VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've started adding NES,SNES,N64,Mame games to my Compatibility List but I also want to add review scores (yeah yeah reviews don't mean much blah blah blah), anyways I'd like to find a website or spreadsheet where I could easily download the reviews and add 'em to my list. Preferably a place that lists the reviews all on one page where I do have to type in each game one by one......Anyone know of such a place?

Reply 1 of 7, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Huh? How do these games apply to your list? You're going to play through every NES/SNES/N64/MAME ROM to make sure they work? I don't get it. Most emulator groups already have their own compatibility lists...and with the earlier systems (NES, SNES), almost no games have problems...

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 2 of 7, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, but ROMS are can be corrupt. Sure ROM management programs can check integrity and such but I don't trust 'em. Going to manually go through each and every one. Yipppeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 7, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You're insane. :p There are tens of thousands of ROMs out there for just the systems that Snover mentioned. There are also multiple emulators available for most systems.

Personally, I would recommend leave ROMs out of any kind of compatability list, unless you're testing compatability for a specific emulator, or a specific game across several emulators.

Reply 6 of 7, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, unfortunately I've come across corrupted/unfinished Roms and I'm going through my collection sorting through them. For those that ROM managers can find that does help out alot...but alot of my NES/SNES/N64 ROMS aren't in any known good list, and unfortunately for me I'm not going to have my collection rely on someone else's messy/lazy work.

Another benefit to adding them to my list is that I can pick and choose between the PC version vs the Console version and easily play the better one. MK2 SNES vs MK2 PC, Maniac Mansion PC vs Maniac Mansion NES (Duh easy one there!), FF7 PS1 vs FF7 PC, etc...etc.

But that's really not the issue. I'm looking for some score downloads for PC/Console's that I can add to the list. Gamerankings is the closest I can find but it's gonna be a PITA. The current console Mag's I can rip out their score cards but I don't have any old NES/SNES magazines any more so I can't do that. Does anyone know if there is any place online with magazine scans of old NES/SNES magazines?

Reply 7 of 7, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you using the latest versions of the DOS-based GoodXXX utilities? I'd be surprised if there are that many unknown NES/SNES roms in those utilties, and especially surprised if many of those unknowns are good, unhacked ROMs.

As for reviews, I don't trust 'em much (as you said: "yeah yeah reviews don't mean much blah blah blah") because I have my own subjective tastes and opinions that vary from those of others. Even on Home of the Underdogs' 1,000 point rating scale (0.00-10.00), there's a lot of variation in quality/fun among the top 25% of games (score-wise).