VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I received the Roland SC-88 (basically a third-generation Sound Canvas, with full SC-55/SC-55MkII compatability) and MT-32 MIDI synthesizers that I won on eBay over the last couple of weekends. I was surprised that they both arrived on the same day, as the SC-88 was shipped around a week ago and the MT-32 only a couple days ago.

Unfortunately I won't be able to test the MT-32 until tomorrow because I need to swing by Radio Shack and pick up some big-phono-to-RCA adapters because the MT-32 is so old that it has two mono female jumbo phono jacks for output instead of RCA jacks or a stereo headphone-sized phono jack. I also need a power strip because I'm using nearly every electrical outlet in my room and ironically had to unplug my MIDI keyboard in order to plug in the SC-88.

I connected the line out (RCA jacks) of the SC-88 to the line in (headphone jack) of my PC's on-board sound and unmuted the line-in input. My computer mixes the SC-88's output with its own in hardware and I hear both from my Logitech Z-5500D speakers at the same time (which finally arrived a few weeks ago, BTW).

I connected the MIDI-Out of my USB-to-MIDI adapter (that I bought in order to use my MIDI keyboard with my new computer) to the MIDI-In of the SC-88 and then set my Windows XP default MIDI output device to be the USB-to-MIDI adapter.

I tested lots of games with it using DOSBox and things went well. The DOS games I can remember trying include: Dune 2, TES: Arena, Betrayal at Krondor (floppy), Space Quest 4 (CD-ROM), Quest for Glory 4 (CD-ROM), and X-Wing (CD-ROM). Had a little trouble with Arena that was solved by factory resetting the synth (it's highly programmable and saves settings via battery backup). Didn't notice much difference between SC-55 and SC-88 modes. Dune 2 sounded great - quite a bit different than any software synth I've tried with it over the years. I think I first played it on my cousin's computer, which had an SCC-1, but it was 15 years ago so I don't remember what it truly sounded like. Quest for Glory 4's cheesy intro music seemed better than most - if not all - softsynths that I've tried (it has some weird arrangements that expose all kinds of subtle tuning errors in many softsynths, plus it uses electric guitars prominently, which are a bane of MIDI). I was disappointed that the Choir Aahs in the Arena intro sounded more synthetic than human, but I guess that's what Roland was going for, as I found some variation sounds that actually sounded more human.

I noticed that the SC-88 has support for the default set of CM-64 sounds, but didn't bother trying since I'll hopefully have a working MT-32 tomorrow.

Also tested with my own MIDI compositions in Cakewalk SONAR. Sounds generally less muddy than the Live/Audigy soundfont synths that I originaly composed them on, and chorus and reverb effects are a lot more noticable and higher quality (in my opinion). Playing with SC-55 and SC-88 specific variations of GM instruments was fun, but I didn't notice much difference in about two thirds of the variations that I tried. Also, it seemed a lot easier to balance/arrange the volume levels of the instruments/tracks than it was using soundfont synths (or software synths in general).

I also tried playing a few of the Sound Canvas tracks from the old Windows 3.1 game Mordor, using MIDI-Bar. I noticed that the notes cut off when I told MIDI-bar to stop playing, and they still kept going when I started a new song, but this is almost certianly a bug or oversight in MIDI-bar.

I'm falling asleep, so I'd better finish here for now...

Reply 2 of 7, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Most of it is not very good, and I haven't recorded any of my new stuff to mp3 (mostly because I never consider any of my stuff to be finished). Here's some of my older stuff that I recorded a while back though: http://us.share.geocities.com/mirat_beryn/music.html

Reply 3 of 7, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not bad. Could use a little more variation, IMHO, unless you intended to use them as background music for a game. That said, it's lightyears ahead of my efforts (can't post any -- I have only the sheetmusic since the MIDIs were lost in a hard drive crash a few years back).

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.

Reply 4 of 7, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah my problem is that I can come up with some really cool sounding loops or ~20 second long ideas, but I'm not yet good at fleshing them into an entire song without it sounding repetitive. There's also the fact that I've been heavily influenced by game and mod tracker music.

I think I might eventually make a good techno artist, except that even I think most techno music uses the same instrument sounds and drum beats/styles too much 😉

Reply 5 of 7, by Xian97

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I remember the Roland MT32. It was a fun little box to play around with. A friend had one. I remember using it with the old Atari ST program Music Studio, where you could place notes on the staff and have the synth play it back. I was impressed at the time with it's polyphonic capabilities, the ability to play back more than one sound at a time. Most synths of the mid 80s were mono. The MT32 could do up to 8 voices at once if I remember correctly. I believe that Music Studio still works in the Atari ST emulator STeem.

Reply 6 of 7, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

According to the PDF manual I have, the MT-32 supports 8 melodic and 1 percussive channel (actually, Roland calls them "parts" because you can actually map different MIDI channels to different "parts"). However, it can actually play up to 32 sounds at once (it's technically possible to play more than one note at a time on a single MIDI channel by telling the synth to start playing a note on a given channel when one is already playing on that channel).

It has a palette of 128 melodic instrument sounds and 30 percussive sounds, which are all highly programmable via SysEx commands and front-panel controls.

Having never owned an independent, dedicated synthesizer unit before, I find both the front panel and programmability features rather impressive.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I'm going to have to wait another day to test my MT-32 🙁 I stayed a little late at work, so I didn't have time to stop by the 'Shack before it closed (plus I wouldn't have had much time to play before I have to go to bed). Fortunately, I'm planning to get off work early tomorrow...

Reply 7 of 7, by Xian97

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ah, you are correct. Polytimbral was the word I should have used, not polyphonic. When I played with it at my friend's I could assign one voice to a piano track, another to a flute, another to an fx voice, and have them play simultaneously - basically turning the one box into 8 synths and a drum machine. That's what impressed me about it back then. It's commonplace now, but back then it was pretty amazing.

Seeing the prices on ebay I might just have to pick up one to play around with it myself.