VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Ryccardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Was going to mention this fact in another post, but then decided to start its own discussion for it:

Around 2013 the battery on my early 2011 Macbookpro8,1 inflated, which actually bent out a corner of the all-metal case;
I noticed that when, surfing the web in bed at about 1 AM with school the following morning and deciding to call it a night, I folded the screen and dragged the computer up my thigh with a funny feeling, which actually was a decent cut...
The computer spent that night on the window sill 😀

And of course I bet no desktop enthusiast hasn't sliced at least one finger in an ordinary metal case!

So, were you ever hurt, physically or otherwise, by a computer?

Reply 2 of 48, by twiz11

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ryccardo wrote on 2023-03-05, 00:04:
Was going to mention this fact in another post, but then decided to start its own discussion for it: […]
Show full quote

Was going to mention this fact in another post, but then decided to start its own discussion for it:

Around 2013 the battery on my early 2011 Macbookpro8,1 inflated, which actually bent out a corner of the all-metal case;
I noticed that when, surfing the web in bed at about 1 AM with school the following morning and deciding to call it a night, I folded the screen and dragged the computer up my thigh with a funny feeling, which actually was a decent cut...
The computer spent that night on the window sill 😀

And of course I bet no desktop enthusiast hasn't sliced at least one finger in an ordinary metal case!

So, were you ever hurt, physically or otherwise, by a computer?

The occasional scrapes here and there. If the computer hurt me its because of my fault.

iami

Reply 3 of 48, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I reckon I've come close to an eye injury thanks to an exploding tantalum. Thankfully not yet though.

At work I would be wearing safety glasses all day. At home, I've learned to at least turn my head when powering on old boards.

Reply 4 of 48, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Pierre32 wrote on 2023-03-05, 01:01:

I reckon I've come close to an eye injury thanks to an exploding tantalum. Thankfully not yet though.

At work I would be wearing safety glasses all day. At home, I've learned to at least turn my head when powering on old boards.

Indeed. A couple of times... now I turn the head and put my hand over the board.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 5 of 48, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, and more times than I can count... The most recent one was my main PC where I managed to hit a heatsink right with my elbow... Hitting the proverbial funny bone already hurts, but doing so on a Noctua NH-U12... That's a lot worse with all the tiny fins

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 6 of 48, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Getting hurt was par for the course when building computers back in the day. Sharp edges on the cases and if you didn't end up with a few cuts, you weren't doing it right.

Also been cut and scratched by through hole components.

The worst so far was when I was scrapping a HDD years ago. The top cover had a hole with a sticker over it that also held in a metal disc. I pushed it out with my thumb.

When it popped out, I sliced my thumb really bad/deep because the edge of the hole was extremely sharp.

I still have nerve damage in that thumb.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 7 of 48, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I took a deskpro to the knee.....

Last week, just above the knee, lifting off the machine above it, and I think, damn this is a chonker.... because it's feet went goopy and stuck to the deskpro, so I'm lifting both... until the goop parted, halfway off the stack and it slammed into my knee and I had to hold it there, because what monster lets a vintage PC hit the floor, even if it deserves it.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 9 of 48, by dellguycomputers

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Not sure if it counts, but on the 4th of July a few years ago, I sliced my thumb on a broken graphics card when I was destroying it for fun.
I tried to throw it across my driveway, but a piece of the heatsink caught my thumb & cut it quite severely. The scar was still there for about 4 months after.
Since then, I haven't done anything involving metal without cut resistant gloves on.

Reply 10 of 48, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

a few times - mostly hand and lower arm minor abrasions, some older PCs are heavy enough that even without dropping them they can dig in with their corners etc

BitWrangler wrote on 2023-03-05, 04:46:

😀 That made me laugh!

Reply 11 of 48, by Virtua

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

a psu popped right next to my face. only psychological pain with that one

win 10 : x570-a pro • ryzen 5900x • geforce rtx 3070 • sound blaster x ae-5 plus
win 98 : k8-vm800 • athlon 3000+ • radeon 9600 • sound blaster live! 5.1

Reply 12 of 48, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gerry wrote on 2023-03-05, 19:49:

a few times - mostly hand and lower arm minor abrasions, some older PCs are heavy enough that even without dropping them they can dig in with their corners etc

BitWrangler wrote on 2023-03-05, 04:46:

😀 That made me laugh!

Fortunately it didn't put a big crimp in my digital adventuring, my knees are a bit touchy, an inch lower and I might have been limping for weeks and unable to lift anything stably. I was angry for like 15 mins until I discovered I could still walk fine. It got flesh mostly and it's still a bit tender, but mechanics good.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 13 of 48, by gen_angry

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Many little cuts over the years from old AT cases and those stupid ass razor thin ATX IO shields.

It isn't a completed computer until it has had it's blood sacrifice...

Reply 16 of 48, by DNSDies

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gen_angry wrote on 2023-03-06, 18:42:

It isn't a completed computer until it has had it's blood sacrifice...

Indeed. We all make our sacrifices to the machine spirit.
If I had a nickel for every time I'd received a small cut from unfinished metal edges on a cheap case, I'd have enough to buy a 3080ti, probably.
The only major injury I'd gotten was shearing off a fingernail trying to get a VLB card out of a death grip board.

Reply 19 of 48, by zyzzle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2023-03-05, 04:11:

Getting hurt was par for the course when building computers back in the day. Sharp edges on the cases and if you didn't end up with a few cuts, you weren't doing it right.

My experiences exactly! Those sheet-metal cases were *sharp*. The motherboards were sharp! (metal solder joints, some needle-sharp, so you'd get cut and not even feel it, only to see blood later on during your system build).

I've never been harmed by an exploding computer, battey, or heat from heatsinks, bare CPUs, etc. Although some metal USB sticks get so hot that they's easily burn fingers. Same with NvMe drives.

Miraculously, I never got hurt from solder or from using a soldering iron. (probably because I'm always so careful when I use one).