VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

1. In Windows 10, whenever I am using Windows Explorer (the basic file manager) and I open a folder, then if I haven't been in that folder before, or at least not recently, then it always defaults to the information order of:

File Name, Date Modified, Type, Size.

Even though I'd prefer it to be:

File Name, Size, Type, Date Modified.

I can of course change the order manually, but Windows soon reverts back by itself. So is there any way to permanently set Windows to display the files' information in the order of File Name, Size, Type, Date Modified, please?

2. Also, you know how Windows is supposed to alter what file information it displays according to what type of file is mainly in the folder? So if it's mainly program files then it shows the file type and program length (in KB, or MB, or GB, as appropriate), as in my point 1, above. And if it's mainly music files it shows the names of the files, their play length (in minutes or hours), and so on? Well, I want to turn that feature off, and for Windows to always show the files as though it's just general stuff, so filename, file size, type, etc. I know you can set a folder (or folder tree) to a specific type, but Windows soon forgets this, and chooses it's own settings again. It's there any way to change it to how I want and for it to be the default for all folders, and for Windows to not change this setting behind my back later?

Reply 1 of 6, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This setting is not global, It is set when you are in current folder. Any new folders doesn't.

Need to go to main settings for the drive.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 2 of 6, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Pretty sure this is what I do about 2:
https://winaero.com/disable-folder-type-disco … ery-windows-10/
All my folders are in list view, without any automatic media detection. Only folder that won't ever behave is Downloads.

Reply 3 of 6, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pentiumspeed wrote on 2023-07-30, 18:52:

This setting is not global, It is set when you are in current folder. Any new folders doesn't.

Need to go to main settings for the drive.

Cheers,

How do I do that, please?

ZellSF wrote on 2023-07-30, 18:54:

Pretty sure this is what I do about 2:
https://winaero.com/disable-folder-type-disco … ery-windows-10/
All my folders are in list view, without any automatic media detection. Only folder that won't ever behave is Downloads.

I will try that when I get home, thanks.

Reply 4 of 6, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Before opening any folders on a drive, Set the view first for that drive. After that, should the view set for all the folders. Also need to open and set up options in the advanced settings to make settings same for whole drive's folders.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 5 of 6, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Should be in prefs or properties from the root of the drive as mentioned.

Other settings can get put back to default when updates are applied, most annoyingly.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 6 of 6, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This has been bugging me since forever and every new version of Windows is getting worse in this regard, forcing some more unwanted smartness.

You set the view preferences for the whole drive and all folders and for a moment everything is fine. Then you go into your "photos" folder and add a "2023 vacations" or "my favorite band's discography" and add "2023 album". Or you empty an existing folder and then put files again in it. Boom, your preferences for the whole drive aren't there anymore.

OK let me do this the old hacky way (ZellSF post). Then big "Feature" update resets the registry setting... you get the idea.

If they were trying on purpose to show things in every way possible except the one you want, they wouldn't have achieved it so good.