VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I started using onboard sound cards years ago once they had become "good enough". I just recently upgraded to an ASUS WS C246 PRO, which produces some terrible electrical noise from the onboard Realtek sound card, despite it having high quality capacitors and being isolated from the rest of the board. I dug around in my parts pin and managed to find my old Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium PCIe from years ago; it's dated 2007 on the board. This eliminated the noise and sounds great.

Is there any reason to get a more recent PCIe sound card for Windows 10? This one seems to work just fine. I know that there are external DACs, but I'm only interested in something that I can hide away inside of my case, instead of putting a box on my desk.

Here is the Realtek audio section of my motherboard. It looks well isolated. I wonder why I'm getting electrical noise from it.

20230503_045210_resize_92.jpg
Filename
20230503_045210_resize_92.jpg
File size
427.21 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 1 of 8, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I really like my Sound Blaster ZxR.

There are newer cards that have even better SnR, but you probably won't be able to notice it.

The X-Fi series was really the last to do the hardware acceleration though so there is that.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did you try different outputs and newer or older drivers?

As far as cards, whichever one has drivers and works.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 8, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm at this juncture now with my W11 machine. I'd been merrily cruising along on the onboard sound, until I dropped an X-Fi in for fun. Now I can't go back.

Can't beat CMSS-3D, in my humble, not trying to start a whole conversation about it opinion.

Reply 4 of 8, by elszgensa

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

> X-Fi series was the last to do hardware acceleration

Does that matter when running Win 10? I thought hw accelerated EAX has been deprecated/dead since Vista. Is there anything else still making use of that feature?

Reply 5 of 8, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
elszgensa wrote on 2023-05-03, 23:50:

> X-Fi series was the last to do hardware acceleration

Does that matter when running Win 10? I thought hw accelerated EAX has been deprecated/dead since Vista. Is there anything else still making use of that feature?

This is a common misconception. DS3D has been dead since Vista, however EAX is still accessible through the OpenAL API which some games support. And this works all the way up to Win10/11 in modern PCs (assuming they have a XFi Titanium installed).

Reply 6 of 8, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Pierre32 wrote on 2023-05-03, 23:44:

Can't beat CMSS-3D, in my humble, not trying to start a whole conversation about it opinion.

I actually can't stand X-Fi CMSS-3D, which is enabled by default. However, I do like to enable X-Fi Crystalizer sometimes. It makes a huge improvement on highly compressed audio, for example.

Reply 8 of 8, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I use a SoundBlaster Z in each of my Windows 10 machines specifically because they eliminate noise that otherwise occurs via built-in motherboard audio.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards