VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 40 of 48, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes once. Very deeply. I bought a PC Chips socket 462 mobo on ebay for 1$. NIB. Then blew it to smithareens. It died. And the biggest part of me died with it. I want my 12$ back (shipping included). I really feel this wound will never heal.

Reply 41 of 48, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJaWZbB2KUg

Thats about 10 years ago. I was filming myself while working on a PC inside a Photoplay Machine.
I tried to pull out the stuck power cable from the cd rom drive and when it finally unplugged itself it slightly destroyed my thumb...
If you cant see blood you should not watch this video 😁

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 42 of 48, by Mandrew

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Emotionally, yes.
I had a nice Digital CRT monitor I wanted to use, it worked fine before.
Turned it on, did my tests on the computer when suddenly in the complete silence the flyback started arcing and popping like a thunderstorm. I almost fell off my chair.
My heart was still pounding minutes later it was so loud and I was staring at the screen when it happened. I'm not used to dealing with high voltage so I didn't know what TF was going on.
I haven't touched that monitor ever since, it's like a demon that haunts me with jumpscares.

Reply 43 of 48, by LeCroebar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2023-03-05, 04:11:
Getting hurt was par for the course when building computers back in the day. Sharp edges on the cases and if you didn't end up w […]
Show full quote

Getting hurt was par for the course when building computers back in the day. Sharp edges on the cases and if you didn't end up with a few cuts, you weren't doing it right.

Also been cut and scratched by through hole components.

The worst so far was when I was scrapping a HDD years ago. The top cover had a hole with a sticker over it that also held in a metal disc. I pushed it out with my thumb.

When it popped out, I sliced my thumb really bad/deep because the edge of the hole was extremely sharp.

I still have nerve damage in that thumb.

Came here for this. Literally cut a band-aid on top of an existing cut before. Those old cases were brutal.
Between that and sharp leads from through-hole components i don't know how i escaped tetanus and lead poisoning.

Reply 44 of 48, by Demetrio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
LeCroebar wrote on 2023-08-05, 02:46:
cyclone3d wrote on 2023-03-05, 04:11:
Getting hurt was par for the course when building computers back in the day. Sharp edges on the cases and if you didn't end up w […]
Show full quote

Getting hurt was par for the course when building computers back in the day. Sharp edges on the cases and if you didn't end up with a few cuts, you weren't doing it right.

Also been cut and scratched by through hole components.

The worst so far was when I was scrapping a HDD years ago. The top cover had a hole with a sticker over it that also held in a metal disc. I pushed it out with my thumb.

When it popped out, I sliced my thumb really bad/deep because the edge of the hole was extremely sharp.

I still have nerve damage in that thumb.

Came here for this. Literally cut a band-aid on top of an existing cut before. Those old cases were brutal.
Between that and sharp leads from through-hole components i don't know how i escaped tetanus and lead poisoning.

Same.

The case for my Pentium MMX build has some really sharp borders and sometimes they caused some cuts on my finger 😁

When it happens, I'm always worried that blood will go on the motherboard but luckily it only has spilled on floppy data cables 😅

Reply 45 of 48, by Rwolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've had a few minor cuts as most can experience when building PC:s.

I do recall a cPCI rack in the lab that had some issues, it got sent to the UK manufacturer for repairs, and got back with the wrong PSU input voltage set...the electrolytic caps were large and the ears rang for hours after the explosion.

Also, I was told of an incident in a factory we had; we had just started using 10k rpm hard disks, and one of these was put in a tower PC that stood precariously on the edge of a bench. Someone rolled a trolley too close and banged the PC so it swayed - and the harddisk exploded inside the PC. (Gyro effect is powerful)
Luckily the cover was on and when opened, the glass disk platters has become shards that cut their way through the aluminium disk cover, some still stuck in the holes cut through the disk, others stopped by the steel covers of the PC itself. Nobody got hurt.

Reply 46 of 48, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Add this one to the list: Pinched fingers and jolted by an unplugged power supply.

I was just trying (and struggling) to put back together a 27in iMac after a hard drive swap, I'll spare you the details, but at the moment that I had to pull the LCD out again (ain't an easy feat on a 27in!), my fingers got pinched between the frame and the LCD.

All of that because like a dumdum I forgot to plug the LVDS cable (that I had mangled in the process of putting it back in), but that's not the fun part.

The fun part? Trying to reach for the cable, I suddenly felt like someone was repetitively stabbing my finger with a gazillion of tiny needles, yes folks, I accidentally touched the legs of the PSU's primary side capacitors.

Thankfully, these nasty little fuckers just had enough juice to give me a small tingle, and even more thankfully it wasn't plugged in (or I guess I wouldn't be there to tell on the tale).

Nevertheless, that day I had ordered a new LVDS cable to replace the one I had damaged, that new cable arrived two days after I gave the iMac back (LOL), just to add further insult to injury.

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 47 of 48, by wbahnassi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Had my share of cuts due to metal casings, but also a weird habit of trying to make sure that the fan is working well by touching it with a finger. BRRRRG! The higher the pain the better the condition of the fan 😅 I usually aim for the center of the fan to avoid the blades, but many times I miss.

Another one, when unscrewing an expansion card and the screw drops inside the case, and you start to fish it and scrape your fingers against other cards components. Yay.

Indirect ways I get hurt by computers is when getting below the desk to open them up, then bump my head on the way up.

Reply 48 of 48, by LeCroebar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Demetrio wrote on 2023-08-05, 05:58:

The case for my Pentium MMX build has some really sharp borders and sometimes they caused some cuts on my finger 😁

THAT is a legit retro rig!