VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This thread is for discussing games made and/or published by a now-defunct company named Tsunami Media.

I first heard of them from the game Blue Force that I got in a 10-pack of CD-ROM games that was in the bargain bin of a local store about 10-12 years ago. I had recently got my first CD-ROM drive (an 8x IDE which I put in my 120MHz 486) and wanted some cheap games for it.

The pack was pretty cool. Noteworthy games included Dune 2, Darklands, and probably Blue Force
Less noteworthy but still in my CD case: CyberRace, Jet Fighter II, Shadow President
Games in the pack that I only played once but still have in my CD case: Maelstrom, Microcosm (I don't remember which, but one of them refused to run on my computer at the time - I think I got it to run on a different computer about 3 years ago and it turned out to be a crappy FMV shooter)

I actually didn't play Blue Force much, but the two demos on it were awesome - they both took up more space on the CD than Blue Force itself! The demos were:

Flash Traffic. This was an interactive movie game where you would watch long live-action scenes and then make a choice about what people should do. This one was about some terrorists that were making a nuclear bomb. The acting was actually pretty decent (except for the voice of the main character that you would hear when hovering the mouse over the possible dialogue options - he sounds like a redneck cop with a beer gut). I guess the full version was 3 CDs due to all the movie data. I see the game for sale for around $8+shipping and would buy it if I actually saw any reviews from people who've played it all the way through.

Return to Ringworld. I guess this is one of Tsunami's more well-known titles. I actually forgot which game disc this demo was on for many years and never managed to play it again until tonight. Not as fun as I remember, but I seem to have less of an attention span for adventure games than I did back then (sadly). HotU has the game up for download (haven't downloaded it - at least not recently), but it seems to be a ripped version without voices, as it's only about 25MB or so. My demo, by contrast, is about 120MB. The voice-acting seems pretty good, although the main female character seems snippity and the narrator's voice is so flat that it gets annoying after you've heard it more than once.

MIDI music in both games sounds extremely professional on my Roland SC-88.

I've also acquired a copy of Protostar from HotU, which I've heard people claim to be a sequel-in-spirit to the Starflight series (probably my favorite video game series of all time). I'd really like to see a full manual for this game though, as I seem to run out of fuel and can't send a distress signal like I could in Starflight. On the other hand, there seems to be a cheat key (something like Alt+X) that warps you to a trading outpost, and I'm not sure whether I should feel guilty using it or not. I haven't got very far in this game despite playing around with it several times over the last year or so that I've had it.

Protostar only supports MT-32, Adlib, or PC Speaker for music. MT-32 music is great but sparse, although they use it for some pretty nice atmospheric sound effects (I especially like the bar in the trading outposts - the bubbling sounds are way cooler than in Adlib mode). The game is pretty light on Soundblaster sound effects as well - it's too bad they didn't do a CD version with voices (if in fact they didn't). I should also note that the game won't detect OPL2 hardware in DOSBox unless you lower the cycles quite a bit.

I've heard that Silent Steel is also a great interactive movie game from Tsunami, and that it was also one of the first DVD-ROM games (if not the first). It seems to be pretty expensive still - easily around $50-75.

Reply 4 of 13, by cheeb007

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Flash traffic is an excelent game. it grips you to the storyline. the video is not very good seeing as the game was made in 1994. the game is short and causality is non-exstant. IT RUNS IN DOS ONLY! you will need Dosbox and d-fend (google it) or a machine that runs dos. Silent steel is one of the best FMV games out there. it is much improved over flash. it is much longer and has causality. the video is much improved due to the fact it runs in windows. now the problem i had with it under XP is there is no player voice due to no MCI sound driver. besides that the game runs fine. both of these FMV games are a great play with replay value. Steel is kinda hard but there are many walkthrus out there so look it is worth it. have fun in retro gaming.

Reply 6 of 13, by jinx2131

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm going to revive this:)
I have both FLASH TRAFFIC and SILENT STEEL. They are both in boxes somewhere. I love the games, but I'm a sucker for FMV.. has anybody gotten any of these to run in DOSBOX yet (before I dig for them... save me some time if they dont work)?

Reply 8 of 13, by jinx2131

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

True the video is very primitive.. but the stroyline and gameplay considering it's an ALL FMV game--- it's actually very good. I remember when I first played the demo and spent years looking for it in stores. It was the only reason I opened an EBAY Account. I found the game and am in the process of making ISO files to try it out in DOSBOX..

Well...I put the files into ISO's and mounted them in D-fend Reloaded... and it works absolutely perfect. I played a while until i died so I haven't gotten to switch disks yet, but should not be a problem!

Reply 9 of 13, by Marian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Tsunami is responsible for another game that they would probably prefer we all forget. 😉

But since they are being discussed, here it is; it's called Man Enough, and it is a FMV dating simulation game:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/man-enough

I live about a half a mile away from where the Tsunami offices used to be.

Looking at eBay, as of right now there is a copy of this up for sale; it shows up on eBay from time to time.

Reply 10 of 13, by Corak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does anybody know how to rip midi music from Tsunami games?
I tried to detect their midi format, but failed. They use something exclusive.
Currently ScummVM code supports them, but how to decode them to normal midi and extract resources?

Reply 12 of 13, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Silent Steel is a 4-disc game, no?

I too forgot. Need to check the CD folder.

I bought this game sometime after reading the review in Computer Games Strategy Plus magazine. The seriousness in this game matches Legend's Mission Critical, IMHO.

Playing a multi-disc game seems easier on PCem, rather than Dosbox, since you can "change" the cd-rom (ISOs) on the fly in PCem. (I'm using 86Box which is based on PCem). On the other hand, using a real CD drive in the host system of the Dosbox with real CDs might work too, for changing CDs on the fly.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers