Common searches

Apple Silicon computer SSD

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 58, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, I know Apple sucks and I myself have had bad experiences with their products at times, but as a content creator what are the alternatives? Windows 10/11 "Pro" annoy the hell out of users if they choose not to use Microsoft products and services (at least from my experience). Linux has no good photo and video editors available, the ones I use on Windows are labeled "Garbage" by the Wine Compatibility Database, and not to mention driver support for Canon printers is mediocre (at least from what I've heard from one person online).

As much as I wish I could use Windows 7 for the rest of my life instead of macOS, it's just not practical for me to do that because Microsoft hasn't released any public security updates for it since a few years ago and software is dropping support for it everyday, if it hasn't already dropped support for it.

Reply 21 of 58, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
KCompRoom2000 wrote on 2023-06-28, 02:20:
Yeah, I know Apple sucks and I myself have had bad experiences with their products at times, but as a content creator what are t […]
Show full quote

Yeah, I know Apple sucks and I myself have had bad experiences with their products at times, but as a content creator what are the alternatives?
Windows 10/11 "Pro" annoy the hell out of users if they choose not to use Microsoft products and services (at least from my experience).
Linux has no good photo and video editors available, the ones I use on Windows are labeled "Garbage" by the Wine Compatibility Database,
and not to mention driver support for Canon printers is mediocre (at least from what I've heard from one person online).

As much as I wish I could use Windows 7 for the rest of my life instead of macOS,
it's just not practical for me to do that because Microsoft hasn't released any public security updates for it since
a few years ago and software is dropping support for it everyday, if it hasn't already dropped support for it.

I can feel your pain. I've been in a similar situation for years.
The whole selection of platforms available is poor. It's like being forced to chose between diseases.

I do boycott Windows 10/11 and thus refuse to get any new x86 PC - older OSes aren't supported anymore, anyway.
x86 (x86_64) has become a walled garden, too, since UEFI dropped CSM support. You can no longer boot independent OSes without signature.
And without freedom and backwards compatibility what is x86 still worth, anyway ?

So next best thing would be macOS / Apple M1 as a new computer platform. It can even virtualize the ARM version of Windows 10 by using Parallels/vmWare etc.
And Windows 10 for ARM has an x86 and x64 emulation built-in, so it can run Win32 utilities like WinAMP or IrfanView.

That being said, I'm still stuck on a Raspberry Pi (as my main PC) since 2018 or so, because I refuse to support Windows 10/11. I have ethical concerns, too.
The old PC I had before was a Windows 7 PC with 16GB of RAM, SSD etc. But after Windows 7 went EOL, there was no purpose to fix/keep it anymore.
And Windows 8.1 was incompatible, anyway, due to the increased requirements ("You can't install Windows 8.1 because your processor doesn't support CompareExchange128").

PS: Raspbian, err, I mean Raspberry Pi OS™®©, on the Pi is very unstable.
The file manager constantly crashes the desktop, if multiple operations (=multitasking) are underway.

The whole permission nonsense and the many multiple versions of the same "DLLs"(libraries, dependencies) are a nightmare, too.
You need multiple versions of Python, for example. Then, one version of a library also pretends to be another version for compatibility.
This again conflicts with the real version the other versions tries to mimic. *sigh*. Linux is a mess. 😢

Edit: Oh, and I don't trust the Linux filesystems. So far, old NTFS from Windows XP seems to be the safest.
It has Journaling and usually doesn't corrupt. Thus, I use the NTFS driver (NTFS3G/Fuse ?) on Linux to access my external HDDs.
Maybe that's helpful to others in a similar situation. 🤷

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 22 of 58, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Linux has no good video editors ? Kdenlive is perhaps not my favourite cup of tea. But the last music video I made for a friend. Was made with Kdenlive, and Kdenlive is good. OpenShot is another great video editor for Linux. And if I am not mistaken, both editors are open source. Perhaps I have been in "Open Source Land" for way too long, but some of the driver uploads I did, before the site vogonsdrivers came about. There I used Linux for uploading, and it still kicks arse, in comparison to uploading with Windows. Anyway I am not going to any of the other stuff right now. But anyway those were my two cents about video editors on Linux .

Reply 23 of 58, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
zyzzle wrote on 2023-06-22, 06:59:
leonardo wrote on 2023-06-20, 15:31:

If I had to hazard a guess, could this be an availability issue? I know production is starting to ramp up again after the unspecified virus of unknown origin, but if this particular part became scarce, that could explain why Apple has moved to only including it in higher-priced tier systems.

If it were anyone but Apple, I'd agree with you, but hey, this is Apple, and Apple knows exactly what they're doing and they've calculated the best ways in which to fleece their highbrow customers. It is sickening that they charge $200 for an SSD upgrade and hundreds of % markup vs what one can purchase a regular SSD for. 2TB gen4 NVMe SSDs are now running only slightly over $100. Memory is the same deal, cheap. Apple intentionally -- and by design -- charges a 300-400% markup on drives and memory because they're Apple.

It could just be me (and I didn't go into business school or anything like that), but isn't setting the price on a commodity something that one does strategically to offset expenses besides the direct cost of the parts involved? I just always imagined that what Apple was doing was well established practice. ie. Your Steinway piano isn't as much better than the Yamaha next to it as the price would suggest, but because it is better, people are willing to pay much more for it relatively than what the difference in quality alone would imply the value is. The markups on the high tier products fund R&D and a whole host of other things the company does more so than their lower priced offerings.

...but again, I'm not a business school graduate so how would I know. 😉

[Install Win95 like you were born in 1985!] on systems like this or this.

Reply 24 of 58, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
WolverineDK wrote on 2023-06-28, 12:07:

Linux has no good video editors ?

DaVinci Resolve can used under Linux.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 25 of 58, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2023-06-22, 11:50:

Those Macs with the 256gb SSDs are going to be the First Macs to Start failing and when they do you have to throw it away because you can not replace the SSD as it is soldered onto the Logic board

Unless you're running some specific software that's hard on your drive, even a basic 256G drive will last much longer than most spinning drives. That's enough for Apples target audience of Instagram "media professionals". Still a waste, though.

I'm actually impressed that they are shipping machines with non-upgradable 8GB of RAM for $600. Noting says "powerful" like having to manage browser tabs.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 26 of 58, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No.

It is like value of the computer went down sudden if I hear anything that is considered important that potentially fail and SSD *is* finite endurance. Endurance means finite use and finally fails, much like hard drive does. Therefore *MUST* be replaceable helps with value of the console or computer. Another reason for need to have replaceable SSD is two reasons: PC computers warranty runs out in 1 year, and too expensive to replace motherboard for next another 2 years, and when cost got reasonable around 5 year mark, the computer is now obsolete. Much earlier obsolete earlier than the one with replaceable SSD.

For console, it is no problem sending out back to the Sony or Microsoft for SSD replacement providing still supported, and IS expensive but still in line with average repair cost but when they stop supporting these, then consoles suddenly is worthless due to cost of replacing soldered SSD is still costly due to requiring skilled microsoldering.

And for Microsoft's Xbox Series S/X is bit costly and more currently difficult due to extended labor due to extra work to get to the M.2 SSD in Xbox Series S/X and has long list of requirements to make this work, hopefully by now that new development in recreating using any SSD, no restrictions and no need for original files in near future.
Microsoft made this difficult: SSD is last part of disassembly process requires total disassembly. Which is much work. Currently, you need the defective SSD that still has access to files to extract one file which is unique to the console and a correct replacement SSD, this which is in limited supply as most of these is used, none are new because these were recovered from another console.

Customers and repair people do not like these crap. We, customers prefer replaceable new SSD and easy system software re-installation for any computers and consoles including Sony. In other words, stop doing this crap meaning replaceable SSD sourced using easily purchased from any M.2 SSD makers and easily reinstalled in blank state without *requirements*, *NOT* soldered and proprietary SSDs.

Memory also is another that is another failure rate that is slight chance too and should be replaceable, not soldered in PC or Mac boards.

But good news is new connection standards already established but Apple is absent from this. This new method is consists of thin spring contacts shim between motherboard and the planar memory module, kept together by screws. Height is much less than the socket. Nice thing is, the contact shim is replaceable too!

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 27 of 58, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pentiumspeed wrote on 2023-06-28, 15:22:

No.

It is like value of the computer went down sudden if I hear anything that is considered important that potentially fail and SSD *is* finite endurance. Endurance means finite use and finally fails, much like hard drive does. Therefore *MUST* be replaceable helps with value of the console or computer. Another reason for need to have replaceable SSD is two reasons: PC computers warranty runs out in 1 year, and too expensive to replace motherboard for next another 2 years, and when cost got reasonable around 5 year mark, the computer is now obsolete. Much earlier obsolete earlier than the one with replaceable SSD.

To play the devil's advocate once again - if the lifespan of your SSD exceeds that of the useful life of the other hardware in basically all use scenarios, and building this cellphone-sized motherboard with all the parts integrated is cheaper than manufacturing as separate replaceable components and then putting them together, then would it not follow that it makes sense to do so?

Most people who use this kind of hardware are not attached to it sentimentally. After about six years of use (ten for those who really stretch it out) the system is replaced. Nobody (outside of collectors and enthusiasts) really want to be using hardware that is 10+ years old. I am yet to see any Macs with SSDs fail because the SSD write cycles were exhausted in regular use, and there are already machines more than 10-years old that shipped with SSDs out there. I'm aware this is anecdotal though.

Would someone put in a bigger SSD or more RAM closer to the end of a Mac's life to extend it - sure! ...but apparently those people do not exist in great enough numbers to justify the trade-off that comes with making the parts separately.

--

...and just for the record, I agree with you. I would like to be able to replace the internal storage and RAM in my computer.

[Install Win95 like you were born in 1985!] on systems like this or this.

Reply 28 of 58, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

We, customers prefer replaceable new SSD and easy system software re-installation for any computers and consoles including Sony

I think you'll be disappointed to know that the majority of people do not think or act in their own best interests, at least when it comes to tech.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 29 of 58, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Munx wrote on 2023-06-28, 16:47:

We, customers prefer replaceable new SSD and easy system software re-installation for any computers and consoles including Sony

I think you'll be disappointed to know that the majority of people do not think or act in their own best interests, at least when it comes to tech.

Specifically computers, PS4 and all Xbox one models:
Around here, we do hear from customers that they actually prefer replacing the "storage" rather than computer and is disappointed when found out and most of them is usually just over 1 to 2 years old. The ones that can be repaired, got approved for repair. Most that is more than 3 years, but not 5 years old, ones that can be repaired, got fixed with new storage drive. Ones that is either 5 years old or more we recover data or marked as irreparable, if data is recoverable, get backed up for another replacement computer.

This is through our work where I work. I know this, as we repair stuff at work daily. Even from 1993 through 2002 or so, I worked at other computer shop, lot of customers wanted their 1 to 4 years old computers rebuilt or their failed hard drive replaced.

Last week, I told a inexperienced tech do not spend much time on a 2008 mac notebook as this is very old and not supported, do a data back up to another newer computer.

Yesterday, I fixed a Xbox 360 S fake overheating issue by replacing couple of resistors that increased in value for $150 CDN. Yes, includes cleaning and quality thermal re-paste and cleaned out external power supply. All of the xbox 360 through Xbox one (original) external power supplies; have a internal small blower fan means dust build up, they can be taken apart and cleaned. Just tricky bit is popping off pegs feet.

Cheers,

Reply 30 of 58, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think Apple is losing customer base by building computers with non upgradeable/replaceable RAM and SSD.
Even the 2013 Trash can Mac Pro had replaceable RAM and SSD.

I heard sales of the M1 Macs is the lowest of all Macs

Attachments

• IMG_6509.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_6509.jpeg
    File size
    183.43 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IMG_6510.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_6510.jpeg
    File size
    183.5 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_6511.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_6511.jpeg
    File size
    183.87 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_6512.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_6512.jpeg
    File size
    164.01 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_6513.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_6513.jpeg
    File size
    186.83 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 31 of 58, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leonardo wrote on 2023-06-28, 16:02:

To play the devil's advocate once again - if the lifespan of your SSD exceeds that of the useful life of the other hardware in basically all use scenarios, and building this cellphone-sized motherboard with all the parts integrated is cheaper than manufacturing as separate replaceable components and then putting them together, then would it not follow that it makes sense to do so?

That's actually another perfectly useful part to pile up into e-waste, because you can't use that SSD separately from M1.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 32 of 58, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To KCompRoom2000 and any one else, I agree with so many things in the thread. I hope my former post was not seen as a start on some flame-war from my side of the world. I just disagree, that no good video editing software exists on Linux. Other than , I am indeed reading every post in the thread, cause it is highly interesting.

Reply 33 of 58, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

How's the Kingston NVME SSD failure rate? Ran into this, windows installer does not see, even blanked, also this PC's UEFI bios wouldn't recognize the SSD or appear in the boot even the bios detects the SSD correctly as model number but none else, and I can access it via USB adapter on another PC. Yes, this is 12th gen CPU and all the goodies. We are in process of getting approval for purchase of a WD black NVME SSD.

I had no issues with UEFI stuff till now and I have a HP mini 800 G5 and installed blank new 1TB WD black in it and started up the windows 11 installation stick. No problems.

Cheers,

Reply 34 of 58, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Man the Apple hate is kind of fun these days. Have I been so lucky as to have had no ssd wear issues, a cracked screen or hinge problems after having an Air M1 with 2 years of non stop use?

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 35 of 58, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, this appears to be the difference between Intel based Macs and Apple Silicon Macs.
Intel based Macs have replaceable components ( Repairable )
Apple Silicon Macs have an “ALL soldered on components” ( Disposable ) ( Non-replaceable components ) like a laptop motherboard.

Reply 36 of 58, by lti

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There were definitely Intel Macs with soldered SSDs and RAM.

What really annoys me is when other laptop companies (not Apple) try to claim that soldered RAM is faster and uses less power when it's just regular DDR4 chips like you would get on a SODIMM. Dell used that excuse for making proprietary RAM modules, although I heard that there was an effort to make CAMM a JEDEC standard and qualify it for higher speeds. They just aren't there yet, so the big 128GB module is DDR5-3600.

Reply 37 of 58, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
WolverineDK wrote on 2023-06-28, 20:41:

To KCompRoom2000 and any one else, I agree with so many things in the thread. I hope my former post was not seen as a start on some flame-war from my side of the world. I just disagree, that no good video editing software exists on Linux. Other than , I am indeed reading every post in the thread, cause it is highly interesting.

No no. No need to worry, you didn't say anything wrong I think.
Personally, I just have sort of a love-hate relationship with Linux. The FOSS applications of the platform are usually fine, my complain is more about the distros.

Intel486dx33 wrote on 2023-07-08, 17:30:

Yes, this appears to be the difference between Intel based Macs and Apple Silicon Macs.
Intel based Macs have replaceable components ( Repairable )
Apple Silicon Macs have an “ALL soldered on components” ( Disposable ) ( Non-replaceable components ) like a laptop motherboard.

I think the same about the Power PC days.
Back then, the Power Mac series was extremely service friendly.
Just look at the Powe Mac G3 Blue/White. Everything is accessible.

Hm. I'm not sure what to make kf current Apple.
After the iPod/iPad and iPhone releases, the IT company had changed to a fashion company.

The only thing that they still seem to care about were the artists, the producers, the professional users. Their colleagues, so to say.
The user base they felt related to. Their "family members", maybe.
But even those user groups are no longer as important to Apple as they used to be.

In fact, it's a surprise that Apple does still produce Macs, at all.
Because, that's not a matter of course.
Apple was one of these companies that were believing entering a post-PC era.
An all tablet PC and smartphone era. Other self-acclaimed "experts" preached same nonsense for years.

But apparently, they all realized that "apps" have to be designed and programmed somehow.
And the modern end devices (smartphones, tablets) aren't really suitable for this. Big monitors, a keyboard, a mouse, a geaphics tablet.. These tools are still needed to develop.

So yeah, it's not bad that Apple produces new Macs.
I'm not sure why they're so "closed", though. It's unnecessary, really.

While I can understand the need for highly integrated SoCs due to the new I/O concept (internal star or bus topology, all parts can access RAM directly) and the hardware-locked SSDs (part of Apple's secure boot counterpart), I don't see the purpose of gluing things together.

Because, it makes cleaning of the international fans almost impossible, for example.
A few screws and the use of plastic clips surely would have had been an alternative.
It worked in the past, after all (Mac Mini, for example).

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 38 of 58, by lti

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2023-07-09, 00:33:
Personally, I just have sort of a love-hate relationship with Linux. The FOSS applications of the platform are usually fine, my […]
Show full quote

Personally, I just have sort of a love-hate relationship with Linux. The FOSS applications of the platform are usually fine, my complain is more about the distros.
But apparently, they all realized that "apps" have to be designed and programmed somehow.
And the modern end devices (smartphones, tablets) aren't really suitable for this. Big monitors, a keyboard, a mouse, a geaphics tablet.. These tools are still needed to develop.

My problem with Linux is software support. Windows is the only OS that runs everything I need to use, but it's also my least favorite OS due to the changes Microsoft has been making over the past few years. I keep installing Linux on an old junk computer and then replacing that computer with something better that only has the latest version of Windows installed.

I remember the claims that students only needed a tablet and physical keyboards were obsolete. Imagine writing those college (university for the non-Americans) papers with an on-screen keyboard. It was painful enough on the usual cheap laptops with keyboards that made the Apple butterfly keyboards look reliable, like my Toshiba where keys stopped registering after three months or those HPs where key caps randomly fell off. I eventually gave up on that Toshiba and wrote everything on an older laptop with a working keyboard (I wonder how weird it looked to submit Word 2003 format documents in 2015).

Reply 39 of 58, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't much care what Apple does. We have an open architecture over here.

I know somebody who built a powerful "Hackintosh" a few years ago for video editing, which was his primary employment during the economic shutdown. He doesn't rely on that anymore, but still likes to have it available for odd jobs.
With Apple's architecture changing again that system is becoming obsolete. I guess he needs to run the latest software versions for whatever reason. So if he wants to continue with video editing work, his only options are to buy a very expensive real Mac or migrate to video editing on Windows. I don't think the latter is going to happen so he might be spending a lot of money on a Big Mac with cheese, which will be worthless when it's retired. His Hackintosh would still be a very good PC.