VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 22, by doshea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, it seems like the Wikipedia article does combine two fairly separate product lines (apart from the fact that C++Builder often included C++). Oddly though there are separate pages for Turbo C and Turbo C++! I suppose they're separated by how similar their names are, not by how similar the products are.

I just took a look at the readme.txt file from the free 5.5 compiler and it's definitely based on C++Builder, in case anyone had any doubts about what that Wikipedia page said.

Reply 21 of 22, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So being this is an unofficial Delphi thread, what do you all think of 8? I don't remember using it much, but my copy was installed and registered on an old laptop (long gone). I even remember imaging tje hard drive, but if I still have those cds I haven't a clue where they are. I'd like to install it on something more modern. Even if it's just to see it running.

I can't remember the exact procedure. Usuallya company will email you a file or something once you send them your serial number etc.

Reply 22 of 22, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I found an old D4 cd. Attempted to install it on Windows 11. Got dozens of errors towards the end, some not found stuff or whatever it was. But it seemed to install. I had to go back and rename a file ( delphi32.ddelphi32.dro to delphi32.???, yes that became the actual filename.extension). If the first time you pull it up a certain error will make the reason obvious. It's apparently a common error when installing 32 bit Delphi on 64 bit Windows, 10 or 11. But ... NO COMPONENT PALETTE. Schnitzel!! So read a couple of comments on various forums. Redid the installation w/o or with minimal files copied (a registry only install). Problem solved. For now. Haven't written anything yet. But components can get transferred.as they should.