VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ThePerson98

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just got an unopened box of Wizardry 6: Bane of the Cosmic Forge at the dollar store. It is in very good condition too. Wonder how much this will sell for in 10 years..

Attachments

• banefront.jpg
    Filename
    banefront.jpg
    File size
    12.35 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Front of the Bane of the Cosmic Forge box.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • baneback.jpg
    Filename
    baneback.jpg
    File size
    12.16 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Back of the Bane of the Cosmic Forge box.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

AMD Athlon XP 2500+
Soyo KT600 Dragon Plus
ATi Radeon 9800 256 MB
Maxtor 200 GB
Western Digital 40 GB
512 MB PC2700 DDR RAM

Reply 2 of 13, by ThePerson98

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Minumum Requirements: IBM/TANDY 100% Compatibles
Contains 5.25" Disks.

640 K RAM, 2DISK DRIVES OR A HARD DRIVE

Works with: VGA, EGA, MCGA, CGA & Hercules

Full Digitized Sound, 16 Color Graphics
Supposrts Mouse & Sound Boards.

AMD Athlon XP 2500+
Soyo KT600 Dragon Plus
ATi Radeon 9800 256 MB
Maxtor 200 GB
Western Digital 40 GB
512 MB PC2700 DDR RAM

Reply 3 of 13, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm not sure, but I think they may have lied on the box, gambling that they were going to have mouse support before initial release (which didn't happen). I could be wrong though.

I also didn't know it came on 5.25" floppies - that's kinda cool. I have original 3.5" floppies that my cousin gave me, and of course there was the Ultimate Wizardry Archives release on CD-ROM.

Reply 4 of 13, by ThePerson98

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Heh, Wizardry 6 is sitting there in my closet..probably never to be opened. Funny thing is, that box is probably older than I am (Im born 1992)

AMD Athlon XP 2500+
Soyo KT600 Dragon Plus
ATi Radeon 9800 256 MB
Maxtor 200 GB
Western Digital 40 GB
512 MB PC2700 DDR RAM

Reply 5 of 13, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Damn, I was your age when that game came out.

I couldn't play it when my mom was around because it had demons and topless women (in 16 colors!). Speaking of which, my previous avatar was one of the main end boss characters...

Does your generation still like the old games? As a member of the Atari generation (yeah, even before Nintendo!) it's strange to think that there are now video game enthusiasts who don't remember the world before 16-bit consoles...

Reply 6 of 13, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

nice box. Those classic boxes are much more appealing then those dvd like things of today.
Although those are better spacewise 😀

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 7 of 13, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Agreed. Although I didn't care much for all the crazy shaped and sized boxes they were making in the mid 90s (I actually prefer the Wal-Mart sized boxes they use now over weird trapezoid shaped things that you can't open without a hacksaw), the regular large box design was just right for admiring on a shelf.

I actually saved lots of my old game boxes, although I eventually whittled down my collection to my favorites and then flattened them to save space.

Reply 9 of 13, by ThePerson98

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nah, I dont mind. I didnt know where to post still new to this forum.

AMD Athlon XP 2500+
Soyo KT600 Dragon Plus
ATi Radeon 9800 256 MB
Maxtor 200 GB
Western Digital 40 GB
512 MB PC2700 DDR RAM

Reply 10 of 13, by Xian97

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The Infocom boxes from the early 80s are what I remember most for being oddly shaped. The box for Suspended was a mask in the shape of a face. The Starcross box was a UFO shaped disk. I too prefer the smaller box sizes of today's games or even the DVD style boxes of the PS2 or Gamecube.

Reply 11 of 13, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Electronic Arts had some very innovative Folio-style boxes. They opened up and often told you about the game and its creators. Not the strongest storage mediums.

Early boxes, like the Ultima II box, are awe-inspiringly large. I like the large but slim design that seemed to evoke Wargame boxes.

Reply 12 of 13, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm assuming by "folio-style", you mean like the one that Starflight 1 came in: http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/starflight/ … ameCoverId,136/

Starflight was the first store-bought PC game I ever owned, and has remained one of my most favorite video games of all time. I got it for Christmas around the end of 1986 I think. I still have the game boxes and accompanying materials (manuals, disks, maps, code wheel, etc.) for both Starflight games 😀

Interestingly, the box for Starflight 2 was rather similar to the modern Wal-Mart-sized boxes of today. It was a bit larger though. The box had a front flap that was meant as the primary means of opening it, whereas modern boxes tend to have purely external front flaps that serve no purpose other than to double the box's self-advertising real-estate.

Reply 13 of 13, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Those are the ones. EA actually had a great deal of redeeming value back in the day, they published many of the best games of the 80s. Their folio packages had some very attractive packaging, which is why I pine for the uniqueness of the packaging of PC games. PC games used to come in all shapes and size and artists created the box art, not Photoshop hacks. Too bad circumstances forced them to adopt a more boxy design in the late 80s.