VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have 6 or 7 somewhere. 2 disc set, has an illustration of a very German looking girl. The question I have is this a good package for creating iso's from more or less contemporary cds/dvds (about 100). I have a big pile of older stuff and would prefer it all to be on magnetic media.

Reply 1 of 6, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

no, use Alcohol 120% or so

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 6, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nero is fine for general purpose software, and for CD audio too, I believe, but not for copy-protected CDs (games mostly). Alcohol 120% is indeed better for that, and still not perfect.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 3 of 6, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

NRG format might be usable for multi-session images, though. The format can be read by many other programs (ex. MagicISO).
Except DOSBox and PCem/86Box, of course. They're limited to ISO or CUE/BIN.
A few years ago I used the Nero Virtual Recorder to archive book CDs and shareware CDs..
Not protected games, though (saw no reason if there are No-CD patches).

Edit: Now that I think of it, the other program mighr be more useful for games.
But make sure it's the correct version. New versions may nolonger be as, um, "efficient".
If you know what I mean. CloneCD was another popular program, with a similar fate.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 6, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Commercially speaking UltraISO is possibly, if not definitely the best ISO making program out there. But if you are looking for a free and open source, then Aaru is your goto.

https://github.com/aaru-dps/Aaru

Last edited by WolverineDK on 2023-07-05, 13:56. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 5 of 6, by LSS10999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know some formats supported replicating copy protection such as SafeDisc to some extent but in most cases you still need to rely on their drivers (Alcohol 120% or DAEMON Tools) to actually work.

There are many proprietary formats for CDs... I'm not sure if your physical media has any copy protection. If not, it's better to stay with standard ones, such as ISO (single track), or BIN/CUE (multi-track).

PS: Alcohol 120% now provides a free edition for both retro and modern systems supporting up to 2 virtual drives, but that edition offers no copy protection support.

UPDATE: Read this before you consider using the free edition. TL;DR: The free edition is not clean.

Last edited by LSS10999 on 2023-07-29, 05:39. Edited 1 time in total.