VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So, not sure if this has been like this all the time after the software transition a few years back, but.... when I try to print a page (CTRL+P), I only seem to get plain text + main pictures on a white background. And YES, I do have background graphics turned ON.

Is that normal ? I was expecting/wanting the full page layout and colors, not this pared down version.... 🤔😥

What I see:

VogonsActualPage.JPG
Filename
VogonsActualPage.JPG
File size
97.72 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

What I get:

VogonsPrintPage.JPG
Filename
VogonsPrintPage.JPG
File size
125.57 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 1 of 9, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is my result from Firefox, not unlike yours, I'm afraid. And didn't use simplified page, and I didn't disable the backgrounds either.

printing-Vogons-page.jpg
Works for me anyway.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 2 of 9, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It looks like it depends on the site. It's the same on 2 different browsers. One Chromium based, and one Firefox.

Screenshot from 2023-05-25 07-50-47.png
Filename
Screenshot from 2023-05-25 07-50-47.png
File size
248.38 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Screenshot from 2023-05-25 07-50-14.png
Filename
Screenshot from 2023-05-25 07-50-14.png
File size
186.49 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 3 of 9, by Ryccardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, it's normal, of you look at the CSS you can (barely) see that a lot of options have the conditional ("media selector") of "@media screen"... and "Background graphics [and color", was called in IE6] is, well, just about that, not forcing the ordinary rendering in general;

You can do that in Chrome of all things but, like any feature that might be useful to the user that's not a mere consumer of commercial sites and webapps, is pretty well hidden:

Screenshot 2023-05-25 09.10.47.png
Filename
File size
114.47 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 4 of 9, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RandomStranger wrote on 2023-05-25, 05:52:

It looks like it depends on the site. It's the same on 2 different browsers. One Chromium based, and one Firefox.

I actually have no problem with that, because when printing a site, I'd rather use simplified view and disabled backgrounds to keep it simple (and to save ink). But to each his own, and I can understand if bestemor wants to print the site as seen on the browser.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 5 of 9, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote on 2023-05-25, 07:59:

I actually have no problem with that, because when printing a site, I'd rather use simplified view and disabled backgrounds to keep it simple (and to save ink). But to each his own, and I can understand if bestemor wants to print the site as seen on the browser.

I usually print them into PDF to archive certain sites, like CPU support list from motherboard support pages.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 6 of 9, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RandomStranger wrote on 2023-05-25, 09:38:

I usually print them into PDF to archive certain sites, like CPU support list from motherboard support pages.

That is EXACTLY what I was trying to do.
Print to PDF, I mean... no 'ink' involved 😆

And I then really like to keep the page visually intact, instead of just a wall of text etc.

Reply 7 of 9, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ryccardo wrote on 2023-05-25, 07:14:

Yes, it's normal, of you look at the CSS you can (barely) see that a lot of options have the conditional ("media selector") of "@media screen"... and "Background graphics [and color", was called in IE6] is, well, just about that, not forcing the ordinary rendering in general;

You can do that in Chrome of all things but, like any feature that might be useful to the user that's not a mere consumer of commercial sites and webapps, is pretty well hidden:

So, is there then a (simple!) way for non-coder 😅 to force the page to 'print' to pdf with the original layout and background mostly intact ?
(not sure I got that CSS(?) picture, or what it means vs adjusting printing options)

Reply 8 of 9, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bestemor wrote on 2023-05-25, 10:43:
That is EXACTLY what I was trying to do. Print to PDF, I mean... no 'ink' involved 😆 […]
Show full quote
RandomStranger wrote on 2023-05-25, 09:38:

That is EXACTLY what I was trying to do.
Print to PDF, I mean... no 'ink' involved 😆

And I then really like to keep the page visually intact, instead of just a wall of text etc.

I haven't tried it myself, but I found this article on superuser.com, I hope it's helpful. Apparently they suggest a third-party utility named wkhtmltopdf, which is open source.

There is also a utility named PDFelement by Wondershare, but it's a commercial program, and I'm not sure it is safe.

Reply 9 of 9, by Ryccardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bestemor wrote on 2023-05-25, 10:43:

Maybe it's more practical to save the page as a page?
HTTrack is (IMO) the classic full site/page downloader, wget with a bunch of options is the runner-up, but for one-offs I like "Save Page WE" which, instead of redownloading the page (as the typical browser's native save feature does), dumps it as currently loaded while also embedding all external resources with the "data:" method and seems to do a quite fine job -- even though I eventually go through them and remove all the crap, leaving just the content ready to be packaged in an ePub 😀