation, etc make them very different games.
Will say that's what tuns me away from more modern games. I'll full admit I'm more into the arcade then realistic style, early 2000's is about the right balance for me.

For me 3D shooters feel all the same, but then I'm not a big fan of those styles of games. I get different weapons can give a different feel, but then so do different cars.

but yes you can only play so many games of a genre before you start to see the similarities.
Accept those sporting games like EA Sports titles where they release a new game each new season and apart from the updated teams only have minimal changes to the game itself. They must feel real same real quick.

Reply 29 of 29, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote on 2023-01-07, 17:11:
I agree but don't think racing is any better/worse then other genres. Say a F1 racing sim (which I'm not even into) from mid 90 […]
Show full quote
gerry wrote on 2023-01-06, 11:31:

I agree but don't think racing is any better/worse then other genres.
Say a F1 racing sim (which I'm not even into) from mid 90's has a very different feel to mid 2000's to one 5 years ago, even though for the most part its even the same tracks.
but improvements in graphics, more realistic simulation, etc make them very different games.
Will say that's what tuns me away from more modern games. I'll full admit I'm more into the arcade then realistic style, early 2000's is about the right balance for me.

a good point that there are changes over time that effectively alter a genre as a whole. Big difference between pole position and the latest F1 game 😀

on racers specifically, i can enjoy them a bit but it never really feels like i am driving a car so i prefer something with an arcade feel than one in which i have to think about tyre pressure (and it's either unnoticeable or ridiculous effect on the driving!)