VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 40 of 46, by retrogamerguy1997

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I finally completed everything in this release. I think if I ever return I'd probably just do the main game and call of the machine. The Nintendo 64 version included wasn't bad, but it's not the real Quake 2.

Reply 41 of 46, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I went and bought this remaster (the PS4 version). I was never a fan of the game, but it was very reasonably priced and I want to encourage Night Dive Studios to release more of their games on consoles.

This release doesn't alter my personal opinion of Quake 2, but as someone else said "If I was a fan of Quake 2, then this is the remaster I would have been hoping for".

retrogamerguy1997 wrote on 2023-08-22, 19:08:

I finally completed everything in this release. I think if I ever return I'd probably just do the main game and call of the machine. The Nintendo 64 version included wasn't bad, but it's not the real Quake 2.

I read somewhere (I think it was an interview with the Q2 N64 developers, in an N64 magazine, back in the day) that Quake 1 on the N64 didn't sell too well, which was blamed at least partly on potential N64 customers allegedly deciding not to buy a game that they had probably already played through on the PC, so then when an N64 port of Quake 2 was proposed, the developers decided to make all new levels, so that N64 fans of the PC version would be eager to buy a whole new version with fully original levels. But Quake 2 N64 still sold badly, allegedly because most N64 owners didn't realise that it wasn't just a straight port of the PC versions with the same levels.

I don't know how the N64 version compared quality-wise to the PC version, but I almost never see the game discussed on N6 forums, then or now.

Reply 43 of 46, by Tarvis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote on 2023-08-20, 02:02:

(i.e. 3dfx only providing gamma correction normally at 1.7 gaslighting other GPUs as 'too dark',

I thought about this statement some more, I want to make the case for 3dfx brightness/gamma being 'correct' and that OpenGL renderer is the one who is wrong, primarily because 3dfx's gamma offset makes the final result on your screen line up pretty close to Software renderer's brightness at the same vid_gamma values. I don't think that's a pure coincidence.
I think q2 GL renderer simply never implemented changing the screen's gamma, much like Q1 GLQuake.
The end result being that if you move the slider all the way to the left (vid_gamma 1.3) SW, GL, and 3DFX renderers all are about equally dark. But as you increase vid_gamma, 3dfx and Software get brighter while OpenGL doesn't really because it just brightens up the map textures a bit without affecting the lightmap or your display's gamma.

In short, I think "vid_gamma 1.0" is in fact intended to have a final gamma on screen higher than 1.0, similar to Quake 3, and Quake 2 OpenGL simply never implemented it fully. Though 3dfx's screen gamma's effect on the 2d pics is also questionable.

Reply 44 of 46, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Quake2 pushes SST_GAMMA and SSTV2_GAMMA variables only for the 3dfx driver and shouldn't use the gamma slider to factor in any intensity scaling on texture loads. This should however not apply to the Voodoo3 using default OpenGL (as my shots were)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 45 of 46, by Deffnator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote on 2023-08-25, 05:12:

Quake2 pushes SST_GAMMA and SSTV2_GAMMA variables only for the 3dfx driver and shouldn't use the gamma slider to factor in any intensity scaling on texture loads. This should however not apply to the Voodoo3 using default OpenGL (as my shots were)

You should dabble with the newest builds of arghrad at knightmare's discord, he released one there that works better than ericw's alpha tools for Q2
Quakewulf is using that and it fixed many of the lightning issues that came out on old maps.