VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

They already killed the Unreal franchise once, now they desecrate its corpse. A month from now they shut down the servers for all the Unreal/Unreal Tournament games and mess with UT3 integrating it into their online services over all platforms.
https://www.pcmag.com/news/epic-games-to-shut … rock-band-games
Running the multiplayer open now will be solely on the community.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 1 of 6, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I can understand discontinuing servers for old games, but why remove them from digital stores?

Just revise the advertised product accordingly and at least leave it up for sale. 😒

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 2 of 6, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shponglefan wrote on 2022-12-15, 21:57:

I can understand discontinuing servers for old games, but why remove them from digital stores?

Just revise the advertised product accordingly and at least leave it up for sale. 😒

The way Epic themselves words it "We have started removing games that were still available from all digital storefronts and are disabling any in-game DLC purchasing as of today" isn't super clear on are they going to remove ALL of the mentioned games from sale or just the ones that can't be played at all anymore after the servers go down. Removing all of them makes no sense whatsoever.

Reply 3 of 6, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It could make sense from a licensing point of view.

I remember, the N64 game Wave Race 64 wasn't freshly sold for a long time (not available on WIi Virtual Console for a while).

The reason was simple: In-game advertisements for companies like Coca Cola, Adidas etc were originally seen in background.

However, since those licensing agreements expired, the game couldn't be sold anymore in ots original from, without making modifications.
Or in other words, Nintendo wasn't able to just re-use the old binary image.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/189706-n … 80090560?page=2

Maybe something similar is happening here?
Perhaps there's another licensing issue. The game's engine, third-party code, legal disputes with the original developers..

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 6, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's not licensing. Unreal doesn't have restrictive licensed middleware - that began with UT3. Logos of publishers no longer involved were already dropped. MathEngine (Karma in UT2003/4) were bought out by Criterion (later desecrated by EA.)

This is Epic just taking their ball and going home. They've already done this to Rocket League and Fall Guys after their steam success.

Valve should sever the deal by this point.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 6 of 6, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know 333networks and the like handle Unreal, UT99 and several other things using GameSpy but how would we even run a third party master list for UT2004? Doesn't that rely on CD key validation? Are we going to get sued for trying to disable the CD key stuff in UT2004?

I really hate these big companies, always making idiotic decisions because their "masters" have no idea how anything works. I don't care if a "shareholder" swings by and "buys" a bunch of imaginary idiocy, that stuff never incentivizes me to do anything.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων